Prepaid Envelopes

Options

Comments

• student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    These envelopes are *NOT* prepaid. They are "business reply" envelopes which means the postage is paid by the issuing company when the mail is delivered to them. (Hence they all have a Business Response Licence number on them).

Using them to send mail elsewhere is ILLEGAL and is the same as not using a stamp at on an envelope.

This is is not a money saving tip, just like saying "save money, just steal stuff from Tesco" is not. :o

I should have thought that this thread should be closed, as this site does not promote illegal ways to "save money", only genuine 100% legal ones.

By all means reuse the envelope itself, but black out the response licence bit and STICK A STAMP ON IT.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not just seal the envelope up and post it back to the company it came from - if we all did this on a regular basis it might help stem the flow of rubbish through the letterbox! ;)

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • agent007_2
    agent007_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Even better write your name and address on a piece of paper together with "Please remove me from your mailing list." and send that back instead of an empty envelope. I'm sure you'll have more success that way. ;D
  • BazzaD_3
    BazzaD_3 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    If you're having trouble with lots of junk mail then get off the junk-mail lists by contacting the mail preference service: https://www.dmaconsumers.org/offmailinglist.html
    It takes a while to filter through but in no time you should see your junk mail levels drop. Any junk that you still get send back the pre-paid envelopes with the junk stuffed inside ;)
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must admit having registered with the fax, telephone and mailing preference service havent had too many problems - hope it lasts! :)

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If only the TPS could be used for business phone numbers. I have lost count of the number of sales people who have interrupted my work asking to speak to whoever is responsible for the phone bills. Fortunately I can head them off at the pass very quickly by saying we don't have BT phone lines!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hoskins
    hoskins Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    :'(:'(
    I live in Portugal and I have to walk 2 kms to collect my post
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BazzaD - your link seemed to be American (it costs $5 to register) the UK one is Mailing Preference Service and it's free.

Walking 2K to get your mail - only to find out it's junk :o? Put's it into perspective huh? :-/
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    oh no! are the royal mail really going to bother forking out to take you to court for the price of a stamp?Or even a few postage stamps? I don't think so! So why not just reuse the envelopes, the likely hood anything would happen to you is more or less impossible!

Man was arrested last night for defrauding a junk mail firm for 26p,he plead guilty and he was sentenced to 6 months prison time. *MuhaHahAha*
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    or..you could email the junk mailers some doggy poo back in their kindly paid evelopes they provided.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure