IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Spare car keys
Closed Thread
Views: 46,508
# 1
paulboy83
Old 01-09-2006, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Spare car keys

I Just bought a Fiat Punto, and It only came with one Key, I'd like to have a second in case of any little key related mishaps but on trying to get one cut at the local key cutting place they told me that I had to go to the main dealer who are the only ones who can do it. On speaking to the dealer they have told me its going to cos me about 110/115 to get a new key sorted.

Does this sound right? As to me it sounds like a stupid amount to pay to get a key cut, are there any ways of getting a key cut cheaper?

Help!!
# 2
espresso
Old 01-09-2006, 3:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You shouldn't really have bought a car with only one key! It's not just the fact of getting it cut, it will probably have to be programed to match the car. If you bought from a dealer, go back to them.
# 3
highguyuk
Old 01-09-2006, 3:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to highguyuk Send a message via MSN to highguyuk

Go to Timpsons. I would think they could help.

They will cut a basic key for you. It won't have remote locking on etc for you, but it should open the doors and start it ...

Mind you, depends on the model of the Punto...
-highguyuk-

# 4
espresso
Old 01-09-2006, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguyuk

They will cut a basic key for you. It won't have remote locking on etc for you, but it should open the doors and start it ...

Not if it has an immobiliser/transponder in the key!

:rolleyes:
# 5
joseph21
Old 01-09-2006, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Keys for car

I had this with an old car. my replacement cost was going to be only 60.00.

I found the the low cost was to replace with an new lock and keys. this cost only 8.00
# 6
cannyscot
Old 01-09-2006, 3:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

How old is your punto? We have one that is a T which is central locking by the driver door and there is an immobiliser in the key -the fiat red key scheme--you can now get places which have kind of computer chipped reader things that read your key and programme it -I did this and it cost £25. It was a shoe repair place that had recently bought the latest key technology stuff so they might have the same at Timpsons.

I once had a very distressing time having broken a key in the door with the fiat dealer trying to hold me to ransom -my dad got his local garage to sort it for £100 with two new keys! I would never trust anything the Fiat garage said now or for that matter probably any main dealer without a second opinion.

Last edited by cannyscot; 01-09-2006 at 4:05 PM.
# 7
cannyscot
Old 01-09-2006, 3:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso
You shouldn't really have bought a car with only one key! It's not just the fact of getting it cut, it will probably have to be programed to match the car. If you bought from a dealer, go back to them.

I don't think that is very helpful!-nor the next reply

Do you work for a Fiat dealer?
# 8
espresso
Old 01-09-2006, 4:00 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyscot
I don't think that is very helpful!
Maybe not but it is a fact.

:rolleyes:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to espresso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Crabman
Old 01-09-2006, 4:02 PM

I had to get a new key made for our car but Timpson did that and they took care of the immobiliser chip as well :confused: There's a red chip in it so I guess they programmed it or something??

Also you want to check out where the missing key is don't want some previous owner turning up thinking oh look, I'll have me a ride in my old car
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
espresso
Old 01-09-2006, 4:05 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on passing your advanced test Crabman.

The Following User Says Thank You to espresso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Crabman
Old 01-09-2006, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso
Congrats on passing your advanced test Crabman.

Cheers espresso
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 12
highguyuk
Old 01-09-2006, 4:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to highguyuk Send a message via MSN to highguyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguyuk

An Ex-Timpsons employee, I am aware of the services they offer ...
-highguyuk-

# 13
paulboy83
Old 01-09-2006, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'll head out tommorow and see if timpsons and every other key cutters in my local town can help, I'll also swing by the garage I bought it from to check up on the whereabouts of the 2nd key..... Its a 4 year old punto, it doesnt have central locking if that makes any difference to anyone helping me? Thanks for all the advice so far
# 14
espresso
Old 01-09-2006, 6:33 PM

You may get some more info on this Fiat forum.
# 15
the devil made me do it
Old 02-09-2006, 12:29 PM

I have a ford puma. When I bought the car, it came with one key. I ended up buying two more from ebay, and taking them all to my local locksmith, where he programmed them and cut two keys for the two new fobs.

All in all I saved about 200 (maybe more) than if I'd went to the dealership.

So, it really depends on what model of car you have and if has programmable fobs.

Try this link

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...eed+3+car+keys

it really covers this topic of car keys. maybe you will pick something up from reading the posts.

Last edited by the devil made me do it; 02-09-2006 at 12:32 PM.
# 16
scrimpandsave
Old 17-09-2008, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Arrow punto keys...

That's awful you only got one! Didn't think they were allowed to do that
I had two but have just had one leave me for the dark depths of the river I was feeding ducks on, along with my house keys, shallow pocket. Apparently an 150 lesson I have to learn. There seems to be no answer that is water tight that doesn't involve the dealership unfortunately. If only we had a friend who worked there eh
# 17
forgotmyname
Old 23-07-2010, 3:20 PM

When buying a car join the clubs forums on the net, They will all tell you horror stories & tales of woe about losing keys.

MK3 mondeos need 2 keys to program new ones into the system and old ones out 160 approx from a dealer for a new one.

Have 2 working keys you can buy a spare off ebay for under 10 and do it yourself.

I have 4 keys now, Covers every eventuality, I hope.

acetracker and your nothing to do with that company eh? Just thought you would reply to a post thats 2 years old?

Last edited by forgotmyname; 23-07-2010 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Just spotted post was from MR SPAMMER
# 18
LeeUK
Old 23-07-2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetracker View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just had this experience. I have a Punto 54 plate. I unfortunately lost my key. Called Fiat who said I had to buy a minimum of 2 keys and by the time I could take my car there (towed) and by the time they order the keys, program it etc. they were talking about 400. HEHE !! That was laughable because I reckon that is more than what my car is worth.

Anyway I searched around and found **SPAM**.biz . Steve came over and did all the work on the car and I now have 2 working keys that have been programmed. It was all considerably cheaper than Fiat.

Hope it helps you all.
Chopped pork and ham?
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 19
cyclonebri1
Old 23-07-2010, 3:50 PM

All good locksmiths can provide a copy key with the chip needed to run the car. The issue seems to be that the manufacters make the original unreprogramable for security reasons , but every few years this gets overcome by whoever, and copies are available via the net.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclonebri1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
JR_x
Old 14-12-2010, 11:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My main car key (central locking) does not work.Central locking has broken on the key.Can I get a new one from timpsons or is it the car dealership i must contact?
Cheers
Closed Thread