Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!!
Views: 23,432
# 1
budgie123
Old 20-10-2010, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!!

This morning I have had a pack of 8 Christmas cards through the post from Mouth and Foot Painting Artists. It is a group of artists who paint with their mouths or feet due to disability.

I never asked for these cards and have no idea how I got onto their mailing list. There is a letter enclosed which says you can either keep the cards or send 6.95 for them, with no obligation to pay any money.....but there is a heavy guilt element attached.

After a bit of investigation this morning I have found out that this is not a charity and it is in fact a commercial venture. This is something that is not made clear in any of the bumf they have sent through. It's one of those 'tugging the heartstrings' type of things and personally I think it is a disgusting way to conduct 'business'.

Unsolicited mail, arriving in your post, making you feel guilty that you have to pay for the cards which you never asked for in the first place.

Here's a page about them in Wikipedia, it seems there are allegations that this company which allegedly makes millions of dollars every year, is not all it is cracked up to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associa...s_of_the_World

Also, if you do a quick google, you will see that many people have reported receiving these unwanted items in the post and have been fooled into assuming it is a charity and paying for them.

Beware!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to budgie123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
shammyjack
Old 20-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Talking

Both myself and my Mother get these through the post every year and I am well aware it is a scam. Can't complain at free cards though, they are excellent quality and it means I never have to buy Christmas cards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
zyonchaos
Old 20-10-2010, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammyjack View Post
Both myself and my Mother get these through the post every year and I am well aware it is a scam. Can't complain at free cards though, they are excellent quality and it means I never have to buy Christmas cards.

Cant really argue with that, keep the cards dont send them any money, what are they going to do???
# 4
Elsewhere
Old 20-10-2010, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My mother used to buy these cards back in the 1950's and 60's because she knew one of the handicapped artists involved. We always knew it wasn't a charity, but assumed it was a company run by the artists themselves to support themselves rather than having to rely on state benefits, and thus a worthy endeavour.

We had no idea that the artists did not receive the bulk of the money - maybe this has changed since those early days? I hope that when she supported them the artists actually had a decent profite for their work.
# 5
maninthestreet
Old 20-10-2010, 2:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send them back, in an envelope with no stamp on it......
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
budgie123
Old 20-10-2010, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, I feel like doing that. It's such an intrusion and I'm just so against this type of emotional blackmail stuff. I'd imagine that more vulnerable people like pensioners, will just send off a cheque without even thinking about it. It's such a shame.

I was going to call them today and complain but I've been in a very bad mood, so I will wait till tomorrow and hopefully be a bit more reasonable :-)
# 7
lincroft1710
Old 20-10-2010, 6:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie123 View Post
I was going to call them today and complain
I wouldn't waste your time. They've been doing this for over 50 years and it's clearly a lucrative marketing exercise, so they're hardly going to stop doing it.
# 8
DCFC79
Old 20-10-2010, 6:53 PM

Id either keep them or send them back with not at this address
# 9
wighthelen
Old 27-02-2011, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Better late.............

It's probably a bit late to reply to this but....... I have received these cards for a number of years, and assuming that they were a charity have always sent the money. But this year I had been made redundant and had no cash. I was in the process of setting up my own business and made a promise to myself that I would send 10.00 (which is what I usually send) as soon as I made my first cash. I believe in 'luck money' and it would 'bless' the business so to speak. I earned my first money yesterday (Sat 26th Feb), so this morning I set out to find this 'charity' on the internet to donate. having found their site I couldn't find the donat button, so back to google, where I found this thread. So has anyone any suggestion as to which real charity I could send my 'luck money' to?
# 10
TheSaint
Old 27-02-2011, 2:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Help for Heros or the Red Cross
# 11
cheapscate
Old 27-02-2011, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

British Heart Foundation
# 12
ariba10
Old 27-02-2011, 4:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

Salvation Army.
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
# 13
mountainofdebt
Old 27-02-2011, 4:53 PM

Personally I would choose a charity that was close to my heart. If you haven't got any particular one what about medicin sans frontier?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mountainofdebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
artbaron
Old 27-02-2011, 6:58 PM

I've got them a few times. Never felt guilty, my only regret is that I don't still receive them and have to buy my cards at Christmas. Reminds me of an organisation years ago (Readers' Digest possibly?) who sent me stuff without my asking then demanded payment. I never paid and I ignored their correspondence and when they eventually gave up I had about 12 books worth about 500 in total, for free. Still got some of them, excellent books.
# 15
moneysaver122121
Old 27-02-2011, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbaron View Post
I've got them a few times. Never felt guilty, my only regret is that I don't still receive them and have to buy my cards at Christmas. Reminds me of an organisation years ago (Readers' Digest possibly?) who sent me stuff without my asking then demanded payment. I never paid and I ignored their correspondence and when they eventually gave up I had about 12 books worth about 500 in total, for free. Still got some of them, excellent books.
Bwahahaha, good on you.
# 16
Oopsadaisy
Old 28-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariba10 View Post
Salvation Army.
Yeah so that they can pay the clothing bank bloke 10 million over 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 17
sirmarcus
Old 12-03-2011, 8:25 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Always wondered regs the authenticity of this so thanks for confirmng it is a scam.
# 18
ninaangelt
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the information on the mouth & foot artist xmas cards, you just saved me some money
thank you xx
The Following User Says Thank You to ninaangelt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
kermitfrog
Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaangelt View Post
Thanks for the information on the mouth & foot artist xmas cards, you just saved me some money...
How? Won't you be buying Christmas cards this year?
The Following User Says Thank You to kermitfrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
pulliptears
Old 05-11-2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitfrog View Post
How? Won't you be buying Christmas cards this year?
Well, as this is a thread telling you that the mouth and foot painting artists operate as a business not a charity I would imagine that ninangelt won't be feeling guilty about not paying for the cards they have received.....
*This is my bargain you mewling quim*
The Following User Says Thank You to pulliptears For This Useful Post: Show me >>