Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Kia 7 year warranty (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Kia 7 year warranty
Closed Thread
Views: 7,468
# 1
Person_one
Old 16-07-2010, 2:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Kia 7 year warranty

I've never posted on this board before, please be gentle I know very little about cars!

I'm contemplating going against all my instincts and buying a new car rather than used. I know its not MSE but I'm about to start a new job with a 25 mile commute working shifts over 24 hours so I need more reliability than I've had in my previous <500 cars!

What do people think of the 7 year Kia warranty? A picanto is just over 7k so essentially I suppose its a grand a year for a bit of security and peace of mind. The Kia website is very flash with not so much info though so I'm not sure what's in the small print.

Anyone have any advice or experience to share that might help a new car novice who's only ever owned rusty old bangers and is a bit terrified!
# 2
Hintza
Old 16-07-2010, 3:10 PM

If you can find a pre-reg one that might be a slightly more cost effective option.

Personally I think the 7 year warranty is great but just read it through and check what is not covered so you have no surprises.

The only draw back would be if you wanted to trade the car in, residuals are still poor(ish) so if you plan on keeping it for a number of years then why not.
It's only terrorism if they do it to us. When we do much worse to them, it's not terrorism.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Nilrem
Old 16-07-2010, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

IIRC Kia currently "reset" the warranty on pre-owned cars (or preregistered ones) under a set age which is handy (I got an offer leaflet to that effect a few months back).

As for the warranty, from memory when I was last talking to the guy at my local dealership (we've had a Rio for nearly 7 years), their warranty is "bumper to bumper", the only things that aren't covered are normal service items (air filters and the like) and things like tyres/wipers, pretty much everything else is covered I believe, but again talk to the dealer.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate about getting another kia, the only problem we've had in the past 7 years that hasn't definitely been down to user error*, is the driver side door seal has gone a little funny/broken slightly at one end (the design of the Rio means that the last 2 inches of the seal on the drivers door opening tends to get knocked as you get in/out).

As Hintza says it's not going to be great for resale if you only plan on keeping it for a couple of years, but with the warranty it's the sort of car you could potentially buy and keep running fairly cheaply (the Rio works out at about 250 a year servicing) with little/no worries for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nilrem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Person_one
Old 16-07-2010, 3:32 PM

I would hope to keep it for the full 7 years, I'm not a car enthusiast, so I won't be chomping at the bit for a prettier one as long as it still gets me to work and back!

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!
# 5
Hintza
Old 16-07-2010, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!
Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.
It's only terrorism if they do it to us. When we do much worse to them, it's not terrorism.
# 6
jamesbrownontheroad
Old 16-07-2010, 4:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with all of the above; the seven year warranty is a watertight offer, and compared to ten years ago, Kia are building excellent cars. However the Picanto is easily the least-excellent of them all. If you could somehow raise your budget into the next model range, the C'eed (aka the new Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear) you'll get a much much better vehicle, certainly for commuting.
# 7
MarieMc
Old 16-07-2010, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

+1 for the C'eed, 7yr Warranty sounds great.
The flip side of sanity is the game.
# 8
sw67
Old 16-07-2010, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My wife has the Venga - nice drive and i have not seen another one. Its like a small people carrier
# 9
Nilrem
Old 16-07-2010, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintza View Post
Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.
IIRC on most of their cars up until about 6-12 months ago it was just 3 years.

I think the warranty reset only counts for cars bought from the dealer that were sold with the 7 year warranty to begin with and only if the car is under something like 6-12 months old.
# 10
Banner Stands
Old 16-07-2010, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under 7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
# 11
cyclonebri1
Old 16-07-2010, 9:05 PM

Can someone just confirm if the 7 year waranty does cover any No of owners during those 7 years, service and mileage accepted of course?
broken hand, so even worse typing than usual. Now better, still can't play piano tho'

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
# 12
cyclonebri1
Old 16-07-2010, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Stands View Post

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under 7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
Slave labour?
broken hand, so even worse typing than usual. Now better, still can't play piano tho'

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
# 13
flyingscotno1
Old 16-07-2010, 9:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Stands View Post

Well... I wonder the value in a 7 year warranty, or whether it is a clever bit of marketing, like Toyota are doing at the moment.

I've read (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...g-airbags.html) that to get full 7 years it has to be 'main dealer' serviced from start which of course adds to costs. Coupled with that cynical me says that gets you back in to look at their nice new range...

We have 2 9 year old cars in the household. I struggle to think of anything that would have been warranty covered beyond 3, perhaps 5 years. I don't know how strict Kia apply it, but I guess much of it could be put to wear and tear related and wouldn't be covered? The faults I got out of warranty were wheel bearings and a ABS sensor going on the blink both wear related...
# 14
gilbert and sullivan
Old 16-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Agree with poster's above, up your budget a little and snap up a used Ceed, with the balance of it's 7 year warranty.

Don't pay too much attention to the badge snobs.
# 15
Inactive
Old 17-07-2010, 9:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The Kia 7 year warranty applies to all cars registered since 1 January 2010 and is transferable to subsequent owners.

Prior to this it only applied to C'eed models ( and one other model, I cannot recall which one ).
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Person_one
Old 17-07-2010, 10:25 AM

The C'eed looks nice, but I really need something with very low running costs. My new job is not well paid at all and while I have the savings to buy the car in the first place, I don't want to keep eating into them because of petrol costs! I'm also trying to be a bit greener so I don't want to get a bigger car than I need. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Think I'm going to give my Kia garage a ring and ask if they've got any nearly new (since Jan 1st) cars in stock, then ask to see the small print on that warranty!

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!
# 17
Inactive
Old 17-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!
As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.
# 18
Hintza
Old 17-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Although I think Kia are fairly tight on prices it will pay to check around other dealers and online so you have an understanding of prices and any deals available (eg 0% finance etc).

As part of the deal you might want to arrange a 3 year service package (if available), but do your sums..

So my advice is research, research and more research.
# 19
Person_one
Old 17-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.
See I told you I was clueless

I thought warranties had the services included in them as free. My ex never paid for his services on his 3 year warranty (I just asked!) but maybe that varies from deal to deal.
# 20
sillygoose
Old 17-07-2010, 1:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Kia servicing is cheap priced compared to many brands but the service we get is just the same. As to warranty, we are on our second Kia. The 1st one from new was faultless, we even took an option to extend after 3yrs up until 5 years and still never needed to claim. Our current Kia (bought 'new' as a preregistered model) had a minor thing we hadn't really even noticed (suspension bush), it was shown to us and warranty fixed for free without quibble by the dealer in a follow up visit after a service.

A Ceed is of course much better, but for a simple commute trundle each day a Picanto is perfectly adequate and one of the very few cars in this size with 5 doors.

Finally don't take any notice of any people scoffing about Korean cars, the latest engines in Kia's are more advanced and capable than in many mainstream brands such as VW or Ford, some people refuse to accept this but thats their problem. I can't remember ever buying a car without haggling between 10 to 30% off and Kia were no different. (15% on new, 10% at least on used)
Closed Thread