Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 29th Dec 09, 8:14 PM
    • 713Posts
    • 3,584Thanks
    p-pincher
    Learning to crochet
    • 29th Dec 09, 8:14 PM
    Learning to crochet 29th Dec 09 at 8:14 PM
    hi everyone

really hoping somebody can help me. i'm trying to get a headstart on next christmas and thanks to everyoes great ideas on this forum i've just about decided what things i want to make for next year.

I really want to take up knitting again and i am currently weighing up buying a sewing machine but the one thing i'd really like to is to learn how to crochet as to my shame i never bothered to learn at school (was to busy skiving round the back of the bike sheds).

Can anybody give me any advice, things like books or online tutorials on how to get started as well as what are the best type of things to make to get started (would really like to try my hand a scarves),

Thanks Clare x
Page 1
  • zombiecazz
    • 29th Dec 09, 8:26 PM
    • 29th Dec 09, 8:26 PM
    Check out this thread

If I remember correctly there are some links to tutorials.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Gingerbiscuit
    • 30th Dec 09, 4:08 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 4:08 PM
    Good luck! I think a good way is to go down your library and get out lots of books. Often you can read how to do it several times but there is one way just for you that makes it "click".
    Sadly not all the big easy book for beginner's are as easy!

Get yourslef a hook and some wool and see how you get on once you have mastered the basics you be away.
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 30th Dec 09, 4:22 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 37,958 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 30th Dec 09, 4:22 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 4:22 PM
    I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Dec 09, 5:31 PM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:31 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:31 PM
    I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!
    Originally posted by Rummer
    I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
    • Savvybunny2009
    • By Savvybunny2009 30th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 16,591 Thanks
    Savvybunny2009
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?
    February Wins: Personalised Jar of Nutella, Golf Ball Pick Up, Macro Camera Lens and Storage Bag Kit, Brita Water Bottle, Football, Essential Oil Set
  • lollyball
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:44 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:44 PM
    Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.

Thank you for the inspiration!!
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 30th Dec 09, 5:46 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 20,598 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:46 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:46 PM
    I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?
    Originally posted by Savvybunny2009
    does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.
    • Savvybunny2009
    • By Savvybunny2009 30th Dec 09, 5:49 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 16,591 Thanks
    Savvybunny2009
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:49 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 5:49 PM
    does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.
    Originally posted by nuttybabe
    I think it comes with all the bits you need, I will keep an eye out for the advert to check, not sure who is publishing the magazine I will try to google it for you. It goes up to £2.99 after the first copy.
    February Wins: Personalised Jar of Nutella, Golf Ball Pick Up, Macro Camera Lens and Storage Bag Kit, Brita Water Bottle, Football, Essential Oil Set
  • Hippychick
    I saw this advert as well and thought it would look a good way to learn, I thought the mag with a hook and 2 balls of yarn for 99p was good value.

I tried googling it but no joy. I think it's called How to crochet.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • the_cosmos_rocks
    I also saw the advert.
    I thought it was called 'the art of crochet'...but i had no hope in finding it either
    • li'l_p
    • By li'l_p 30th Dec 09, 7:47 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    li'l_p
    http://www.theartofcrochet.com/

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

The first issue is 99p. Goes up to £2.99 for the rest. (120 issues...!!!)
    Last edited by li'l_p; 30-12-2009 at 7:54 PM.
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 30th Dec 09, 8:05 PM
    • 3,508 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    bunbun2
    http://www.theartofcrochet.com/

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

The first issue is 99p. Goes up to £2.99 for the rest. (120 issues...!!!)
    Originally posted by li'l_p
    thank you for this lil_p and also savvybunny for mentioning it. I will look for this tomorrow as I would like to learn to crochet and have plenty of time to learn before Christmas! I can't knit,sew or crochet so it could take a while!

thanks also to p-pincher for the OP and giving me the idea!
    Last edited by bunbun2; 30-12-2009 at 8:07 PM.
  • Hippychick
    Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • jojotoo
    Have a look at attic 24, she makes amazing crocheted bags, cushions, blankets, flowers and scarves and kindly shares tutorials so we can make them too!
    Ah, I'm not allowed to do links coz I'm now so go to attic24 dot typepad dot com and that should take you there.
  • the_cosmos_rocks
    http://attic24.typepad.com/ Theres the link jojotoo
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Dec 09, 8:37 PM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.
    Originally posted by lollyball
    That's not mine - I'm just following that pattern
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
    • li'l_p
    • By li'l_p 30th Dec 09, 9:29 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    li'l_p
    Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!
    Originally posted by Hippychick
    Err, me too! A near completed set will probably show up at a car boot sale sometime in the future
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 30th Dec 09, 9:39 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 30,316 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Thanks for those links Penny. I have knitted for years but have recently fancied giving crochet a whirl so I have ordered the book from my library and bookmarked the LazyDaisy page.
  • Yama
    I started learning a couple of days ago. I've been following a YouTube video on crocheting a traditional granny square and, after 20 attempts, it clicked!! Great thing I found with that is that I can watch, pause, go back (jotted key times with understandable steps on paper to refer back to). I prefer to get my hands dirty with a simple task straight away than look at pictures of stitches in books, but I think it seems to make sense...hopefully.

Bought a beautiful book on crochet blocks and ordered the 'happy hooker' plus a couple of books from the library to browse through for hints.

Charity shops are great for balls of wool - especially when you don't want the expense initially.

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

853Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter