Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    budgie123
    Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!!
    • 20th Oct 10, 11:53 AM
    Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!! 20th Oct 10 at 11:53 AM
    This morning I have had a pack of 8 Christmas cards through the post from Mouth and Foot Painting Artists. It is a group of artists who paint with their mouths or feet due to disability.

I never asked for these cards and have no idea how I got onto their mailing list. There is a letter enclosed which says you can either keep the cards or send £6.95 for them, with no obligation to pay any money.....but there is a heavy guilt element attached.

After a bit of investigation this morning I have found out that this is not a charity and it is in fact a commercial venture. This is something that is not made clear in any of the bumf they have sent through. It's one of those 'tugging the heartstrings' type of things and personally I think it is a disgusting way to conduct 'business'.

Unsolicited mail, arriving in your post, making you feel guilty that you have to pay for the cards which you never asked for in the first place.

Here's a page about them in Wikipedia, it seems there are allegations that this company which allegedly makes millions of dollars every year, is not all it is cracked up to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Mouth_and_Foot_Painting_Artists_of_ the_World

Also, if you do a quick google, you will see that many people have reported receiving these unwanted items in the post and have been fooled into assuming it is a charity and paying for them.

Beware!
Page 1
  • shammyjack
    • 20th Oct 10, 12:56 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 12:56 PM
    Both myself and my Mother get these through the post every year and I am well aware it is a scam. Can't complain at free cards though, they are excellent quality and it means I never have to buy Christmas cards.
    • zyonchaos
    • By zyonchaos 20th Oct 10, 1:30 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    zyonchaos
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:30 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:30 PM
    Both myself and my Mother get these through the post every year and I am well aware it is a scam. Can't complain at free cards though, they are excellent quality and it means I never have to buy Christmas cards.
    Originally posted by shammyjack

Cant really argue with that, keep the cards dont send them any money, what are they going to do???
    • Elsewhere
    • By Elsewhere 20th Oct 10, 1:35 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Elsewhere
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:35 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:35 PM
    My mother used to buy these cards back in the 1950's and 60's because she knew one of the handicapped artists involved. We always knew it wasn't a charity, but assumed it was a company run by the artists themselves to support themselves rather than having to rely on state benefits, and thus a worthy endeavour.

We had no idea that the artists did not receive the bulk of the money - maybe this has changed since those early days? I hope that when she supported them the artists actually had a decent profite for their work.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 20th Oct 10, 2:00 PM
    • 14,890 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:00 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:00 PM
    Send them back, in an envelope with no stamp on it......
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • budgie123
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:42 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:42 PM
    Yes, I feel like doing that. It's such an intrusion and I'm just so against this type of emotional blackmail stuff. I'd imagine that more vulnerable people like pensioners, will just send off a cheque without even thinking about it. It's such a shame.

I was going to call them today and complain but I've been in a very bad mood, so I will wait till tomorrow and hopefully be a bit more reasonable :-)
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Oct 10, 6:51 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:51 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:51 PM
    I was going to call them today and complain
    Originally posted by budgie123
    I wouldn't waste your time. They've been doing this for over 50 years and it's clearly a lucrative marketing exercise, so they're hardly going to stop doing it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Oct 10, 6:53 PM
    • 27,771 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:53 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 6:53 PM
    Id either keep them or send them back with not at this address
    Je Suis Charlie
  • wighthelen
    • 27th Feb 11, 12:41 PM
    Better late.............
    • 27th Feb 11, 12:41 PM
    It's probably a bit late to reply to this but....... I have received these cards for a number of years, and assuming that they were a charity have always sent the money. But this year I had been made redundant and had no cash. I was in the process of setting up my own business and made a promise to myself that I would send £10.00 (which is what I usually send) as soon as I made my first cash. I believe in 'luck money' and it would 'bless' the business so to speak. I earned my first money yesterday (Sat 26th Feb), so this morning I set out to find this 'charity' on the internet to donate. having found their site I couldn't find the donat button, so back to google, where I found this thread. So has anyone any suggestion as to which real charity I could send my 'luck money' to?
    • TheSaint
    • By TheSaint 27th Feb 11, 2:20 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    TheSaint
    Help for Heros or the Red Cross
  • cheapscate
    British Heart Foundation
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 27th Feb 11, 4:21 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    ariba10
    Salvation Army.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 27th Feb 11, 4:53 PM
    • 7,426 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    Personally I would choose a charity that was close to my heart. If you haven't got any particular one what about medicin sans frontier?
  • artbaron
    I've got them a few times. Never felt guilty, my only regret is that I don't still receive them and have to buy my cards at Christmas. Reminds me of an organisation years ago (Readers' Digest possibly?) who sent me stuff without my asking then demanded payment. I never paid and I ignored their correspondence and when they eventually gave up I had about 12 books worth about £500 in total, for free. Still got some of them, excellent books.
  • moneysaver122121
    I've got them a few times. Never felt guilty, my only regret is that I don't still receive them and have to buy my cards at Christmas. Reminds me of an organisation years ago (Readers' Digest possibly?) who sent me stuff without my asking then demanded payment. I never paid and I ignored their correspondence and when they eventually gave up I had about 12 books worth about £500 in total, for free. Still got some of them, excellent books.
    Originally posted by artbaron
    Bwahahaha, good on you.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Salvation Army.
    Originally posted by ariba10
    Yeah so that they can pay the clothing bank bloke £10 million over 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sirmarcus
    Always wondered regs the authenticity of this so thanks for confirmng it is a scam.
  • ninaangelt
    Thanks for the information on the mouth & foot artist xmas cards, you just saved me some money
    thank you xx
    • kermitfrog
    • By kermitfrog 5th Nov 12, 12:34 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    kermitfrog
    Thanks for the information on the mouth & foot artist xmas cards, you just saved me some money...
    Originally posted by ninaangelt
    How? Won't you be buying Christmas cards this year?
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 5th Nov 12, 1:08 PM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 23,011 Thanks
    pulliptears
    How? Won't you be buying Christmas cards this year?
    Originally posted by kermitfrog
    Well, as this is a thread telling you that the mouth and foot painting artists operate as a business not a charity I would imagine that ninangelt won't be feeling guilty about not paying for the cards they have received.....
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,710Users online

Martin's Twitter