IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Park Right: The easy way to avoid parking tickets. Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• alexkerr
    Options
    My wife recently got fined for displaying 2 tickets.

She bought one and displayed it. I think the first was for about 90 mins.

Within that 90 mins she realized that she was going to have to be a little longer.

She bought a second ticket for 30 mins and displayed that next to the first.

She returned with about 5 mins to go to find a ticket. She had been there for 115 mins. The total time she was allowed there was 120 mins no return.

Should she have a ticket?

I believe not - she was entitled to have her car in that sopt for upto 2 hours. Fair enough if it was over. If she had originally bought a 2 hour ticket there would have been no problem.

She was actually ttrying to be honest about it. She could have got the 90 minute ticket, then taken it off and slapped another 90 mins down after removing the first. She was trying to show that she intended to vacate the space in under 2 hours.

When we originally filed a complaint saying that there are NO RULES on the meter saying don't display 2 tickets, they replied with an over complicated letter that really didn't explain anything properly.

If you ever wondered how Hull gets its regeneration money, now you know
  • mandyk_3
    Options
    My son receive two parking tickets for parking his car inappopriately.
    He did not move his care during the period of parking but when returning to his car he had been given 2 tickets for the one parking offence. Is this allowed?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Gerbil wrote: »
    What are the rules for dropping and picking up passengers where there are double yellows with double blips. I don't think the guide covers it?
    I guess you're allowed to. It only says about loading.
    Alternatively, under "Stopping" the guide says you are allowed to stop to pick up an obstruction from the road.
    So get your intended passenger to obstruct you in the road and you can pick them up. ;)
  • blackpatch
    Options
    Broken Single Yellow Lines/Double yellow lines

Anyone know if the above type of lines are enforceable say for example if they are (only) broken
    because of a grating on the road.

I think that single yellow lines and double yellow lines by definition have to be continious -
    unless some other restriction applies. i.e limited waiting.

In some places the single and double lines are beyond the gratings on the road and for that reason are continious. But in other places they run alongside the gratings and because of that they are broken.

Any thoughts on the legality?
  • cheapskate101
    Options
    I'd like to know exactly what is a 'bulky item' - becasue there is no exact weight requirement for loading.

I read it somewhere that a postage stamp can be deemed a loading item - as clearly you are loading this stamp onto your car.

I'm not saying that this is the law but if anyone gets caught for popping into a shop for a bag of crisps , it may be a defence to say you were loading the crisps.
  • frogfrog
    frogfrog Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 27 October 2010 at 3:11PM
    Options
    i was proud to get my daughter off this one. visiting her sister in hackney she used a paid for scratch off parking voucher. she scratched off the relavent times, dates etc but missed the am/pm section. (easily done ). she got a ticket all be it that all times were obviously am or pm because it was free for the other same time. ie they used the 12 hour clock so 11 o'lock am is paid for and 11 o'clock pm is free. luckily she arrived at 12 o'clock midday and after consulting with greenwich found out that this is 12 noon and not am or pm. got a snotty letter back from council but they had to waive the ticket. yea, i felt good!
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I'd like to know exactly what is a 'bulky item' - becasue there is no exact weight requirement for loading.

I read it somewhere that a postage stamp can be deemed a loading item - as clearly you are loading this stamp onto your car.

I'm not saying that this is the law but if anyone gets caught for popping into a shop for a bag of crisps , it may be a defence to say you were loading the crisps.

I don't think so - there would need to be a reason why the crisps/stamp could not reasonably be carried to a legal parking place.

Take a look at the article under "When can you load or unload on yellows?"
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    blackpatch wrote: »
    Broken Single Yellow Lines/Double yellow lines

Anyone know if the above type of lines are enforceable say for example if they are (only) broken
    because of a grating on the road.

I think that single yellow lines and double yellow lines by definition have to be continious -
    unless some other restriction applies. i.e limited waiting.

In some places the single and double lines are beyond the gratings on the road and for that reason are continious. But in other places they run alongside the gratings and because of that they are broken.

Any thoughts on the legality?

I'm not aware of a 'key case' published by PATAS on the topic of yellow lines, however, there is the following case which suggests that an appeal may not be successful solely by virtue of a minor omission on the part of the local authority (kerb markings in this case):

http://keycases.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/docs/3663-v-LB%20Haringey%20-%20207051967A.pdf
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    @blackpatch, if the lines are broken by a grating etc then they are still enforceable, as long as their intention is still deemed clear.

@mandyk, yes you can recieve multiple tickets, usually within seperate 24 hr periods, so in theory could be ticketed at 11:59 pm and 00:01am

@alexkerr, by not addressing your appeal point the council actually handed you a reason for the ticket to be cancelled, you should have taken that to adjudication and you would have won on that point alone.
  • wendykill
    Options
    I have a parking permit for outside my house and parking restrictions apply Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm. On friday evening I returned home and parked in the motocycle only bay as there were no other parking places. This was approx 10pm so outwith the controlled hours. On Saturday morning, again outwith the controlled hours, I awoke to find a parking ticket saying I contravened section 23 of the parking regulations. I have been unable to find the parking regulations anywhere online. I have parked in this space numberous times at the weekend before and never received a ticket as I presumed the regulations only applied at the controlled hours. I live in Glasgow. Can anyone clarify this? Do I have grounds for appeal?
    thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport