IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
One Call Insurance
Views: 52,813
# 1
jorainbow
Old 03-03-2010, 7:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default One Call Insurance

I would appreciate it if anyone can assist here with some advice please! I have been with One Call for my car insurance since October. After a mess up with my direct debits and the receipt of a 7 day cancellation notice as they went into my bank on the wrong day, I eventually got this sorted - minus an apology of course! I am now buying a new car so called yesterday to transfer the insurance across bridging it for a couple of days until my new cover note arrived. The car is older and a smaller engine so in previous experience this would mean cheaper insurance and having had a quick look, I would be saving over £100 on my existing car insurance. Simple?? No - after getting through to a very inexperienced chap who was purely passing messages from his manager, it transpires that it would cost me the same plus £99. The cancellation fee? 55% of my current annual premium as I have been with them over six months (did put him right on this one!) So its either cancel and pay the fee or pay £99 and what can only be described as an extortionate price for a small little old car. The insurance company is Zurich. Can anyone see a way of sorting this with minimal expense? I used to be with M&S insurance and any changes like this were so easy! Thanks in advnce Jo
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
lisad412
Old 25-11-2010, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default One call insurance...UTTER DISGRACE

Hi, I recently joined with one call and its been the worst mistake of my life.....First of all they sent my first letter to my neighbour across the road, my name on the top of the letter but her address. It included direct debit details and asked for me to post my no claims bonus. After I sent this off (recorded delivery, and a note asking for them to change the address), I heard nothing, then my neighbour recieved a letter asking for a driving licence, this time tho the letter was sent addressed to her with her address. luckily my neighbour remembered the company and gave me my letter, I then spent half an hour ringing them asking them to ammend my policy details as i was unsure if i was covered since all the details where in my neighbours address ect.. They said the reasin for the mistake was because my neighbour had the same surname and did a search for insurance onine?????
That afteroon I faxed my driving licence which they asked for and rang to confirm they had recieved it (which they did). I also asked them to send me my policy again by email with it ammened which he said he would.
The next day i opened my policy, only for it to change from being in my name to my neighbours, then my name, then my neighbours??? |all in the same document?? ( i have no idea) I sent an email of complaint to the complaints department only to recieve and email saying ( i have copied and pasted)
I write to you in reply to your email on 24.11.10, in respect of your above policy arranged through One Call Insurance Services Ltd. I have tried on several occasions previously to contact you to resolve this matter, unfortunately you have been unavailable.....seriously???

Now today my neighbour came with another document stating that I have been charged 49.50, because they have not received my licence copy. ( aarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!)
Please please someone help me before I go insane???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisad412 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
angelafreelance
Old 18-01-2011, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have also been fined by these people - they asked for the copy of my driving licence, said I had to return it in seven days (I sent my copy the day after I got my letter) and now they've fined me. If anyone who is thinking about one call reads this, I would say forget it. It's clear they offer low premiums so they can charge punitive fines for this kind of thing. If a company is this bad at the start of a consumer relationship, just think how awful they would be if you needed to make a claim!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to angelafreelance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cardiffaccountant
Old 29-01-2011, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Me too

Took out a car policy for my wife end of December and they are now trying to impose a £49.95 fee for not sending them the back of the photocard. Obviously trying it on, so perhaps going with them was a bad decision.

Just got to hope that we don't have to make a claim....
# 5
nothingsimple
Old 11-02-2011, 6:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default one call charge

Hi All,
I have had a £49.95 charge from One Call.
DID NOT receive letter, got phone call requesting a copy of my driving licence. Explained it was the first I had heard of it and got an apology and asked if I could forward it, NO TIME SCALE.
A few days letter received a letter telling me of a £49.95 administration charge for not supplying a copy of my licence.
Sent numerous complaint emails...NOTHING.
Then I sent them an invoice for £49.95.
Got an immediate response, telling me the £49.95 had been removed from my account.

I suggest everyone does similar.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.
# 6
cardiffaccountant
Old 11-02-2011, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Don't Panic!

After reading the documents which came when the policy started I realised that their “Policy Summary – Initial Disclosure” document stated that any fee added to my account will be refunded if missing documents are received within 3 months and wrote to them pointing this out.

This changes the situation for me and I now view them as a company who thinks that their customers will only respond to “big stick” treatment, ie imposing a £50 charge in order to get documents back promptly. Not the best way to retain your customers, I suggest.
# 7
anajumble
Old 24-03-2011, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default one call insurance

I agree with the posts about this company -they are a bureaucratic trainwreck.They asked for difficult to get paperwork and when cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period(actually within 24 hours)they refused to give me my money back unless I jumped through their further bureauratic hoops -when I protested, they threatened me with a £49 admin fee unless I co-operated.They wanted proof from my new insurer that I was legally covered and they wouldn't release my money- in the event it was going to take 6-8 WEEKS to sort out.
I had to borrow money to get new insurance to get my own money back from them. Maddening ! AVOID.
# 8
vusys1
Old 24-03-2011, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had my 1st renewal quote off them (way over last years premium) called them to say I want to lapse the policy as I have had a cheaper quote, they matched it. No issues so far. Il post something if my renewal goes pete tong
# 9
60katy
Old 01-04-2011, 4:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am having problems with one call as well. renewed insurance in october, £29 per month d/d, changed to smaller newer car nov, d/d went up to £36 per month, added another driver January d/d went to £56, had to cancel other driver Feb, d/d now £61.50, have been in touch with them, £300 to cancel, which I don't have
# 10
izzybelle
Old 07-04-2011, 9:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Avoid at all costs!

I made the mistake of buying my car insurance with this rip off company! They just charged me £55 in admin fees for changing policy details.....Take my advice & go else where!
# 11
DezzaB
Old 16-07-2011, 8:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default OneCall One rip off

I have just recently had an issue with One Call Insurance, I had a car insured with them from October last year, A Vauxhall Meriva, the policy cost me £246 but in the last month I changed it for a newer car, when I rang to say I was changing it they told me it would be £214 extra to change it making it £454 in total. I was already 9 months into the policy so when I got a letter to say that I would now be paying them £171 a month for the next 3 months to cover it I rang and complained like hell. How can they increase it by that much and get away with it, they told me cancellation fees and all sorts of rubbish, but the other day I received a letter regarding the cancellation saying that I now owe them £306 for the privilege of cancelling it, how the hell do they work that out, they are an absolute disgrace and should not be able to do this. Apparently it is there policy to still charge the full amount after 9 months because of all the set up fees etc. What a load of tosh. CAN THEY REALLY DO THIS!!!!!!
# 12
mikey72
Old 16-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

No

pro rata (ish) and up to a £50 fee.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u.../insurance.htm

write a letter of complaint, if they still withhold the three months refund (less the fee) complain to the FOS.
# 13
Bookclay
Old 16-07-2011, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation One Call - Buyer Beware

I am currently sorting out my own One Call nightmare - they tried to charge me £55 to change my address! Not a policy change but actually a legal requirement. As policy only 11 days old I then tried to cancel it to then be told cooling off period did not apply because they had been upfront about these charges. I have since suggested they retrain their staff according to the law, and all charges/fines have been dropped with an apology. Threaten these with Ombudsman. I feel so strongly about this rip off company that I am escalating complaint to Office of Fair Trading and would ask that everyone else who has had an issue with these people do the same. For people that don't know their rights as far as Insurance etc goes end up being victims of bullying by companies like these. Swinton is the same by the way as they charge £25 for a change of address - absolutely criminal.
# 14
buckyrocks
Old 07-08-2011, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I hate this bunch of clowns. Never in my life have I dealt with such a bunch of money grabbing bafoons. First they sent me someone elses policy documents - some woman I had never met. When I emailed the onecall girl back the same day, I heard nothing - for 3 days. Then I started the complaint process, that was fantastic. Sent them my details, usual stuff, address, VRN, D.o.B etc, and they couldn't find me on the system! They'd taken the £300+ premium though, not a problem. Still no policy docs, or an apology for the MASSIVE data protection faux par. Then, some time after I get a letter telling me they had cancelled the policy because I hadn't sent them a copy of my No Claims. Fair one, I hadn't, but they hadn't sent me my policy docs either. I called to confirm it was cancelled, it was. Then emailed the next day to get it in writing, and guess what? It wasn't cancelled. I could go on, but typing this makes me angry. do you self a favour and AVOID this company. I'm taking it to the financial Ombudsman, through nothing more than hate alone. They will be the cheapest, but you will pay in the long run.
# 15
lubs
Old 24-08-2011, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default One Call - will take you for what they can - they dont care

I had changed my car to an older car (all I can afford), rang one call to change vehicle details and they informed me they dont insure cars over 10 years old. They said I will have to cancel. I did so but as it was 3 days into the 2nd month of my insurance term, I have been charged 2 months premiums @ 23.34 a month + 35% of the total premium. Ends up I'll be paying £98.00 for 1 months insurance! They have told me its not them imposing the fees but the insurance company I am insured with. If you read one calls policy booklet it is their fees! They also sent my letter to cancel the policy to someone else. Dont know who but these people now have all my personal details and when I complained was told it was a machine error and they would buy a new machine to envelope the mail. No apology or sorry that my personal details are now in someone else possession. Incedently, they sent me the personal details of someone else! I think they are a shocking company and I would never use them again. They even shut the call centre at 5.30pm. I have never heard anything so absurd in my life! I feel like they have defrauded me. I wish I had the money to take them to task. Well poor man looses and big company wins. Shame on them, but they will not catch me again.
ps, sorry it it sounds like a rant and for grammer or spelling mistakes - just so angry and feel so helpless!
# 16
chrisgreen
Old 13-09-2011, 3:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

it appears that onecall just cant help them selfs,well they can help them selfs to your's and mY money,i think they just look at the huge charge's as a bonus,i have been with them for 7 months and given them about £180 in charge's and today letter arrives wanting another £33,so a little clio has cost a 53 year old man with over 5 years ncb about £400 to insure
so i had( for my sanity) to cancel the policy and go insure it elsewere,
£197 fully comp,would i ever deal with ONECALL INSURANCE AGAIN ,NEVER i would rather have my eye's pulled out through my a**ehole,than be at the mercy of this bunch of shysters.
AVOID AT ALL COST.

Last edited by chrisgreen; 13-09-2011 at 3:08 PM.
# 17
barneygumble
Old 29-09-2011, 10:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

No wonder the owner of this company can afford to buy Mansfield Town football club with his £93 million.
# 18
clarkybravo
Old 19-10-2011, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy One call sound like Ryanair

Thanks everyone for posting about the spurious fines and extras used by this company. One call sound like Ryanair, they have lowish quotes to get you in then trash any possibility of brand loyalty. I did a search on One Call prior to taking up a quote and my suspicions have been confirmed - they will be losing me as a customer from the outset.
# 19
SamTheMan_2000
Old 27-10-2011, 7:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelafreelance View Post
I have also been fined by these people - they asked for the copy of my driving licence, said I had to return it in seven days (I sent my copy the day after I got my letter) and now they've fined me. If anyone who is thinking about one call reads this, I would say forget it. It's clear they offer low premiums so they can charge punitive fines for this kind of thing. If a company is this bad at the start of a consumer relationship, just think how awful they would be if you needed to make a claim!!!
I couldn't agree more. They did the same to me. Just wait until you have an accident, even though it's not your fault...Talk about dragging their heals and towing Lead. My insurance runs out next week and I am SO glad. I am however, still waiting for them to resolve my claim.

In my Opinion, because I don't want to upset anyone, I wouldn't grace their website again. Insurance is meant to take the strain out of owning a car, these guys just add to it.
# 20
charliepoddley
Old 28-10-2011, 9:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

If you think its bad setting up insurance with them wait until you have to claim from them!