Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 16th Jul 10, 2:51 PM
    • 26,044Posts
    • 89,394Thanks
    Person_one
    Kia 7 year warranty
    • 16th Jul 10, 2:51 PM
    Kia 7 year warranty 16th Jul 10 at 2:51 PM
    I've never posted on this board before, please be gentle I know very little about cars!

I'm contemplating going against all my instincts and buying a new car rather than used. I know its not MSE but I'm about to start a new job with a 25 mile commute working shifts over 24 hours so I need more reliability than I've had in my previous <£500 cars!

What do people think of the 7 year Kia warranty? A picanto is just over £7k so essentially I suppose its a grand a year for a bit of security and peace of mind. The Kia website is very flash with not so much info though so I'm not sure what's in the small print.

Anyone have any advice or experience to share that might help a new car novice who's only ever owned rusty old bangers and is a bit terrified!
Page 1
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 16th Jul 10, 3:10 PM
    • 18,869 Posts
    • 13,602 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:10 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:10 PM
    If you can find a pre-reg one that might be a slightly more cost effective option.

Personally I think the 7 year warranty is great but just read it through and check what is not covered so you have no surprises.

The only draw back would be if you wanted to trade the car in, residuals are still poor(ish) so if you plan on keeping it for a number of years then why not.
    Dis tyd om op te staan!
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 16th Jul 10, 3:27 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:27 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:27 PM
    IIRC Kia currently "reset" the warranty on pre-owned cars (or preregistered ones) under a set age which is handy (I got an offer leaflet to that effect a few months back).

As for the warranty, from memory when I was last talking to the guy at my local dealership (we've had a Rio for nearly 7 years), their warranty is "bumper to bumper", the only things that aren't covered are normal service items (air filters and the like) and things like tyres/wipers, pretty much everything else is covered I believe, but again talk to the dealer.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate about getting another kia, the only problem we've had in the past 7 years that hasn't definitely been down to user error*, is the driver side door seal has gone a little funny/broken slightly at one end (the design of the Rio means that the last 2 inches of the seal on the drivers door opening tends to get knocked as you get in/out).

As Hintza says it's not going to be great for resale if you only plan on keeping it for a couple of years, but with the warranty it's the sort of car you could potentially buy and keep running fairly cheaply (the Rio works out at about £250 a year servicing) with little/no worries for years.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 16th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    • 26,044 Posts
    • 89,394 Thanks
    Person_one
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    I would hope to keep it for the full 7 years, I'm not a car enthusiast, so I won't be chomping at the bit for a prettier one as long as it still gets me to work and back!

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 16th Jul 10, 4:03 PM
    • 18,869 Posts
    • 13,602 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 16th Jul 10, 4:03 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 4:03 PM

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!
    Originally posted by Person_one
    Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.
    Dis tyd om op te staan!
    • jamesbrownontheroad
    • By jamesbrownontheroad 16th Jul 10, 4:56 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    jamesbrownontheroad
    • 16th Jul 10, 4:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 4:56 PM
    I agree with all of the above; the seven year warranty is a watertight offer, and compared to ten years ago, Kia are building excellent cars. However the Picanto is easily the least-excellent of them all. If you could somehow raise your budget into the next model range, the C'eed (aka the new Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear) you'll get a much much better vehicle, certainly for commuting.
    • MarieMc
    • By MarieMc 16th Jul 10, 5:06 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    MarieMc
    • 16th Jul 10, 5:06 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 5:06 PM
    +1 for the C'eed, 7yr Warranty sounds great.
    The flip side of sanity is the game.
    • sw67
    • By sw67 16th Jul 10, 5:35 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    sw67
    • 16th Jul 10, 5:35 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 5:35 PM
    My wife has the Venga - nice drive and i have not seen another one. Its like a small people carrier
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 16th Jul 10, 6:50 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 16th Jul 10, 6:50 PM
    • 16th Jul 10, 6:50 PM
    Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.
    Originally posted by Hintza
    IIRC on most of their cars up until about 6-12 months ago it was just 3 years.

I think the warranty reset only counts for cars bought from the dealer that were sold with the 7 year warranty to begin with and only if the car is under something like 6-12 months old.
    • Banner Stands
    • By Banner Stands 16th Jul 10, 7:34 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Banner Stands
    A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 16th Jul 10, 9:05 PM
    • 12,479 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Can someone just confirm if the 7 year waranty does cover any No of owners during those 7 years, service and mileage accepted of course?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 16th Jul 10, 9:06 PM
    • 12,479 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    cyclonebri1

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
    Originally posted by Banner Stands
    Slave labour?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
  • flyingscotno1

Originally posted by Banner Stands
    Well... I wonder the value in a 7 year warranty, or whether it is a clever bit of marketing, like Toyota are doing at the moment.

I've read (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/5286200/Honest-John-how-servicing-can-affect-a-warranty-and-misfiring-airbags.html) that to get full 7 years it has to be 'main dealer' serviced from start which of course adds to costs. Coupled with that cynical me says that gets you back in to look at their nice new range...

We have 2 9 year old cars in the household. I struggle to think of anything that would have been warranty covered beyond 3, perhaps 5 years. I don't know how strict Kia apply it, but I guess much of it could be put to wear and tear related and wouldn't be covered? The faults I got out of warranty were wheel bearings and a ABS sensor going on the blink both wear related...
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 16th Jul 10, 10:40 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    Agree with poster's above, up your budget a little and snap up a used Ceed, with the balance of it's 7 year warranty.

Don't pay too much attention to the badge snobs.
  • Inactive
    The Kia 7 year warranty applies to all cars registered since 1 January 2010 and is transferable to subsequent owners.

Prior to this it only applied to C'eed models ( and one other model, I cannot recall which one ).
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 17th Jul 10, 10:25 AM
    • 26,044 Posts
    • 89,394 Thanks
    Person_one
    The C'eed looks nice, but I really need something with very low running costs. My new job is not well paid at all and while I have the savings to buy the car in the first place, I don't want to keep eating into them because of petrol costs! I'm also trying to be a bit greener so I don't want to get a bigger car than I need. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Think I'm going to give my Kia garage a ring and ask if they've got any nearly new (since Jan 1st) cars in stock, then ask to see the small print on that warranty!

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!
  • Inactive

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!
    Originally posted by Person_one
    As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 17th Jul 10, 10:39 AM
    • 18,869 Posts
    • 13,602 Thanks
    Hintza
    Although I think Kia are fairly tight on prices it will pay to check around other dealers and online so you have an understanding of prices and any deals available (eg 0% finance etc).

As part of the deal you might want to arrange a 3 year service package (if available), but do your sums..

So my advice is research, research and more research.
    Dis tyd om op te staan!
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 17th Jul 10, 10:56 AM
    • 26,044 Posts
    • 89,394 Thanks
    Person_one
    As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.
    Originally posted by Inactive
    See I told you I was clueless

I thought warranties had the services included in them as free. My ex never paid for his services on his 3 year warranty (I just asked!) but maybe that varies from deal to deal.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 17th Jul 10, 1:07 PM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Kia servicing is cheap priced compared to many brands but the service we get is just the same. As to warranty, we are on our second Kia. The 1st one from new was faultless, we even took an option to extend after 3yrs up until 5 years and still never needed to claim. Our current Kia (bought 'new' as a preregistered model) had a minor thing we hadn't really even noticed (suspension bush), it was shown to us and warranty fixed for free without quibble by the dealer in a follow up visit after a service.

A Ceed is of course much better, but for a simple commute trundle each day a Picanto is perfectly adequate and one of the very few cars in this size with 5 doors.

Finally don't take any notice of any people scoffing about Korean cars, the latest engines in Kia's are more advanced and capable than in many mainstream brands such as VW or Ford, some people refuse to accept this but thats their problem. I can't remember ever buying a car without haggling between 10 to 30% off and Kia were no different. (15% on new, 10% at least on used)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter