IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Learning to crochet
Views: 47,119
# 1
p-pincher
Old 29-12-2009, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Learning to crochet

hi everyone

really hoping somebody can help me. i'm trying to get a headstart on next christmas and thanks to everyoes great ideas on this forum i've just about decided what things i want to make for next year.

I really want to take up knitting again and i am currently weighing up buying a sewing machine but the one thing i'd really like to is to learn how to crochet as to my shame i never bothered to learn at school (was to busy skiving round the back of the bike sheds).

Can anybody give me any advice, things like books or online tutorials on how to get started as well as what are the best type of things to make to get started (would really like to try my hand a scarves),

Thanks Clare x
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to p-pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
zombiecazz
Old 29-12-2009, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to zombiecazz Send a message via Yahoo to zombiecazz

Check out this thread

If I remember correctly there are some links to tutorials.
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zombiecazz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Gingerbiscuit
Old 30-12-2009, 4:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Good luck! I think a good way is to go down your library and get out lots of books. Often you can read how to do it several times but there is one way just for you that makes it "click".
Sadly not all the big easy book for beginner's are as easy!

Get yourslef a hook and some wool and see how you get on once you have mastered the basics you be away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gingerbiscuit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Rummer
Old 30-12-2009, 4:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Penelope Penguin
Old 30-12-2009, 5:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummer View Post
I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!
I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Savvybunny2009
Old 30-12-2009, 5:41 PM

I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?
May Wins: Cheese Prize
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Savvybunny2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
lollyball
Old 30-12-2009, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.

Thank you for the inspiration!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lollyball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
nuttybabe
Old 30-12-2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvybunny2009 View Post
I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?
does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nuttybabe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Savvybunny2009
Old 30-12-2009, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttybabe View Post
does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.
I think it comes with all the bits you need, I will keep an eye out for the advert to check, not sure who is publishing the magazine I will try to google it for you. It goes up to 2.99 after the first copy.
May Wins: Cheese Prize
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvybunny2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Hippychick
Old 30-12-2009, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I saw this advert as well and thought it would look a good way to learn, I thought the mag with a hook and 2 balls of yarn for 99p was good value.

I tried googling it but no joy. I think it's called How to crochet.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - 12,186.17
Barclaycard 11,027.58
Halifax 1,158.59
5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
the_cosmos_rocks
Old 30-12-2009, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I also saw the advert.
I thought it was called 'the art of crochet'...but i had no hope in finding it either
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_cosmos_rocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
li'l_p
Old 30-12-2009, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.theartofcrochet.com/

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

The first issue is 99p. Goes up to 2.99 for the rest. (120 issues...!!!)

Last edited by li'l_p; 30-12-2009 at 7:54 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to li'l_p For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
bunbun2
Old 30-12-2009, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by li'l_p View Post
http://www.theartofcrochet.com/

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

The first issue is 99p. Goes up to 2.99 for the rest. (120 issues...!!!)
thank you for this lil_p and also savvybunny for mentioning it. I will look for this tomorrow as I would like to learn to crochet and have plenty of time to learn before Christmas! I can't knit,sew or crochet so it could take a while!

thanks also to p-pincher for the OP and giving me the idea!

Last edited by bunbun2; 30-12-2009 at 8:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunbun2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Hippychick
Old 30-12-2009, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!

CC debt at 8/7/13 - 12,186.17
Barclaycard 11,027.58
Halifax 1,158.59
5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jojotoo
Old 30-12-2009, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have a look at attic 24, she makes amazing crocheted bags, cushions, blankets, flowers and scarves and kindly shares tutorials so we can make them too!
Ah, I'm not allowed to do links coz I'm now so go to attic24 dot typepad dot com and that should take you there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jojotoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
the_cosmos_rocks
Old 30-12-2009, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://attic24.typepad.com/ Theres the link jojotoo
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the_cosmos_rocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Penelope Penguin
Old 30-12-2009, 8:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollyball View Post
Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.
That's not mine - I'm just following that pattern
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
li'l_p
Old 30-12-2009, 9:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippychick View Post
Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!
Err, me too! A near completed set will probably show up at a car boot sale sometime in the future
The Following User Says Thank You to li'l_p For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
SunnyGirl
Old 30-12-2009, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope Penguin View Post
I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this
Thanks for those links Penny. I have knitted for years but have recently fancied giving crochet a whirl so I have ordered the book from my library and bookmarked the LazyDaisy page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Yama
Old 30-12-2009, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I started learning a couple of days ago. I've been following a YouTube video on crocheting a traditional granny square and, after 20 attempts, it clicked!! Great thing I found with that is that I can watch, pause, go back (jotted key times with understandable steps on paper to refer back to). I prefer to get my hands dirty with a simple task straight away than look at pictures of stitches in books, but I think it seems to make sense...hopefully.

Bought a beautiful book on crochet blocks and ordered the 'happy hooker' plus a couple of books from the library to browse through for hints.

Charity shops are great for balls of wool - especially when you don't want the expense initially.

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yama For This Useful Post: Show me >>