Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Drying oranges for decorations (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Drying oranges for decorations
Views: 28,035
# 1
Lula13
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Drying oranges for decorations

Morning everyone, I have searched the forum and can't find the answer so please forgive me if i'm repeating anything. I'm about to start the xmas decorations and want to try to do some homemade ones but not sure how I dry out orange slices. Also I know this is abit of a silly question but do I just use normal oranges.... Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lula13 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
yummyhoney
Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i think you just slice them and put tehm in the oven for a few mins,,i'm sure someone wiser will be along shortly!!
Dont cry because it's over,
Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
Jan NSD 10/10 Jan groc. challenge €169.18/€400
Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge €230/€400:rolleyes:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yummyhoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
twinkle_star
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You'll need to put the over on a very very low temperature - as low as it gets or pilot setting - or you'll end up with cooked orange slices (yummy but not what you're going for). Line the trays with greaseproof to stop the slices sticking and leave them in there for hours and hours but check them often. If they're getting cooked more than dried then take them out to cool down.

You can also do it by just putting them in warm place on tray - my mum does them over her aga but I imagine over a radiator would be ok.
I did what I always do when I am in a strange place, in dreadful circumstances, without an idea in the world of what to do next. I went to the library. --Mary Kittredge
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinkle_star For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
BexInLondon
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yep normal oranges are what you use. I slice them, sit them on kitchen roll for a couple of hours, pat them dry then sprinkle with salt and put them in the airing cupboard for a few days (turning occasionally if you remember). It helps to use a drinking straw to make little holes near one edge when they're not fully dry - this is for threading the ribbon later! Oven-drying works too I hear, though I'm a cheapskate and don't want to use the oven when time does as good a job.

They look so beautiful hung with red organza ribbon and with fairy lights twinkling through them. So far everyone (ok, everyone female and about 2 of the men) who has visited has asked where I got them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BexInLondon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
JackieO
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

These I saw in Fortnums ,three small slices in a net bag along with a small stick of cinnamon priced at £8.00.Needless to say I didn't buy any but did mine at home on kitchen top on the top of a radiator. Cost the price of a couple of oranges and some kitchen roll about 60p
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JackieO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Caterina
Old 09-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Last year I put thick-ish slices on the radiator and they dried beautifully, then I hung them on some wood branches with red ribbon and they looked really good, people commented on them when they visited!
Living a simple life in a complicated world.
September Grocery Challenge £BLOWN THE BUDGET/£300
October Grocery Challenge £30/300
NSD 0/31
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caterina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
zippychick
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Oh GOSH I'm going to have to do these! woopeeeee! Radiator all the way. Would you put them direct on the radiator or with paper in between? Silly question?
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
HariboJunkie
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Location: On the stairs picking up toys before someone breaks their neck.

To make them even prettier and nice and smelly I stud the rind of each slice with cloves all the way round before drying.
I've tried gardening, yoga, meditation and medication and I still want to scream.

Saved in 2012 £6087. Saved so far in 2013 £500.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HariboJunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
SunnyGirl
Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm going to have to do some of these too they sound great! Zippy I think that the kitchen roll will stop the oranges sticking to the radiator and make it a lot easier than cleaning it I bet that greaseproof paper would work just as well. I can't put mine on the radiators as the dogs would think I'd kindly put a free buffet out I'll stick to the airing cupboard method I think!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
sassyblue
Old 09-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for this thread l was going to ask myself because l forgot where l saw the earlier thread! Someone always beats me to it though, great minds lol....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sassyblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
zippychick
Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyblue View Post
Thanks so much for this thread l was going to ask myself because l forgot where l saw the earlier thread! Someone always beats me to it though, great minds lol....
i had visions of you talking to yourself , asking yourself how to do it

Haribo - lovin the cloves idea My Mum already thinks my orange studded with cloves is funnily cute. Wait til she sees these

Sunnygirl - great thanks! I have both. Woundn't have though doggies would eat oranges!
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bargainbird
Old 09-12-2009, 1:02 PM

Jumping on this band wagon also, airing cupboard for me too, DS and Dogs would have great fun otherwse. Mum just grabbed mine at aldi 75p for bag Haribo, where the blooming heck do i find cloves :confused:?
You know your getting old when you
go to the pub sit outside
and admire the hanging basket
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
SunnyGirl
Old 09-12-2009, 1:04 PM

Zippy One of the dogs is a Labrador so in other words is a canine dustbin I had to retrieve one of DD's epilepsy tablets from her this morning as she pounced as soon as she saw DD drop it Luckily I saw it happen as even though they're both insured it could have been deadly for her.

Edited to add: Bargainbird Cloves are in with the herbs & spices usually.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
zippychick
Old 09-12-2009, 1:08 PM

oh my word , that would have been such a disaster! EEK!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bargainbird
Old 09-12-2009, 2:03 PM

Thanks SG
You know your getting old when you
go to the pub sit outside
and admire the hanging basket
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
luxor4t
Old 09-12-2009, 2:30 PM

Last Night I noticed Homemade Kirsty had some dried whole oranges that reminded me about this but before I could start slicing, OH had peeled a couple & was eating them... so I joined in

Now I must find some more bargain oranges!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luxor4t For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
THIRZAH
Old 09-12-2009, 2:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Chatsworth House had whole dried lemons on some of their christmas trees. I have three drying in the airing cupboard suspended from the shelves in mesh bags so am hoping they'll turn out ok.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to THIRZAH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Quasar
Old 09-12-2009, 2:56 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
These I saw in Fortnums ,three small slices in a net bag along with a small stick of cinnamon priced at £8.00.Needless to say I didn't buy any but did mine at home on kitchen top on the top of a radiator. Cost the price of a couple of oranges and some kitchen roll about 60p
I'm glad I found this thread as I also want to know how these are made, so I can tell my sister who is enchanted by them.

I was in Fortnum and Mason yesterday with her, who has come to the UK to visit me for a few days. We bought a few things including a dried orange and cinnamon wreath. £47 for three items! My mum gave her/us money to spend though.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quasar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Lula13
Old 09-12-2009, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you every one...I felt the same about putting the oven on for all that time so I'll stick with the airing cupboard...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lula13 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Muddles
Old 09-12-2009, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Bargain Bird I bought a bag of Cloves from Julian Graves for about a £1 for Pomanders.

Great to hear you can dry orange slices in airing cupboard or on rads as I was put off having the oven on for hours.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muddles For This Useful Post: Show me >>