🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Live Q&A with Energy Saving Trust - how to save money & energy! 2pm-3pm today 25 Oct!

Options
If you've ever wanted to know how much you could save by insulating your home, wondered how you can tell if an appliance is energy efficient or not - or been keen to know more about how you can get paid for generating your own energy, then now's your chance!

Today is the start of Energy Saving Week, which is run (unsurprisingly!) by the Energy Saving Trust and they've provided us with an expert who'll be able answer all your questions on how to save or generate energy at home.

The main Q&A session will run from 2pm to 3pm on Monday 25. October. If you can’t log in then, then don’t worry, feel free to post a question in advance!

Comments

• suzie.saves
    Options
    I live in a shared, rented house so am interested to know what I can do as a tenant. We already have energy-saving lightbulbs, keep the inner doors shut & have a thick curtain over the front door, but we have to make do with the ancient appliances supplied by our landlord. I'm pretty sure these are all about as energy-efficient as Texas. Are there any incentives for our landlord to replace the equipment, bearing in mind that we pay the electricity bills?

Also, some of my housemates have a tendency to leave lights on, wander out of the room without switching off the TV & so forth. Have you any tips on how I can encourage them to save energy without turning into the house b*tch? (you know, the one who's always having a go at everyone else!)

Thanks! Suzie :)
    New challenge to self: cut weekly £100 grocery spend in half! :money:
  • Mcfi5dhc
    Mcfi5dhc Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    • How does the government expect to save £40Million in 2014-2015 by reducing Feed-In-Tariffs when they don't pay out a penny in them
    • Do you think it is fair that private companies (like British Gas for example) can install multiple solar installations and reap the FIT. It is clearly legal, but is it ethical? Should they not be counted as one installation?
    • Do you think this will be the greenest government ever?
    • Does the EST follow threads on MSE? And if so, would they consider posting on them officially in the future?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I'd like to see getting gas into an area more affordable.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    How much more is my house likely to be worth if I pay for solar pv to be installed?
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • shona45
    Options
    I live in Aberdeen - the granite city! Try as I might and with all the grants going to encourage people to insulate - why is there nothing available for granite buildings??
  • Hi Suzie, thanks for the first question of the session.
    There are incentives for your landlord to install energy saving measures, one is that it can improve the properties energy performance certificate rating, another is that the landlord can apply for tax breaks through making energy efficient improvements. To help you we have created some template letters that you can send to your landlord, follow this link where you'll be able to find them: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Resources/Features/Features-archive/How-to-persuade-your-landlord-to-install-energy-saving-measures-in-your-home/?tc=mseqa

You could try getting an energy meter with a display panel that shows how much electricity is being used and when - this may encourage them.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Mcfi5dhc
    In response to Mcfi5dhc, your questions regarding FITs are best put to Department of Energy & Climate Change, multiple installations only count when they relate to the same meter point, not company installing them.
    We are looking to contribute more to MSE forums in the future.
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RachelnPaul
    Options
    Hello

My son plays cricket for our local cricket club. A diesel generator powers the small pavilion, which must be one of the worse for pollution and running cost. I would like to encourage the club to consider other forms of powering the club. The cost of connecting up to the grid is far too great I’m told.

I would like to ask for advice on how to better this and how would one best get information about cost of installation, running and any grants that may be available for assistance.

Thank you
  • We don't have an exact figure for this, but recent research we have conducted suggests that 56% of people would be interested in buying a house already fitted with renewable energy. It could be seen as a great selling point if you can say you get free electricity and make some money from it through the FITs, but this depends if people compare running costs with purchase costs.
  • suzie.saves
    Options
    Really helpful page, thank you. Can use it as leverage to sweet-talk housemates, too!
    New challenge to self: cut weekly £100 grocery spend in half! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family