Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Lidl Bifinett breadmaker - any recipes that work? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Lidl Bifinett breadmaker - any recipes that work?
Views: 62,503
# 1
greentomato
Old 05-08-2006, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Lidl Bifinett breadmaker - any recipes that work?

Hello everyone,

Please could you help me with my new breadmaker? I've bought the 20 Bifinett breadmaker from Lidl and am now wondering if it was a waste of money !! Does anyone else have this machine? Have you found a recipe that works? I've made 3 loaves so far and all have turned out awful. For the first two I followed the recipes in the leaflet that came with the machine, for the third I followed a recipe off this thread. I've done one white loaf and two brown. The yeast is quite new. The bread either doesn't rise or comes out too spongy. I'm so disappointed!

The recipes that are in the machine leaflet all seem to involve eggs, or complicated ingredients like Rye flour or groats! I just want a simple loaf!
It also gives confusing instructions, for example there is a french bread programme and the recipes for it all ask for butter, but later in the booklet it says that the French programme is not suitable for recipes requiring butter. I am wondering if the booklet has been badly translated or something. Also, the recipes in the book are all in metric but the sizes of loaves you can do are 1.5, 2, or 2.5lb. So its quite hard for me to work out which size loaf I am making!! :confused:

I've been reading through all the breakmaker threads and there is lots of useful info, so thanks for that, but I still can't make a good loaf!

Have I bought a dud??? I'm going to have one more go this weekend I think.
Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greentomato For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Pink.
Old 05-08-2006, 4:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi greentomato,

There are a couple of recipes for the Lidl Bifinett breadmaker on this thread:

Breadmaker 19.99, does anyone have one?

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
wizzkid
Old 05-08-2006, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I can't comment on the Biffinet, but my loaf through trial and error in a 25 ASDA BM goes like this.

1 1/2 cups water
splash oil
1 tsp salt
dessert spoon honey
4 cups flour, white or a mix of whole wheat and white.
1 tsp yeast

I plonk all that in and mix it up, then I stop the machine and put it onto the sandwich setting and set the timer so it finishes when we get up. Seems to help doing that first mix as
a, you can see if you need more water or more flour
b, it gives it an initial rise before it all gets going again, definatel seems to help when you use the whole wheat flour.

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to wizzkid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
greentomato
Old 05-08-2006, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you, I hadn't spotted that recipe, there are so many breadmaker threads to look through! (I'd forgotten I'd posted on that thread before...)

I'll try these out and see how we go. Don't want to think I've wasted my money!
# 5
Jake'sGran
Old 05-08-2006, 5:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Question

It really is so easy to make bread. I am always surprised that people buy breadmakers. Its just not necessary to use a machine. My daughter bought one even though her children and I had great fun when they were small when I was making bread and gave them a piece of dough to play around with. Anyway, she doesn't use it anymore and is now buying packets of bread mix!
All you need is strong flour, salt, tepid water and oil or butter and you can add whatever you like. Maybe a bit slower than a bread machine but never fails and you can leave it until the next day if you are short of time.
# 6
Bossyboots
Old 05-08-2006, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake'sGran
It really is so easy to make bread. I am always surprised that people buy breadmakers. Its just not necessary to use a machine. My daughter bought one even though her children and I had great fun when they were small when I was making bread and gave them a piece of dough to play around with. Anyway, she doesn't use it anymore and is now buying packets of bread mix!
All you need is strong flour, salt, tepid water and oil or butter and you can add whatever you like. Maybe a bit slower than a bread machine but never fails and you can leave it until the next day if you are short of time.
You are right it is simple to make bread - if you have the time.

Before I went back to work full time I made all my bread by hand. Now if I want freshly made bread when I get home or warm bread for breakfast, my only choice is to use a breadmaker. I don't consider making the dough one day and cooking it the next to be a freshly made loaf and on the one occasion I did that some time ago the results were not as good as they should have been.
# 7
zombiecazz
Old 05-08-2006, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to zombiecazz Send a message via Yahoo to zombiecazz

I have one of the Lidl's BM. I make the Express white loaf loads. I've never had a problem with it. Only thing I would say is this recipe says something like 4tsp salt - I only use 2 tsp. I've adapted this recipe loads by swapping some of the plain flour for rye or wholemeal flour, adding sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, throwing in some chopped olives and cheese, using honey instead of sugar. I use fast action yeast from Tesco - the one in the little sachets.

hope this helps.

Z
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to zombiecazz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
greentomato
Old 08-08-2006, 1:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Latest Bifinett loaf results ...

Hello, I'm back again with my Bifinett bread problems!

This morning I made the White Express Loaf, with my fingers crossed. Its OK, the best so far, but its still a bit soggy in the middle, and tastes quite sweet and doughy. Also its gone quite brown on the sides and is still white on top. Is this normal?

Do you remove the paddles before baking it? I left them in but it seemed to leave quite big holes in the middle after I took them out.

I've been using Allinson yeast but I think I might buy a different brand.

Thank you for all your help!!
# 9
zombiecazz
Old 08-08-2006, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to zombiecazz Send a message via Yahoo to zombiecazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentomato

This morning I made the White Express Loaf, with my fingers crossed. Its OK, the best so far, but its still a bit soggy in the middle, and tastes quite sweet and doughy. Also its gone quite brown on the sides and is still white on top. Is this normal?

Do you remove the paddles before baking it? I left them in but it seemed to leave quite big holes in the middle after I took them out.

I use one whole sachet of dried fast action yeast

Yes mine tends to be darker on the sides than on the top.

I take the paddles out. If I remember rightly the express mix kneads for 20 minutes and then bakes for 1 hour. So take the paddles out at the end of the 20 minutes Knead. Gives details of timing in the back of the instruction booklet

If it's too sweet add less sugar.

If it's a bit soggy add a little less water. I tend to use half water half milk.

Check your dough after 10 minutes. Your dough should be elastic (forms a soft tacky ball), not wet (doesn't really form a ball while kneading) and not dry (forms a solid ball while kneading).
Too dry add a liitle more water or milk.
Too wet add a little more flour

Good luck. Once you get the basics right you can start to experiment.

Z
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain

Last edited by zombiecazz; 08-08-2006 at 1:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiecazz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mirakl
Old 08-08-2006, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to mirakl Send a message via Yahoo to mirakl

Quote:

I had this breadmaker and I loved it. It's worn out now

The express bread is a failure though, it's far too sweet because it needs more sugar to get the yeast active quickly. Try the dough setting and make rolls which you finish in the oven. I always thought that had the best result.
The Following User Says Thank You to mirakl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
greentomato
Old 09-08-2006, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for this. DH tried the bread last night and agreed that it was too sweet. I did think it seemed like a lot of sugar but thought I ought to follow the recipe! It makes sense that the express recipe would need extra sugar to rise.

I think I'll try the same recipe but with less sugar on one of the normal programmes.

I don't really want to bake in the oven, the reason I got the breadmaker is because I want to be able to bake bread without having to keep an eye on it. I have a baby who is just starting to crawl around the house and wreak havoc, and there have been a few occasions recently when I have burnt food because I've been distracted by rescuing DD from pulling the house down! Remembering to take bread out of the oven would be one task too many for my poor brain at the moment!!!

Here goes, 5th time lucky I hope..... otherwise you might find a breadmaker in my wheelie bin....
# 12
greentomato
Old 17-08-2006, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello again everyone

I'm sorry to report that despite all your help, yet another failure on the breadmaking. The fifth loaf in the bin. I'm really unhappy about it as I keep reading about all the lovely bread you lot make, and I can even make a simple white loaf!! Maybe I just can't make bread!

I tried the recipe that mad-cash-cow posted on another thread, and although the texture was much better, the bread had a weird unpleasant taste and was inedible.

I'm really not impressed with this Bifinett breadmaker and wish that I'd saved up and bought the Panasonic one that you all rave about! I've been talking for ages about getting this breadmaker now that I'm a SAHM, and its quite a disappointment.
The worse thing was that we had friends to stay at the weekend, (the breadmaker was sitting on the side in the kitchen), we had sandwiches with some Tescos bread and they said 'oh this bread you've made is delicious' and I had to admit that it wasn't my bread at all....

from a breadless greentomato

Last edited by greentomato; 25-08-2006 at 10:56 AM.
# 13
oldandhappy
Old 25-08-2006, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Lidl breadmaker that I saw when choosing was a two small loaves type...is yours? I chose the Aldi Delta make because it was just the one bread container inside also purchased a breadmaking book that has been a godsend...although I tend to use only a few of the receipes...Only had one rough loaf in two years...the first attempt...Will add more info when I find out your type of breadmaker...I know the instructions with these german ones can be confusing
The Following User Says Thank You to oldandhappy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
greentomato
Old 25-08-2006, 10:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you. My breakmaker has just one large tin, which makes a 2.5lb loaf I think. They didn't have any with smaller tins. I doesn't say Delta on it anywhere, but its the KH2232.

I've also been recommended to try Lidl's breadmix, so will pick some of that up next time I am in there.
# 15
Thistle-down
Old 25-08-2006, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I'm really not impressed with this Bifinett breadmaker and wish that I'd saved up and bought the Panasonic one that you all rave about! I've been talking for ages about getting this breadmaker now that I'm a SAHM, and its quite a disappointment.
I know just how you feel greentomato - I had similar results with a Morphy Richards BM. (not the fastbake) I tried everything - more yeast, less yeast, brand new yeast, different types of yeast, more water, less water, different strong flours, extra-strong flour, etc. etc. etc. I got tired of throwing away so many expensive ingredients on inedible lumps of bread! I don't know if my machine was a dud or what but it sure didn't save me any money as I had to keep on buying store bought bread.

I ebayed my Morphy Richards and got a Panasonic. I was doubtful there would be such a difference, but every single loaf has turned out fantastic. In the latest Which? reports Panasonic is on top again, and the only one that produced bread "better than a bakery".

If I were you I'd ebay your breadmaker and save up for the Panasonic. I haven't bought bread in months now, it is so fantastic.

~Lynn
The Following User Says Thank You to Thistle-down For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ka7e
Old 25-08-2006, 12:36 PM

I've always had great results with my Morphy Richards BM, but I always cut right back on the amount of sugar and salt in the recipes. I have just bought Allinsons yeast as it works out cheaper than the Sainsbury's sachets I was using, and I really don't like the extra yeasty flavour it gives! The texture is a bit off too.
The Following User Says Thank You to ka7e For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
greentomato
Old 25-08-2006, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had been using Allinsons yeast - do you mean that you preferred the Sainsburys yeast?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has bread troubles.... its keeping me awake at night.... DH thinks I'm crazy, throwing all this bread away to save money!!!!

I'd feel a bit guilty Ebaying the dodgy Bifinett though!

Last edited by greentomato; 25-08-2006 at 2:25 PM.
# 18
ka7e
Old 25-08-2006, 4:18 PM

Yes, I definately prefer JS yeast - hasn't got the overpowering flavour I'm finding with Allinsons.
The Following User Says Thank You to ka7e For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
oldandhappy
Old 26-08-2006, 11:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would not use any breadmix....this is one recipe I use a lot...12oz water then add the (I use mainly Lidl bread flour)1lb 2oz white bread flour and in each of the four corners add 1 tablespoon of suger 1 and half tablespoons of milk powder 1 oz of butter and 1 teaspoon of salt(I use sea salt.. healthier by far)and 1 teaspoon of fast acting dried yeast in the middle(1 Use Tescos make mainly)important to keep all those in the corners away from each other and yeast in middle and then I use the white bread setting for this recipe..takes about 3 and half hours..When buzzers goes off take out of breadmakers as soon as possible...I find the make I have Aldi Delta is quite hard to get out the tin..that is the only setback with mine. Best of Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to oldandhappy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
alsmith
Old 20-03-2007, 7:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default my experiences

I'm onto my third breadmaker- I fairly recently got a Morphy Richards that has a paddle that folds down after kneading so you don't get the hole in the bread after baking. Good idea- enough for me to buy the thing. It's ok, but it's american based- 2lb loaves maximum. European go in kg's. That replaced a Morphy Richards, again 2lb. Not sure it was worth the money to upgrade just to get rid of the paddle hole- but the paddle action was getting very stiff on the old one, maybe it wouldn't have lasted too much longer. The bread is ok, but is more variable than I'd like. Every now and then it rises like a space rocket and hits/sticks to the lid, causing an undercooked section of loaf at the top- no big hole in the bottom though. I don't like the square but tall loaf approach though.
My first breadmaker was a small 1 1/2 pound machine, perfect bread, never any problems. Shame I got rid of it.
Due the occasional inconsistency and the slightly odd 2lb size of the Morphy Richards machine I'm in the lookout for a 1 or 1.25kg machine. I've constantly read that the Panasonics are good if expensive- **by the way I wonder if the person who started the thread got one I'd be interested to hear how they got on- does not posting mean they were happy and don't need to post and ask for help? Or she gave up in disgust?**. I'm not sure if I'd get a Panasonic because of the price, maybe I'll try the Bifinett that Aldi will be selling shortly. I've not seen bad things about them- not good things come to that, but people are more likely to make noises if things are poor. Anyone tried/got a Bifinett? 25 probably isn't too big a risk.