IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking eye fine
Views: 86,302
# 1
ozzy589
Old 17-07-2010, 12:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking eye fine

My wife has recieved a parking fine from Parking Eye. It is for an overstay in an retail park on a Sunday at 1800! The paperwork does not give the full address of the retail park, and we were with friends of ours who stayed the same length of time but have not recieved fines. Does anyone think I have grounds for an appeal? I ask because we have just recieved the final notice for payment and I'm unsure what to do next.

Thanks, Ozzy
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
bargepole
Old 17-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is no fine, private parking companies can't fine anyone. All you have is an invoice for an alleged breach of a presumed contract.

There is no appeal process with PPCs, they just want your money.

Ignore all correspondence, never contact them, and don't pay them a penny. They'll give up after a few scary looking letters, and go after some other mug who falls for their scam.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 7. Lost 1 (subject to appeal). Adjourned 1.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bargepole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
taffy056
Old 17-07-2010, 7:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The so called ticket you've got is not enforceable in law, they won't take you to court, they are scammers, and they will write to you pleading for your money, then a bogus debt collecting company will contact you, and finally a bogus solicitors will write saying that they will send the boys around to collect money that they legally are not entitled too. All in all you should ignore the scammers, and tell friends and family the same, the tickets you must deal with come from a council or the police.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Sir Roger deLodger
Old 17-07-2010, 7:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Parking Eye are a joke even by PPC standards, they give up very easily.
You can see the letters you will be ignoring in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roger deLodger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Coupon-mad
Old 17-07-2010, 1:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

this is an old thread - did you not notice the date on the posts above?

Important - the advice has changed and in england/wales is no longer 'ignore'!!!!

Instead we beat these scumbags at appeal (popla etc). No-one pays but no-one ignores due to parking eye going for court now re ignorers.

Get off this ancient archive thread and get onto reading the current advice!!!!!!!!!

Please read the sticky threads, the advice at the top of this forum, one click away - see my signature for where to click!

OLD THREAD - STOP READING!!

Please wise up and click one click to page one to see CURRENT threads instead which tell you how to appeal and win.

PARKING EYE NOW SUE IGNORERS ROUTINELY, EVERY DAY, SO DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING EYE FAKE PCN IN ENGLAND/WALES.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 24-03-2014 at 1:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
NerryBerry
Old 13-05-2012, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Guys
Its my turn to be panicking (about what I was going to call a parking fine, but will after reading your posts, will refer to it as a PCN) from ParkingEye ! When it is your 'first time' it is quite scarey, especially receiving the very official looking document through the post, I did wonder how they got my address but have since learned today from reading your wealth of information, was obtained from DVLA, how dare they? Anyway, I guess I am just after some advice and reassurance for myself. I admit, I'd never heard of 'parkinggeye' and didnt see any signs re this in the service station, not that that would do me any good, or the fact I was with someone that followed me in, they didnt get 'eye'd'. Can someone just tell ME to not panick and to ignore the letters, I'm dreading receiving the following 4 or so, and think, knowing my luck, will be the one that DOES end up with CCJ's, bailiffs and bieng made an example of, sorry if I sound a little wet around the ears! Thanks for reading even though you have heard it all before :-)

Last edited by NerryBerry; 13-05-2012 at 6:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NerryBerry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Coupon-mad
Old 13-05-2012, 6:40 PM

Important - the advice has changed and in england/wales is no longer 'ignore'!!!!

Instead we beat these scumbags at appeal (popla etc). No-one pays but no-one ignores due to parking eye going for court now re ignorers.

Get off this ancient archive thread and get onto reading the current advice!!!!!!!!!

Please read the sticky threads, the advice at the top of this forum, one click away - see my signature for where to click!

Please wise up and click one click to page one to see CURRENT threads instead which tell you how to appeal and win.

PARKING EYE NOW SUE IGNORERS ROUTINELY, EVERY DAY, SO DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING EYE FAKE PCN IN ENGLAND/WALES.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 24-03-2014 at 1:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
NerryBerry
Old 13-05-2012, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you for your reply, have you really had lots of them and not paid? sorry just after more reassurance I guess !
# 9
give them FA
Old 13-05-2012, 7:06 PM
PPR

I have had over 80 from a good variety of these companies, I have not paid anyone a penny and nothing has ever happened except that they ALL without exception gave up and went away. That is what will happen to you too.

You will not go anywhere near a Court unless you are a fan of Wimbledon fortnight. Parking Eye tried it only the one time (they like to give the impression it's their second home- in their dreams!)- and they got stuffed so badly they have never been back since.

So just relax my friend, ignore all their bumph, and nothing will happen except that they will get tired and go away.

Do start a new thread of your own though if you want to come back and report how you are doing- please do.

Last edited by give them FA; 13-05-2012 at 7:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to give them FA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
NerryBerry
Old 13-05-2012, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

How do I start my own thread?
# 11
Coupon-mad
Old 13-05-2012, 7:12 PM

Like I said before, see my signature and just one click takes you to the current forum rather than this archived thread.

When you are there and reading the current threads you will spot a blue button top left 'new thread'.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 04-03-2014 at 1:25 PM.
# 12
lawabidingcitizen1
Old 16-05-2012, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy589 View Post
My wife has recieved a parking fine from Parking Eye. It is for an overstay in an retail park on a Sunday at 1800! The paperwork does not give the full address of the retail park, and we were with friends of ours who stayed the same length of time but have not recieved fines. Does anyone think I have grounds for an appeal? I ask because we have just recieved the final notice for payment and I'm unsure what to do next.

Thanks, Ozzy
Be careful. If they decide to pursue, then you will liable for late payment charges, baliff fees and court costs.
# 13
Trebor16
Old 16-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawabidingcitizen1 View Post
Be careful. If they decide to pursue, then you will liable for late payment charges, baliff fees and court costs.
Be careful to ignore this poster as he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trebor16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
give them FA
Old 16-05-2012, 12:12 PM
PPR

He is unable to even spell the word bailiff. Par for the course for a disinformation troll.
The Following User Says Thank You to give them FA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Stephen Leak
Old 16-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawabidingcitizen1 View Post
Post reported.

Now, the real legal situation.

Any warning signs are usually so badly positioned and worded, that they won’t have created a fair and legally binding deemed contract between the car park owner and the driver in the first place. (The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1997.)

Even if there is a contract, all the car park owner can claim from the driver in damages for any breach of contract is what they’ve lost as a result. If this is a free car park or they paid, this is £0.00. By asking you for more, which is unreasonable, it’s become an unfair contract penalty, which is not legally enforceable. (Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd. vs. New Garage & Motor Co. Ltd., House of Lords, 1914.)

Under various legislation, only councils, the police, train operators and Transport for London can impose legally enforceable fines or penalties. Private parking companies can't.

Despite all of this, private parking companies believe that their signs create a fair and legally binding deemed contract between the car park owner and the driver, that their demands are their losses and not fines or penalties, that these are reasonable, and that they are legally enforceable.

For reasons best known to themselves, PPCs have rarely taken people to court. Here are the latest ones I know of ...

UK Combined Parking Solutions vs. Murphy, Burnley, 2012, 1QZ30035. The judge told the PPC that their demands were unreasonable, were therefore an unlawful contractual penalty and found in favour of the driver.

Parking Eye vs. Smith, Manchester, 2011, 1XJ81016. The judge told the PPC that their demands were unreasonable, were therefore an unlawful contractual penalty and found in favour of the driver. As they were unpaid, he awarded the PPC the parking charges of £15.00, not the £260.00 penalty. He also awarded them costs of just £95.00, not their claimed £4,457.20.

Please note the mention of bailiffs. For things to actually get to this stage, the PPC would have to take you to court, win the case and then you’d have to refuse to pay. After 28 days a CCJ would be issued and the bailiffs would be appointed, both by the court.

There is, of course, one fatal flaw in this plan. A blackmailer couldn't sue their victim if they didn’t pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
jb1001
Old 02-08-2012, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking eye

Hi, I wondered if anyone had any advice for me...

I received a parking fine from parking eye for staying in a service station for more than two hours. As I was genuinely ill I appealed against this, however from reading others advice I arealise I may have been better to just ignore.

By appealing I have, in a sense, admitted that it was me driving the car.

I will be away during the qualifying period and they have not replied to my appeal. What should I do? Thanks in advance
# 17
BASFORDLAD
Old 02-08-2012, 9:47 PM

Nothing!, ignore from now on
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
# 18
bondy lad
Old 02-08-2012, 9:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

heres what to, listen carefully,,IGNORE,,,there you go, jobs a good innit,nothing will/can happen to you as a result of your FAKE ticket/invoice.parking spy are well known on here.ignore everything on or on behalf of them you recieve, as they are all part of the SCAM.
# 19
Half_way
Old 02-08-2012, 9:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Welcome to MSE
It may help to start a new thread for each case

It makes absolutly no difference who was driving the car, and in my opinion the "I wont tell them who was driving" is a poor excuse, unless you genuinly were not the driver, lying gets you no where.

more importantly as said above it makes absolutly no difference who was driving, why? because the whole thing is un enforcable, and they have absolutly no grounds to go after you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Half_way For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
jb1001
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks guys, so by responding I haven't affected the situation? I wondered if that would make a difference?

NOt looking forward to the scary letters even if they are fake...!