We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Consumer Credit Services

Options
Hi

Looked through this forum and i could not see a definitive answer.

Are Consumer Credit Services based in llanelli a legit company and associated with the ministry of justice? They called me today and said i had a strong case to have my credit card balance wiped as my credit card company upped my exisiting limit to a new one without me signing any agreement and sending it back. They wanted £199.99 from me and said if i didn't get any money back from this at the end of it then they would refund it back to my credit card.

I've looked through Companies House and they look fine and produced up to date accounts to them.

I did give them my details but i just got suspicious and said i wanted to think about it so i didn't give them authorisation to proceed any further however they were giving the hard sell still even when i didn't want to carry on

If they turn out to be legit, has anyone had money refunded or has it turned out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jrd31 wrote: »
    Looked through this forum and i could not see a definitive answer.

I've looked through Companies House and they look fine and produced up to date accounts to them.

You must have missed Martin's article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges

Especially the bit that reads:
    A number of law firms, and claims handlers, now offer to claim back your charges for you. In general, I wouldn’t bother; simply do it yourself and don't bother using a law firm. However, if your case is more complex and/or you simply wouldn’t do it yourself, then bringing in a law firm is a reasonable last resort.

If you are going to use a lawyer make sure you fully understand the charging structure. You should NEVER PAY ANYTHING UPFRONT OR IF YOU LOSE. If the company is not open and up front about its fees (usually around 25% of what you get back) look elsewhere. You could also ask for references from other satisfied customers, which it should be happy to do if kosher.

All claims companies must be regulated for claims management activities and will have a reference to check (e.g. CRM1234) on the Ministry of Justice database. Avoid anyone not on this list.

I've conveniently put in bold red letters the pertinent piece of advice.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They contacted you? Why?

Always sets alarm bells ringing that.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • jrd31
    jrd31 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    thanks

i did look at martins article but it didn't look like it applied in this case the company were saying to me that as my credit card provider increased my credit limit without me signing any new agreement and sending it back then it was unlawful.

They do have a number with the Ministry Of Justice but i am still very suspicious of these people, they do really push the hard sell on you.

cheers
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You dont need to sign a new agreement. Your original agreement allows them to set a credit limit and periodically review it.

You have no claim.

You are half way to being scammed. Whether you go all the way is entirely up to you.
  • soul619
    soul619 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    ~Brock~ wrote: »
    You dont need to sign a new agreement. Your original agreement allows them to set a credit limit and periodically review it.

You have no claim.

You are half way to being scammed. Whether you go all the way is entirely up to you.

exactly! the t&c's you sign to start with state they can put your limit up or down as they see fit!
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Scammers preying on idiots.
  • ksinger
    Options
    CONSUMER CREDIT SERVICES
    15 - 16 COWELL STREET

CCS...MY ADVICE.....BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!BAD NEWS

My ex hubby got a phone call from these jerks...(and he's an even bigger jerk for even entertaining them!). As a result of their hard sell and his stupidity, he agreed to pay £200 to them. They, in return for this fee, claimed that they would check to see if you are due a refund from any credit card companies that may have mis-sold you a ppp.(payment protection plan) If you are not due a refund from a credit card company, they claim they will refund you the £200.

Anyway...it turned out that he was due nothing from the credit card company, he hadn't even taken out a ppp with his credit card.

NOW HERE IS THE BAD STUFF..........JUST TRY GETTING YOUR £200 BACK!!!!

So far, he's been wating 4 months. Phone call after phone call....and still no refund. They promise the refund....even say it's been credited to the bank account...but still NO REFUND!!

I've been in touch with consumer protection for him...and as a result have sent CCS a recorded delivery letter, and if CCS don't either refund the £200 or give a reason why they are not refunding the £200, then consumer protection are going to help retrieve the cash.

I will try to update this thread with any more news....

BUT MY ADVICE.......STAY WELL AWAY.....WELL AWAY!!!!BAD NEWS
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Consumer Credit Services are a fee paying company, using a similar name to the charity of CCCS, which is a dispicable thing to do! Do not use Consumer Credit Services.

Use instead the proper charity - http://www.cccs.co.uk/
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they're just scammers, random dialling and asking whoever answers the phone whether their credit card company has raised their credit limit without being asked to do so.
    Of course, everyone's credit card company has done this at some time, so they know that the person answering will show some interest. They then catch out the ones who aren't clued up on this type of approach.

Even worse, if you get talking to them and reveal your name and/or address, watch out for even more scam calls, from other companies, as the information gets traded around.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    It's only greedy, money for nothing people that get scammed. Others that do their best to pay back what they borrowed have nothing to worry about. Probably a lesson there somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure