PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Blackcurrants

Options
My two twig like bushes are covered in them......not enough I wouldnt of thought to make Jam.Obviously go off very quickly.....any ideas how to make best use of them please?

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Stew them with sugar and serve them over icecream or duck?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • VickyM_2
    VickyM_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    They make the best icecream or fool. For fool, cook them for about 10 minutes, add sugar to taste (they can be very tart or sweet), then sieve. Cool and add either double cream or yoghourt (again, it really depends on you just how much). Lovely... and to make ice-cream? do exactly the same then put in an ice-cream machine!
  • samh_2
    samh_2 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    I've just made some ice-cream with mine - absolutely gorgeous!

Push 450g blackcurrants through a nylon (NOT metal) sieve with a wooden spoon into a bowl. Dissolve 175g sugar in 150ml water over a medium heat, stirring all the time, then bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes. Stir the resulting syrup into the fruit pulp.

Whip 275ml double cream until it's just beginning to thicken then fold into the fruit and syrup mixture. At this point, if you have an ice-cream maker just tip it in, otherwise put it in a tupperware and freeze for 3 hours, then remove from the freezer, stir well to break up ice crystals, then put back in the freezer. Eat within 3 weeks.

You can also freeze the fruit by placing the berries on a baking tray in the freezer then putting the frozen berries into a bag later.

Enjoy!!
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    i posted a blackcurrant sauce recipe in the recipe index today
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I like the fool or icecream idea especially as its so hot......this way we get to all have some.Thankyou
    Ironically I thought I had planted raspberries and gooseberries......for years I thought my gooseberries had a disease till I sussed they were blackcurrants.The packets must of got mixed up!
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

has anyone any suggestions (polite ones of course) as to what to do with a huge carrier bag of blackcurrants that OH has brought back from the allotment. I still have some in the freezer from last year I dont know what to do with.

Cheers
    Kaz
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.wfu.org.uk/Recipes/blackcurrants.htm
    http://www.blackcurrantfoundation.co.uk/info.aspx?Id=245
    http://www.gcaa.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pages/recipes.html

A few ideas, maybe blackcurrant jam? I love them with cheesecake, just got that taste which goes great with cheesecake.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • sharon59
    sharon59 Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Options
    I have been picking ours today as well-plan to do some jam tomorrow-use Delia Smith as its easy-or it was last year and jam was lovely!!also east to stew down and freeze ready for crumbles.
    :j this money saving is such fun:T
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've made this recipe from my blackcurrant harvest http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette.cfm?num_recette=1644

A rough translation is

700g blackcurrants
    5 gelatine leaves
    250g sugar
    125ml water
    250g crème fraîche
    50g icing sugar

Push the currants through a fine sieve to extract as much pulp as you can. A juicer or a mouli-legumes will do the job quickly.

Put the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water to soak.

Heat the sugar and water to just boiling and stir until a clear syrup.

Add blackcurrant pulp and the soaked gelatine leaves one by one.

Allow to cool. Whisk crème fraîche with icing sugar and gently whisk into the currant mixture.

Chill for 24 hours.

Mine is chilling as I write, it is looking good.
  • Comerscroft
    Comerscroft Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    You are so........ooo lucky! I Read somewhere that blackcurrants are just the best for you, even better than blueberries. Most of the UK blackcurrants go to Ribena, so they are very expensive when they are available.

Enjoy your berries!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport