Live Q&A with Energy Saving Trust - how to save money & energy! 2pm-3pm today 25 Oct!

Options

Comments

• RachelnPaul
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, can you please just give me some idea in lay-mans-terms of how many solar pv panels would be needed to generate 13amps @ 230 volts of power, just so I could try and work it out in my own mind what I’m talking about.

Cheers
  • Mixed Spice - the Feed In Tariff was launched earlier this year in April, full details of the scheme can be found on our website, along with information and guidance for 'free PV' or 'rent a roof' schemes.http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Sell-your-own-energy/?tc=mseqa
    Our telephone advice centres have details of scheme providers that are offering 'free PV', contact 0800 512 012
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Firefly1 wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

Is it correct that leaving the heating on lowish all the time is more efficient than switching it off when one is out? Based on this, I now have the thermostat set at 15 degrees all the time and turn it up to 16 in the morning and evening when I am about.

Thanks very much.

A common question! basically, we would suggest not having the heating on when you don't need it. So if you are out all day, switch it off, but use the timer to switch it on before you arrive back home so the home can be at a comfortable temperature when you get in.
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Draughtee
    Draughtee Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2010 at 3:09PM
    Options
    What methods can we use to insulate draughty roof spaces at first floor level.

Brick build up to 10 foot then the roof rises around first floor rooms leaving roof voids, some used as storage space, with air circulation from eaves through floor spaces/ground floor ceiling.

Glass fibre is fine for the loft area but that is only one third of the exposed living space as the walls are plaster-board-clad timber frame and.

Thanks
    D
  • Thank you for your reply, can you please just give me some idea in lay-mans-terms of how many solar pv panels would be needed to generate 13amps @ 230 volts of power, just so I could try and work it out in my own mind what I’m talking about.

Cheers

I think it will need a 3kWpeak array which is likely to cost in the region of £10-15k.
  • RachelnPaul
    Options
    Thank you for your help I'm on the case!

Cheers
  • Green_Prune
    Options
    MSE_Alana wrote: »
    If you've ever wanted to know how much you could save by insulating your home, wondered how you can tell if an appliance is energy efficient or not - or been keen to know more about how you can get paid for generating your own energy, then now's your chance!

Today is the start of Energy Saving Week, which is run (unsurprisingly!) by the Energy Saving Trust and they've provided us with an expert who'll be able answer all your questions on how to save or generate energy at home.

The main Q&A session will run from 2pm to 3pm on Monday 25. October. If you can’t log in then, then don’t worry, feel free to post a question in advance!
    how/where can I post a question, please? (rather than "reply").
  • Green_Prune
    Green_Prune Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2010 at 5:08PM
    Options
    This government initiative to encourage the use of home generated green electricity looks impressive and I'm interested, particularly as I understand we'll all be paying for it in our energy bills - could you answer a few queries please:-
    * I believe solar panels/photo voltaic roof panels are expected to last 25 years - are there more efficient technologies expected very soon leaving householders stuck with low effecient technology for 25 years?
    * estimated guide prices are expected to be £10-£12K installed: I've had only one rep quote, so far, and negotiated down from £10 to £4K, but only if I signed up immediately (which I wouldn't, as I felt pressurised after an 8 hour sales visit)! Might this imply a massive profit for manufacturing/installation companies. Are householders free to negotiate price within the scheme?
    * to counteract the accusation that panels look "unsightlly", is it correct that instead of laying panels on top of roof tiles, they may be neatly fitted, flush to the roof, within the free installation scheme?
  • This government initiative to encourage the use of home generated green electricity looks impressive and I'm interested, particularly as I understand we'll all be paying for it in our eneergy bills - could you answer a few queries please:-
    * I believe solar panels/photo voltaic roof panels are expected to last 25 years - ar there more efficient technologies expected very soon leaving householders stuck with low effecient technology for 25 years?
    * estimated guide prices are expected to be £10-£12K installed: I've had only one rep quote, so far, and negotiated down from £10 to £4K, but only if I signed up immediately (which I wouldn't, as I felt pressurised after an 8 hour sales visit)! Might this imply a massive profit for manufacturing/installation companies. Are householders free to negotiate price within the scheme?
    * to counteract the accusation that panels look "unsightlly", is it correct that instead of laying panels on top of roof tiles, they may be neatly fitted, flush to the roof, within the free installation scheme?

We'll try and come back with an answer to your question above shortly.
  • Given the level of response to this thread, we're going to keep it open for now, so if you have any other questions then feel free to post them here and we'll do our best to answer them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure