Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Eager_Elephant
Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 5 January 2010 at 10:23PM in Debt free diaries
………………into Debt Freedom!!

Over the last few months I have read people’s diaries and got all motivated so I think the time has come for me to do my own diary.

About Me

I am 29, married to my DH - 30 and we have 2 children, DS - 13 & DD - 7 today!!!
We live in a rented 3 bed house, we have 7 cats, 8 ducks, 1 goose & 20 hens in our garden. We also have 100+ chickens, 10 geese & 8 turkeys on a rented field (near our house).
I work part time (2 days) and I also do voluntary work 2 days per week leaving 1 day for myself. DH works full time with normal hours 9 -- 5 (unlike before).
I am a Debt Adviser so I should know better but at least I have empathy with my clients!!!!

Debts

Our debt situation has gradually got worse over the years, in 2004 we owed about £6000, now it is £23,000+. Lots of reasons for this include being frivolous, my DH has depression and buying things makes him happy so I have allowed the spending to get out of control. Part of the £23,000 includes 2 cars which we brought recently, total = £14000 so I guess if we didn’t have them we would have about the same amount of debt!!

We have been very good with our credit cards lately and I have not used mine for over 6 months, DH used his to buy tyres for his car instead of using his bank account and now he does not have the money to cover the cost!! Grrrr!!

My debts are all credit cards:

Barclaycard - £7,354.66 – approx £4706.65 is on 0% until Apr 2010 and the rest is on 24.9%.

Paypal - £631.21 – just finished promo offer and now at 17.9%

Amazon - £2,321.62 – some at 15.9% and 6.9% life of balance.

Abbey - £889.82 – 0% until April 2010

Total - £11197.31

My DH’s debts are all credit cards:

Amazon - £5,540.63 – 6.9% life of balance

Paypal - £1,276.13 – some at 17.49% and 26.47%

Tesco - £3,261.83 – 0% until 23/1/10

Barclaycard - £1,872.56 – some at 14.9% & 27.9%

Total - £11951.15

Grand Total = £23148.46

The plan is to clear DH’s Paypal card asap and then balance transfer some of the credit cards with the mixed interest rates to make it easier to keep track of and of course I know that the lower interest is cleared first.

Finances

Up until earlier this year we used to have a joint bank account into which both our wages were paid and the bills would be paid from this. DH thought that he was restricted as we did not have spending money so bought things of Ebay with his credit card.

We now have single accounts which our wages are paid into and we pay the same amount in to the joint account each month to over the household bills. We each have to pay our own credit cards bills, car expenses and pocket money. Child Tax Credit is paid into a seperate account and is used to pay the childminder and for when we are skint in all accounts.

I do not agree with the above re division of monthly cost but DH will not have it any other way. To make sure I can afford my half I have to include Child Benefit and CSA as my income, however CSA has just decreased by £40 per week so I am short on my income every month. Before Xmas I read the calculations and I think they are wrong so I need to sit down and write a letter to CSA asking for a recalculation.

This Year – 2010

Things are going to change this year as we are moving house and having a relative move in. Fingers crossed we will be in our new house on 1st February and then the relative will be joining us at Easter. (This has numerous problems attached as other relatives are not happy about this and are causing a stir)
We are not sure what we will do with our current house but we may buy it and then rent it out – stupid idea I know when we are in debt!

I also hope that in 2010 our debts will reduce significantly.

This Decade – 2010 - 2020

In the next few years we hope to buy a smallholding so will need to get a deposit together.

I would also like to visit this place: http://www.blesele.org/

I love elephants, I collect elephant ornaments and when I went to Sri Lanka I rode on the back of one and fed some. I love elephants.

I think the price is quite reasonable (if I wasn’t in debt) so this is another thing to aim for.

The Plan

House Move – I sent an admin cheque to the estate agents last week for £460 which will probably be cashed next week – this money is sitting in my bank account but it does mean that I am unable to pay my contribution to the bills at the moment.
I assume we will need 2 months deposit, so need to also save £1300 within the next few weeks. (The reason this is a bit up in the air is because we are renting from friends but they have decided to go through an estate agents and we are not sure if they will follow usual rental protocol or give us some leeway)

I need to have a good declutter of the house by end of Jan. I started yesterday with son’s bedroom and have listed items on Freegle which will hopefully be collected this weekend. Anything not collected can go to the charity shop on Monday.

I also need to speak to RSPCA about rehoming some of my cats as we cannot take them all with us. 4 cats will need to be rehomed, 3 of these are brother/sisters and are quite wild – they will be stroked on their own terms but cannot be held or anything like that. The other one is a male kitten we kept from a litter in the summer but he keeps urinating all over the house even when there is a clean litter tray so he cannot come to a rental home with us.

Debts/House Deposit & Costs - I will continue to sell items on ebay and this money will go into a spare bank account I have to be used for the House costs or towards debts.

I have been doing Butlins Bingo, I have had 1 payout of £10 and I am currently up to £5.13 – must remember to scratch every day and twice on Sundays!!

I have been doing surveys on and off for a few years but never on a regular basis (as proven by the transaction history on each account!!). Last night (because I am sad and did not go out, not really I never go out on NYE I prefer to stay at home) I logged into all my survey sites and got updates on all balances etc:

Yougov – 4585 points (need 5000 to payout £50.00)
Pure Profile - £18.20 (need £25.00 for payout)
Lightspeed – 2475 points (can take a payout now)
Global Test – 76 points (need 1000) (had payout just before Xmas)
Valued Opinions – £5.75
Opinion Bar - £7.38 (need £10.00 for payout)
Harris Poll – 460 HIPoints (need 2500) (some removed as no surveys done within 6mths)
One Poll - £4.05 (need £40.00 for payout)
Ipoints – 1280 (converted some of these before Xmas)
Rewarded Opinions – 995 points (need 2000 for payout)
MyVoice - 545 points (need 2000 for payout)

So I will make sure I do my surveys every day or every 2 days if pushed for time.

If anyone knows of any more survey sites please let me know. (I used to be a member of Toluna but it did not seem worth it for the points, unless I am missing something and someone can give me some hints)

I will also post every day on a brilliant thread called ‘Payment A Day’ - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2047605
Basically you make one payment every day, no matter how small, to one of your debts or into savings. This money can come from money you have saved on your food bill, money you have raised by selling things etc. The total paid in 2009 was just under half a million - £500.000!!!!
I have been doing this sporadically but need to concentrate and do it every day.

I would also like to make special mention to a board on Motley Fool called Your Tomorrow Starts Today, it’s all about listing your goals for the month and trying to achieve them – sometime’s they may seem insignificant but to that poster they are a hurdle in life. If you need support every one there is willing to give it. Long term goals are an option but it’s all the little goals needed to get to the bigger ones.

I have read Weezl74’s threads on the Old Style boards, I am part way through the 50p per day until Xmas. She is so inspiring and I wish to follow her lead and save some money on food this month. We don’t really have a food budget for this month as all spare money will be needed for house costs so I want to try and use most of the things out of the cupboard and fridge before we move –could be some interesting combinations.
The chest freezer will not be coming with us, there is no room and it is on it’s last legs – luckily before Xmas I sorted it out so there is some party food, 2 turkeys and that’s about it – shouldn’t be too difficult to use up!

I know what your all thinking by now – why doesn’t she stop waffling and get on with things!! – well it all starts here.

Thanks for following me on my journey.

EE

Comments

• Well............

Since I last posted one of my cats has been killed on the road outside our house. I am gutted and I just can't help wondering that I jinxed it all by posting what I did above!!!

I am gutted, I have started on the Rum, Tia Maria & Coke and eaten loads of chocolate and now I feel sick.

I know I will feel better in the morning but just having a mope.

I have started my House money with £53.49 which was in the account from a pre-Xmas Paypal transfer. I then logged into Paypal and transferred a further £30.73 into the account.

I have no surveys to do and I have just done my scratchies and won 10p.

We have had party food today using up some bits from the freezer, loads left over so can have that tomorrow.
    Realised yesterday that had not got DD a birthday cake for today so threw together a nice chocolate one with smarties on which DD helped me make. Must have saved a fortune from a shop brought one.

Catch you all tomorrow.

EE
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So sorry to hear about your cat EE.

*hugs*
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,493
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi EE, sorry about your cat. :(

I do a lot of surveys, another one I do is Ipsos and also Pinecone but both are invite/banner only to join. There is usually a thread on MSE telling people where the banners are when they come up - that's how I joined both of them. I do most of the other sites you are already a member of - oh what about MyVoice http://www.myvoice.co.uk/ - although they haven't had many surveys lately.

You might want to think about doing daily clicks - it is time consuming and quite boring but once you start getting the money through it's a good incentive. Have a look at this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2132075

I also do review writing on Ciao.co.uk and Dooyoo which is ok as I enjoy writing but you don't make a lot from it.

Well, see you on the pad thread and good luck with everything. :beer:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,258, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £345. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • gilligansyle
    gilligansyle Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    Hi

some of the survey sites are a bit of a pain aren't they as they take too long to pay out. Personally I will give up on YouGov once I've reached the £50, but will do more on Ipsos as this pays out in vouchers at £10 and concentrate on the likes of Lightspeed which pays at small numbers.

Have you signed up for any mystery shopping?
    We have just had a tea of party food and chocolate cake, while watching Doctor Who, can't beat it.

See you around
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2010 at 9:11PM
    Hi :hello:

Well technically I have had another NSD except I had to sort my brother's theory test which he will pay me for when I see him next.

I have done my scratchie but no surveys.

I have converted some of my Lightspeed points into a Paypal transfer so as soon as this shows I can move it into my bank account.

I have made my PAD of £5.00 today. I have some money to pay into the bank on Tuesday from selling our turkeys at Xmas, think it is £300+.

I think my DH is on board, today he boiled up the turkey bones and pulled off all the meat and then decided he would make a stew/casserole in the slow cooker. He has used up some of the veg we brought before Xmas along with the stock and some out of date gravy granules.
    This will be served with mashed potato.
    I will have some left over Mushroom Wellington (which I made 30/12).

For lunch we had left over quiche, wedges & beetroot from yesterday while DH had bubble and squeak using leftovers from 30/12.

I have just remembered that I have loads of expenses from the committee I am on, think I will add these up and sort my claim, should be able to get cheque on 11/1 at next meeting.

EE

P.S Have done mystery shopping in the past and I earnt quite a lot, recently I have not really had the time but need to get back into this more.
    In November I did find my notebook with passwords in so logged in and reopened my accounts and I have already been offered work but have been unable to accept as not convenient.
  • Forgot to say I have 3 items on ebay, 1 item has 7 watchers, 1 has 2 watchers and the other 1 has 1 watcher.

Managed to declutter a bit today, I offered items on Freecycle and had collected today PS1 with loads of games, Dora things & games for kids.

Anything not wanted by Monday is going to charity shop including a huge box of books.

EE
  • Ah ha, found you! Sorry to hear about your cat

Sx
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi EE,

Sorry about your at, we lost one last month and it's a horrible time.

Can I ask a question and please don't be offended? Given what you're trying to do, I appreciate the altruism of you doing 2 days voluntary work per week but if the opportunity cost of that is potentially two days wages to get you out of debt, is it the right thing for you at the moment.

I was volunteering at the CAB but knew I'd have to stop if a paying job came up. They more than understood that too. It seems self defeating to help people in debt if that help actually puts you more in debt iyswim. You say it helps you empathise with your clients, but if one of them came into you and related your working pattern and said they couldn't make ends meet wouldn't your advice be put the voluntary work on hold and find something that brings in extra money?

Best wishes
    KJ
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • kissjenn wrote: »
    Hi EE,

Can I ask a question and please don't be offended? Given what you're trying to do, I appreciate the altruism of you doing 2 days voluntary work per week but if the opportunity cost of that is potentially two days wages to get you out of debt, is it the right thing for you at the moment.

I was volunteering at the CAB but knew I'd have to stop if a paying job came up. They more than understood that too. It seems self defeating to help people in debt if that help actually puts you more in debt iyswim. You say it helps you empathise with your clients, but if one of them came into you and related your working pattern and said they couldn't make ends meet wouldn't your advice be put the voluntary work on hold and find something that brings in extra money?

Best wishes
    KJ

Hi kissjenn,

No offence taken, at least it adds some extra posts to my diary!!!

Maybe I should have expanded more on my voluntary job. I have been volunteering as a Debt Adviser for over 4 years and also had a part time job (I have always worked part time due to children). Last year I was offered a paid job as a Debt Adviser which I took and gave up my old job. So I am paid for 2 days and I volunteer for 2 (but only short hours).
    I haven't really looked for other jobs as I know the hours would be difficult to fit around the children plus I would lose out on Tax Credits to help with childcare.
    Two years ago I was offered a full time job as a Debt Adviser but when I worked it out I would have been £30 per week better off for working an extra 20 hours!!!
    DH and I are at a nice point with earnings which means we are topped up by Tax Credits to help with childcare, too much more and we would lose it completely so unless I go full time on an excellent salary I can't see the point.

Hope this explains my situation better, fire away if you have more questions.

EE
  • Update for today -

I have spent £7.20 in Morrisons on toilet roll, tissues, mayonnaise & vanilla essence (for cakes) - this was change I had in my purse from before Xmas so no money from bank accounts. I have about 35p left.

I have done my scratchies (2 as it is a Sunday) and 2 surveys.

I have done my PAD of £5.00 to bank account.

Might be going into town tomorrow so will pay turkey money in so I know exactly where I am.

DH has some money in Paypal which he says can go in the House Costs account, don't think he has done it yet so need to chase it up. Obviously he will have to withdraw to his own account and then transfer to the other account.

I have added up my expenses to claim and it is £65 so will send info off tomorrow to treasurer and will get cheque at next meeting.

Very good day food wise, normal breakfasts, for lunch we reheated the turkey stew and added some turkey curry from the fridge (made last week) and served this with rice. I made a veggie curry using sweet potato (brought ages ago), onions, quorn, toms, curry powder & cream (needs to be used up from Xmas).
    For tea we had turkey curry/veg curry with home made chips.

On ebay Item 1 has 9 watchers and 1 bid @ £9.99, the others have the same watchers as yesterday.

More decluttering today, the lego has been collected. I originally had 1 BNIB to offer and the lady mentioned her 3 boys have lots of it so I found some odds and ends and gave them to her as well.
    The person who collected the Dora things emailed me to say thanks and her daughter was chuffed - it's so nice to get an email like that.

Gosh that's a long update, I have probably forgotten something so I'll be posting again in a minute!!

EE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport