Grass Roots Financial Ltd- Message for Site team

Options
orc_2
orc_2 Posts: 563 Forumite
edited 19 March 2010 at 10:24AM in Reclaim bank & credit card charges
Cartel Client Review has closed its doors- finally.

Approx 70,000 people are affected, having lost their deposits with Cartel and the closure of CCLS.

You will be aware of the close ties between the management of Cartel/ CCLS and the "parachute" claims management company Grass Roots Financial.

To prevent more people losing their money and chasing an impossible dream of debt write off, what action can Money Saving Expert take, given the role it has adopted of a consumer champion?

At the very least, clear guidance is needed in a prominent place on this site as to the dangers people face. People who can ill afford to lose money and who's finances are already in a dificult state. Perhaps by listing the MoJ guidance recently issued on the stickies.

Can Money Saving Expert enter into discussion with the Ministry of Justice and provide all evidence held on the site? Is there an opportunity to work with others to clamp down on mismanaged claims handling firms.

Can Money Saving Expert release all suspended or closed/ withdrawn threads and make the information available to the Ministry of Justice, The Solicitors Regulation Authority and if necessary, the Police?

Please be aware of the following:

Registered premises of Grass Roots Financial Ltd

Grass Roots Financial Ltd ,
Peter House ,
Oxford St ,
Manchester ,
M1 5AN

Company Registration No: 05979001

This company first came to prominence in late January / early February 2009 .

Grass Root’s Financial Ltd is apparently currently owned by an alleged Master Agent for Cartel Client Review Ltd and allegedly trusted member of the owner of Cartel's “inner circle” .

Grass Roots share the same registered office as Cartel, the same software system as Cartel. The cases are apparently the same as Cartel. Documents available elsewhere on the web allude to the fact that preparations were being made to make staff aware of the impending handover to Grass Roots Financial Ltd.

The handover should be a relatively smooth affair as the same folk are involved and the same software, all within the very same office.

Further information is available but I do not want to publish it here in case it presents a legal issue.
Please ignore those people who post on this forum who deliberately try to misinform you. Don't be bullied by them, don't be blamed by them. You know who I mean.
You come here for advice, help and support- thats what I and like minded others will try to do.

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2010 at 6:13PM
    Options
    I have checked the OFT register for this firm and it actually had CCL in 2007Licence Details Application / Licence Details

Licence Number:0598835
    Licence Status:Current

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business NameCompany Registration Number Grass Roots (Financial) Limited5979001

Categories:

Credit brokerage Debt adjusting/counselling

Right To Canvass Off Trade Premises:Yes

Issued Date: 25-Apr-2007
    Expiry Date: 25-Apr-2012

Legal Formation:

Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)

Current Individuals that run the organisation:

NamePosition Sandra Pearl WebbOFFICER

Current Address(es):

Address TypeAddress Principal Place Of BusinessUniversal Square, Devonshire Street North, MANCHESTER, M12 6JH, United Kingdom Registered OfficePeter House, Oxford Street, MANCHESTER, M1 5AN, United Kingdom

Historic Address(es):

Address TypeAddress Principal Place Of BusinessPeter House, Oxford Street, MANCHESTER, M1 5AN, United Kingdom Principal Place Of BusinessThe Old Grain Barn, Hambridge Road, Bishops Itchington, Leamington Spa, CV47 2RZ Registered OfficeThe Old Grain Barn, Hambridge Road, Bishops Itchington, Leamington Spa, CV47 2RZ

Although only authorised by MOJ in 2009 BUT not anything in the above that this is actually to do with Cartel and gang!!! Also only registered with data protection since 2009 also.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    This will probably be deleted when MSE get the letter from Grass Roots lawyers.
  • marshallka
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    This will probably be deleted when MSE get the letter from Grass Roots lawyers.
    This is why i have posted the above. It has no "actual" link in the OFT register. I think we need to be careful here. Also how can MSE get involved in a company that has not as yet done anything. I thought (as people had said) this was another cartel company BUT I don't see any link as yet???
  • VIGILANT22
    VIGILANT22 Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Options
    Quote: Can Money Saving Expert enter into discussion with the Ministry of Justice

For what... for god sake!....We are not in a nanny state, people need to take some responsibilty....So many who have lost money have just been plain greedy and thot they'd get out of paying....Why are so people so gullible...why should they have debts written off that they have incurred...madness!!

How many have gone out and max'd cards after some Cartel type agent told them if they did this they would be recompensed. We are fortunate in this country the majority of people receive a reasonable standard of education, however when it comes to matters like this...any intelligence goes out of the window and it is £ signs they see....

Quote: At the very least, clear guidance is needed in a prominent place on this site as to the dangers people face. People who can ill afford to lose money and who's finances are already in a dificult state

How pathetic....people only have to exercise common sense...MSE is not the guardian angel of the nation

Ridiculous patronising post....I have a very low opionion of Carl Wright and all the agents (particularly IFA's & mortgage advisers) who signed with him.....

However people just have to wake up to responsibilities and realise nothing is for nothing in this life. It's simple, you borrow money, you pay it back....
  • marshallka
    edited 18 March 2010 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I would say that the minority were in such a financial mess this sort of thing was their only way out. I would also say that any company offering such a service is not likely to repay their debts either so people can say goodbye to their fees or use the section 75 law as stated by MOJ. In fact that law will soon be changed on that as people will be using it as a free insurance for paying for anything with a risk. Who actually bears the cost using section 75... is it the banks? The people that firms like this are fighting. The only winners from a firm like this are the agents/workers/directors etc and some clients will break even but the banks will lose out so they have achieved their fights there. They have ripped them off goodstyle but not for the good of consumers, just for their own greed. And who will pay in the end. The people that DO repay their debts.
  • orc_2
    edited 23 March 2010 at 7:47AM
    Options
    Nice and simple to cry out "Nanny State". I appreciate you have your own opinion and thats fine.

All I want is effective regulation which does not appear to have happened in this instance. We are talking about 70,000 people involved in this case.

To allow another so called claims management company to rise from the ashes of the suspension of Cartel Client Review is morally wrong, given the sums of money being made by the individuals concerned- £20 million is quoted by Carl Wright himself. The legality of the situation will no doubt, hopefully, be investigated. I won't comment on that.

I have never advocated debt avoidance, never will. We need to reinforce the message that for the vast majority of people it is simply not an option and is never going to happen.

I strongly advise that people don't go near these claims management companies and I do advocate effective regulation and tighter regulation if required. I cannot say what should happen in the case of Cartel legally, due to the impact on MSE.

You only need to look at the banking crisis to see what happens when regulation is not enforced or ineffective. Greed on the part of the financial industry. OK, there is greed on the other side too, that does not cancel it out however.

Yes, there might be a chance this thread gets pulled. That's unfortunate as the message needs to get out to as many people as possible. This thread now appears on the first page of a google search for grass roots financial.

MSE need to do something with the masses of information that has previously been pulled from this site and not just rely on passing on only 80 cases as is referred to in the bulletin board, when it is aware of many, many more cases.

Avoid Grass Roots Financial Ltd. You cannot avoid debt, don't believe you can.
    Please ignore those people who post on this forum who deliberately try to misinform you. Don't be bullied by them, don't be blamed by them. You know who I mean.
    You come here for advice, help and support- thats what I and like minded others will try to do.
  • VIGILANT22
    edited 18 March 2010 at 9:19PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=orc

It is the MOJ themselves where the problem really lies...allowing all these claims co licences....

But people are warned it's a load of hogwash....but they wont believe you!

They believe what they want to believe...you just have to read here on the forums the ideas people have...They would rather believe their mate down the pub on financial matters than a qualifed person...because their mate tells them what suits them!

We will always have free loaders, I could almost write a full profile of the average claims client....

Why should this thread be pulled? It is topical on the BBC site, a blog in the Mirror ETC

I actually emailed the MOJ yesterday myself re Cartel as altho not taking new customers.. you could click on the link and get connected to this Grass Roots. In my opinion each and every one of them should be shut down and all the IFA's and mortgage advisers who hooked up to this should be deauthorised and commission clawed back and given to their clients.........

as for PeteJC21's remarks.....well maybe he'd fit the profile
  • orc_2
    edited 18 March 2010 at 10:30PM
    Options
    We seem to agree on some things Vigilant 22.

You mention the role of the MoJ and you are right to do so. It appears that the MoJ did not properly regulate Cartel. If they had, the numbers affected and the amount of cash involved would be less.

It is of course silly, for Cartel to advise people to reclaim their fees from credit cards, but that is allowed at present. However, we all pay for that in the end, of course.

You ask why the thread might get pulled. That is because it will be pulled if there is the slightest risk of legal and financial damage to MSE and Martin Lewis. Preventing that risk is for MSE perhaps on occassions, far more important than championing the more difficult and less profitable aspects of consumer affairs. The MSE modus operandi is targeted at mass popular appeal.

And yes, I have several years of reading the issues on the threads of this board and the other main consumer board.

After I wrote the above response to Vigilant, I became aware of Martins post regarding Cartel and removal of previous threads on the subject. Here is a link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=30982043#post30982043
  • VIGILANT22
    Options
    [QUOTE=orc

Please be aware of the following:

Registered premises of Grass Roots Financial Ltd

Grass Roots Financial Ltd ,
    Peter House ,
    Oxford St ,
    Manchester ,
    M1 5AN

Company Registration No: 05979001

This company first came to prominence in late January / early February 2009 .

Grass Root’s Financial Ltd is currently owned by a Master Agent for Cartel Client Review Ltd and a trusted member of the owner of Cartel's “inner circle” .QUOTE]

I've just had a look at the last filed accounts of Grass Roots (Financial) Ltd. and guess what? The company was insolvent to the tune of £11,000 as at March 2009. The business is a £2 company (ie only 2 shares issued) run by a husband and wife team of directors. The husband has held 13 offices in Limited companies but only 3 are still active, the rest have all been dissolved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure