IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Boots after-Christmas sales - 75% off now over?
Views: 727,146
# 1
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 2:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Boots after-Christmas sales - 75% off now over?

Update 02 Feb: Several people have reported the sale has ended in-store, too, as of Monday. This is quite unusual, as the sale normally ends when the stock is all gone. ;(

Update 21 Jan: Looks like the online portion of the sale is over due to "unprecedented demand." It's ongoing in stores. (Thanks to mmmkbb for pointing this out!) Some of the sale stock is still available online but it is now full price and will stay that way. Crazyposhgal called CS for details.

NEW update 19 Jan: MSE has gotten official word from Boots that the sale is tomorrow, 20th Jan! Let the bargains roll!

Update 19 Jan: Looks like we're still on course for the 75% off sale starting tomorrow in-store and online!

Update 12 Jan:
MSE has heard from Boots that the sale will NOT be the 13th after all. It will probably be Wednesday, 20th Jan., according to multiple reports from those who work at or have inquired at Boots.

Original post:

Boots reduces its Christmas stock to 50% off on Boxing Day in store. The sale typically goes live online Christmas Eve (actually, probably the wee hours on Christmas morning). The 75% off sale happen in store mid-January. Not sure when it goes to 90%.

Just as a guideline, last year I purchased:

-50% off items online on 31 December at 1:54 a.m. (apparently it did start Christmas Eve/Christmas morn, but I was jet lagged and didn't bother)
-75% off items online on 14 January at 3:10 a.m.

Anyone who knows when reductions might be this year, please share! I'm sure the site will crash again based on what happened with the Soap & Glory hatboxes, but you know we'll try anyway, lol!

Update 12 Jan: Ah, the twists of Boots sales. Now some say the sale has been delayed until NEXT Wednesday! Thanks to Kayteehee and others for the update. Really impossible to say when it will really be at this point, just be aware that the sale date isn't certain until you have 75% off goodies in your hot little hands!

Update 10 Jan: A fly in the ointment for plans to shop on the 13th! Some say it may be the 14th now. Thanks to Carebear8, who learned: "My Sister works at Boots and they have all been told the 75% sale starts on the 14th instore. I questioned her about this and she said its definately the 14th but maybe a small chance it could be the 13th. It's all quite hush hush apparently."

Update 03 Jan: Someone who is friend of a Boots employee (on HUKD) says that the 75% sale starts 13th Jan in-store (so probably online, too).

Edit: According to Edinburghgirl:
-the boots.com 50% off sale starts at noon on xmas eve.
-the 75% off sale starts on boots.com and instore on 13th jan

Edit: According to Floralaura, the 75% off sale starts online and in-store on 14 Jan. Boots can keep us guessing, so it's hard to say for certain until it happens. Keep those eyes peeled for deals!

Last edited by skibster; 02-02-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Update sale info
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to skibster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
boogellyboo
Old 20-12-2009, 3:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Online the 50% started on christmas eve, I placed an order in the afternoon (4.21pm, just checked my order history on boots.com) and IIRC the site went offline for a while then came back with the sale prices.
Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to boogellyboo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogellyboo View Post
Online the 50% started on christmas eve, I placed an order in the afternoon (4.21pm, just checked my order history on boots.com) and IIRC the site went offline for a while then came back with the sale prices.
Good to know, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to skibster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
miss_independent
Old 20-12-2009, 3:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry to thread butt, does this sale include premium gifts i.e Elizabeth Arden etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to miss_independent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_independent View Post
Sorry to thread butt, does this sale include premium gifts i.e Elizabeth Arden etc?
The main sale is the reduction of Boots "Christmas" items -- these are part of the current 3 for 2 promotion and have green tags on them. I don't think that includes any EA items. But Elizabeth Arden might reduce any special Christmas stock -- certainly worth a look!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skibster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
EmH
Old 20-12-2009, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Given how tight Mr B has been this year, I am expecting a 25% off sale instead of a 50% off, with only half the usual stock actually in the sale. And then a 30% off sale instead of a 75% off sale, and finally a 5 minute 50% off sale instead of the 90%. Throughout the sales assistants will be poorly advised, and will all say different things, and the web site will crash randomly and regularly whether anyone is using it or not.
Nothing to see here, move along now
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EmH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
NIMI
Old 20-12-2009, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

anyon eknow when the perfume gifsets will be reduced... is that with the 50% sale or earlier....thank you in advance
LLB HONS
im well chuffed...........
# 8
Dinah93
Old 20-12-2009, 9:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: Up North (amongst dragons and vikings... apparently)

I got a lot of presents for birthdays and this Christmas in last years sale, so will be dissapointed if its only 25% this year as that doesn't really make it such a good deal!
Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 03/09/2010 Baby girl born 26/03/2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 13/06/2014 - 11 weeks early
# 9
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah93 View Post
I got a lot of presents for birthdays and this Christmas in last years sale, so will be dissapointed if its only 25% this year as that doesn't really make it such a good deal!
I think she was just joking Boots is a bit crap at times; I think the sale will be 50% off.
# 10
EmH
Old 20-12-2009, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, I was joking - based on how awful most of the "offer of the week"s have been this year, and how few really good points offers and deals there have been throughout the year.

Still, it's saved me a fortune in Boots because I've just not been enticed to buy stuff just because it's a "bargain". There's usually loads I want from the Christmas catalogue too, but this year I wanted very little. Either I am getting over my Boots addiction, or Boots are losing their touch.
Nothing to see here, move along now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
shirlgirl2004
Old 20-12-2009, 9:58 PM

My order from the 50% off shows at 01:17am on the 25/12/08 and 14/01/2009 at 03:21 for the 75%. I was lucky to be able to order within hours of the reductions going live on both occasions.
The Following User Says Thank You to shirlgirl2004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
leedsmum
Old 20-12-2009, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am so pleased this thread has been started, cant wait for the Boots sale

Just hope im not building it up for myself too much, still getting over the S&G debacle, in which I was unsucessful
The Following User Says Thank You to leedsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Dinah93
Old 20-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Seems I got an email from Boots on the 14th, said gifts were up to 75% off, so think it was the 50% sale maybe?!
Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 03/09/2010 Baby girl born 26/03/2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 13/06/2014 - 11 weeks early
# 14
veggieblob
Old 20-12-2009, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default nooooooooooooooooooo

.. I need more time to get over F5 rsi and nightmares about Mr & Mrs Orange from the S&G night!!
The Following User Says Thank You to veggieblob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
marias1981
Old 20-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieblob View Post
.. I need more time to get over F5 rsi and nightmares about Mr & Mrs Orange from the S&G night!!

This is what got me throught the night!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marias1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmum View Post
I am so pleased this thread has been started, cant wait for the Boots sale

Just hope im not building it up for myself too much, still getting over the S&G debacle, in which I was unsucessful
The upcoming sale will be a debacle too, it's a safe bet. But for those few who manage to stay up late and get in an order before it all crashes, it will be a thrill. Don't know why I'm excited, as I really only want a few things if they go to 75% off. I may try for a couple things at 50% though, hard to resist!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skibster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
emweaver
Old 20-12-2009, 11:02 PM

last year their sale was pulled early as their site couldnt cope! hope it doesnt happen again
Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
# 18
Dinah93
Old 20-12-2009, 11:07 PM

I'm a bit confused to be honest, I thought I bought in the 50% off sale, but given the dates maybe I bought in the 75% off one?
# 19
mmmkbb
Old 20-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what are the stuff that goes 50% on christmas?

toys?
# 20
skibster
Old 20-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmkbb View Post
what are the stuff that goes 50% on christmas?

toys?
All the current 3 for 2 Boots Christmas items.
The Following User Says Thank You to skibster For This Useful Post: Show me >>