Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Apr 06, 12:58 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,243Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Charities Board Welcome and The Rules
    • 10th Apr 06, 12:58 PM
    Charities Board Welcome and The Rules 10th Apr 06 at 12:58 PM
    Welcome to the MoneySavingExpert Charity Board

The aim of this is to do anything and everything to help charities, so that collectively others can benefit too.

Already by using this site charities are being helped as there's a substantial charities fund. Also do read the 'Charity Giving' and 'Feed The Starving At No Cost To You' articles.

I decided to start this board as a place where people looking for sponsorship or posting to help charities can do so. Previously these links were banned, but I understand the popularity. However I dont want this to be open to abuse.

To be on this board posts must obey the following rules:

1. Any links must benefit a UK registered charity. The details of the charity number and link to the website must be given.

2. Any sponsorship links must go via the legitimate online charity sponsorship sources such as Justgiving. Direct soliciting for money or sponsorship by any other method isn't permitted as it would be open to abuse.

3. Absolutely no links for personal gain may be posted..... even if the money will be split with a charity..... or even if you 'promise to give all the cash to charity'. There is no way to prove this so it will be deleted.

4. No soliciting for money for any individual will be permitted.

5. We will err on the side of caution, the last thing we want is someone scamming people here.

Now I don't want to sound draconian. This should work well, but it's to benefit genuine, legitimate, mainstream charities. Anything that deviates won't be permitted, it's simply too open to abuse.

I'm initially (April 2006) opening this board as a trial to see (fingers crossed) how it goes.

Martin

PS for posting about how to organise charities this isn't the board please see the Small Biz and Charity Organisers' Board.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-08-2008 at 3:15 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 2
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 19th May 06, 7:44 PM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,983 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I do understand what you r saying, but once again its those who need it the most that lose out!!
    by novelli
    I would recommend your committee doing a 'cost/benefit' analysis of registering as a charity. Yes, there are cost implications, BUT you are wrong when you say there is no benefit. The main one is that any UK taxpayers who give money to your organisation could Gift Aid their donations. That could well cover those costs - especially when the Gift Aid toolkit makes it so easy to get that message across, even on things like sponsor forms! I quote:

"Use Gift Aid and you can make your donation worth more. For every pound you give to us, we get an extra 28 pence from HMRC. So just tick here. It’s that simple."

If anyone thinks for one second that ALL registered charities play by the rules and are never ever dodgy, then u are very sadley mistaken.
    by novelli
    No-one's ever said that. The difference is that there is one single body who concerns themselves with the regulation of charities - the Charity Commission - and no such body for NFPs of other kinds. I have no doubt that your NFP is well governed and that everything is totally above board. But if in the future someone had concerns about the actions of your committee, who could they take those concerns to?

Please don't imagine either that all charities do have paid staff and that all NFPs operate without any paid staff. In some cases it is more cost-effective to pay someone to do a particular job than to rely on volunteers, and there is nothing wrong with that. 'Horses for courses', as they say. The small charity I work for couldn't function without volunteers who give a great deal of time (and money, helpfully supplemented by Gift Aid!) but it wouldn't function well with a small paid staff.

I hope no-one thinks I'm trying to argue with you about this: I know where you're coming from because I've helped run an NFP which struggled to raise funds and was excluded from some grant awards because we weren't a charity. We had our reasons for staying NFP. And your cost/benefit analysis may conclude that now is not the time to go down that path. But perhaps the decision should be reviewed regularly, because it's not an open-and-shut forever-and-a-day kind of decision.

There are some stickies on the Small Biz & Charity Organisers board which may help your thinking!

Good luck!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • mightymole
    • By mightymole 18th Oct 06, 10:45 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    mightymole
    question: i am a member of admin of a voluntary online support group(members worldwide) for add/adhd which isn't a reg charity but is legite we run entirly on donations would that qualify or not?

am prepared to give the link but not till got permission or admin ask for it

thanks
  • pomegranate
    Please do say if this isn't appropriate for this 'Board'. Has anyone any information - perhaps it's already on the site somewhere and I haven't spotted it - about which charities have very low overheads and which don't? I was very shocked to see some job adverts for senior staff of charities offering huge salaries; quite honestly I don't want my money going to fat cats, but to the people/causes who are in need. Are there lists anywhere of charities that convert a high proportion of their income to good works? If not, does anyone know how to find out?
  • GiveItBack
    hi Pom

if it's salaries and overheads that you're worried about then you can find out this and a lot more besides at http://www.intelligentgiving.com/

I should add, although you'll see it on the site, that judging a charity simply by the wages and overheads isn't the best way.

For example, think of Cancer Research UK, the UK's biggest charity. The highest salary there is over £200,000, but then the charity has an income of £384MILLION. That's bigger than a lot of well known companies.

How much would you expect to pay the person that contols this organisation? Whoever is at the helm of a £300m company will be earning a lot more. You can't pay comparable salaries, but you need to make sure that the people doing the tops jobs have the skills to do it.
    i'll post some more lnks later, and maybe move this topic to a new thread tomorrow.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Nov 06, 8:51 AM
    • 59,102 Posts
    • 41,884 Thanks
    soolin
    question: i am a member of admin of a voluntary online support group(members worldwide) for add/adhd which isn't a reg charity but is legite we run entirly on donations would that qualify or not?

am prepared to give the link but not till got permission or admin ask for it

thanks
    by mightymole
    The terms of this board are that posts must be for a registered charity. If you want to post something that does not fulfil these guidelines then can I please refer you to the moderating team, just click on the red triangle on any post.

Thank you

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • davepitchford
    Thanks for the intelligentgiving.com mention. I'd like to make three small clarifications:

Although we do mention salaries and admin costs etc, our headline figures is the transparency of charities. This is more important than most of the financial figures: it indicates how professionally the organisation is run and how confident it is in its work. It is the figure we return to again and again.

As for the Cancer Research UK top salary - absolutely agreed - you often need top salaries for top posts (even though £225m Oxfam gets away with paying its workaholic boss £87k).

CRUK's £384m is only the size of a smallish company. We spent a long time looking for household name companies with a similar turnover and we simply couldn't find any - they're all up in the billions!

:rolleyes: Dave Pitchford, Managing Editor
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 7th Jun 08, 8:45 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    ahai1
    I have seen that some people are posting none free links as well as things like contacting the Secretary of State in the sticky.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 24th Nov 08, 6:24 PM
    • 5,685 Posts
    • 39,211 Thanks
    Caterina
    Hi all

I work for a charity that supports pregnant women in prison and we are now on the Big Ask, if people donate online they will match fund the money - can I please put the details here without breaking any rules? And having done so can I say in other threads that I have done so and point them here? Thanks

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 24th Nov 08, 10:24 PM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,983 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    that seems OK, having re-read the first post. Start a separate thread, I think.
    Still knitting!
  • MadCatLady
    Trying to post in this forum..
    ...hello I am trying to post a link for our non-profit animal rescue organisation... why can i not?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Aug 09, 9:27 AM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,983 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    1. Because new users are not allowed to post links. You have to make a certain number of posts before you can do this. Sadly the forum had to do this to reduce the amount of horrific spam links being posted.

2. Even when you do have the requisite number of posts, be aware that on this board, links are only allowed to registered charities. It's not enough just to be non-profit. If you've read the first few posts on this thread I hope you'll understand why.

Any queries about either of those policies to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting!
  • mumOf2wonderfulkids
    hello, i was wandering if i could get some advice before posting anything (i dont want to get into trouble!) OH and I have decided to do a skydive for charity for his 30th birthday & wedding anniversary (we got married on his birthday) we will be doing it for SANDS (stillbirth and neonatal death society) Charity registration number 299679
    i will also be setting up a justgiving page once we have confirmation of the date, we are aiming to do it on his birthday, once it is all set up, can i put the link in my signature and can the info only be posted on this charity board? i use lots of the boards so dont want to ''spam''
    Can you see the mountains through the fog?
  • kabie
    I'd like to put a link to our group on the "Kerrygold community awards" website, so that people can vote for us.
    We're not a registered charity though, just a group of autistic people that have set up a group, I suppose you'd call us a community group (non profit and all volunteers).
    Is this allowed somewhere on MSE : I read the rules and I don't think it's allowed in this section?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Aug 10, 8:47 PM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,983 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Hi kabbie, I'm afraid it's not allowed in this section where such things are limited to registered charities.

However, you probably could post it here.
    Still knitting!
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 17th Oct 10, 8:56 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 271,559 Thanks
    jaibaby
    Hi, can you help me too please?

I volunteer for a PSA of a school. We are a registered charity (1085261). We have 68 pupils in total, 56 mainstream and 12 ASD pupils. Our ASD centre is the only one in this area.

We struggle each year to bring in donations for fundraising due to being such a small school of under 70 pupils. Can I post anywhere a request for donations? I don't want to get in trouble
    2017 wins: £1971.89 / £2017

Jan: Makeup hamper, £1000 Thomas Cook voucher, LoveHearts air freshener. Feb: Razor. March: Batman T-shirt, Fold-n-go 5-in-1 trike. April: Moana film, £5 Mcdonalds Monopoly May:Minion Sunglasses June:Squishy Minion toy, Roberts Radio July:Squishy Minion toy
    August:Minion card game, £100 cheque September:iPad 9.7, Picnic Hamper

50 Challenges for 50 Compers in 2017: member no. 17 - 33/50

Thanks to all posters
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 9th Dec 11, 1:22 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Very interested in this board and can I make a point to the moderators. We are setting up an organisation to try to keep open the day care centres for adults with learning difficulties, Lincolnshire CC is closing about 30 next year. If we set up a charity there will be huge, many thousands of £ set up and auditing costs so we are considering a Social Enterprise instead, can these, which have to be not for profit, be included?
    • satchmo1
    • By satchmo1 2nd Dec 12, 11:58 AM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 12,324 Thanks
    satchmo1
    In the true spirit of Christmas, have a look at World Vision's Advent Calendar which brings you daily photos and stories on the theme of “Mother & Child” and prayer requests. Why not share it with your friends and family: www.worldvision.org.uk/advent
    World Vision UK is a registered charity no: 285908
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

2,684Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin