PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is wrong with my jar of honey?

Options
I bought some (rather expensive) local organic runny honey and now its started to solidify. Is there any way to get it runny again? And how do I stop it happening in the first place cos ive had other jars of honey do the same in the past?

Thanks

Comments

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    This happens to me - because I keep my honey in my larder - which is rather cold :o. It will become runny again when it comes back up in temperature. Sometimes some of the sugar crystalises a little, but it is fine to use.

Perhaps dunking the jar in a little warm water would help speed up the process? ???

Hope this helps.

Rx
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    take off the lid and pop it in the microwave for a little while or stand it in a bowl of hot water
  • ravenlooney
    Options
    Hey, thanks for that, my honey is now warm and runny again!! I keep it in the kitchen but my house if freezing so thats what wouldve done it. Thanks again!!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    glad it helped!

Rx
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • harvestmoon
    harvestmoon Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    hi - i have a jar of honey which has gone sugery - any tips on how to get it back to normal would be much appreciated.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    warm it up in a saucepan of warm/hot water

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    pop it in the micro for a very little amount of time
  • KittyBoo_2
    Options
    I have had a couple of jars of local honey in my pantry and they were clear and runny when I got them but now they have set and are hard like crystals.
    Does anyone know if I can make it runny again?
    I have stood the jar in warm water but the honey is still hard.
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • charliee_3
    Options
    i had a quick google and apprently that is good sign of its purity and that it is 'raw' honey.. you should be able to return it to liquid state by putting it in hot water for half an hour, stirring now and then.. other than that i cant find any other solutions...
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it - it happens ;) You can put the jar into the microwave for a couple of mins on low power, and it'll revert to runny.

Penny,. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family