Learning to crochet

hi everyone

really hoping somebody can help me. i'm trying to get a headstart on next christmas and thanks to everyoes great ideas on this forum i've just about decided what things i want to make for next year.

I really want to take up knitting again and i am currently weighing up buying a sewing machine but the one thing i'd really like to is to learn how to crochet as to my shame i never bothered to learn at school (was to busy skiving round the back of the bike sheds).

Can anybody give me any advice, things like books or online tutorials on how to get started as well as what are the best type of things to make to get started (would really like to try my hand a scarves),

Thanks Clare x
March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00

Comments

• Check out this thread

If I remember correctly there are some links to tutorials.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Good luck! I think a good way is to go down your library and get out lots of books. Often you can read how to do it several times but there is one way just for you that makes it "click".
    Sadly not all the big easy book for beginner's are as easy!

Get yourslef a hook and some wool and see how you get on once you have mastered the basics you be away.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Rummer wrote: »
    I would love to be able to crochet but it is a thing I have never been able to do! Some online tutorials and a few books from the library will give you lots of hints and tips to get you started, when you master it can you let me know which resource was the most effective!

I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.

Thank you for the inspiration!!
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    I saw an advert on TV today for... wait for it... a magazine series which is learning crochet! I think its 1.99 for first copy with free dvd and patterns and stuff, as you go on a learn new stitches you will be able to add all the bits together to make a lovely blanket. I am tempted but being in my 20's I have a feeling my husband would laugh at me, his mum is fab at the art of crochet she made me some lovely slippers for christmas and I love them. Oooh tempted, what do you ladies (and gentlemen) think?

does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.
  • nuttybabe wrote: »
    does it come with a crochet hook as well? if it does i will probably get the first copy.

I think it comes with all the bits you need, I will keep an eye out for the advert to check, not sure who is publishing the magazine I will try to google it for you. It goes up to £2.99 after the first copy.
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • I saw this advert as well and thought it would look a good way to learn, I thought the mag with a hook and 2 balls of yarn for 99p was good value.

I tried googling it but no joy. I think it's called How to crochet.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • I also saw the advert.
    I thought it was called 'the art of crochet'...but i had no hope in finding it either :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure