Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    waveydave79
    My Evans Halshaw Nightmare
    • 28th Apr 09, 4:10 PM
    My Evans Halshaw Nightmare 28th Apr 09 at 4:10 PM
    Last year me and my partner decided it was time for a newer car. we purchased an Astra, which to this day is a nice car, however weve had a few minor niggles which needed ironing out.

2 months after the purchase the Engine light came on, and after investigation the transponder on the key stopped working. After speaking with the garage in January, we were told I had to try the other key, however the VX warrenty was near an end.

This fault was very intermitant and it only happened 2 times every month, so it took a while to see if it was the car or key. Under Evans Halshaw advise I took it in today, now under the extended warrenty to recieve a shock -

They now wanted me to pay them £50 for daigs + £73 pounds to get the CIM Module reprogrammed, It turns out the CIM is covered, but reprogramming it does not. There diagnostics require me to pay this as they do not know if the part is faulty.

I tried to riase the point that I had reported the fault as close to the end of VX warrenty as possible, the service manager there was not interested and explained the repogramming wasnt covered. 2nd point if its nessescary to reprogram the CIM before replacing it for diagnostic purposes- I think it is unfair I should cover the costs.

After reasoning with the Service manager, I managed to get alittle money off, but they still want £80, I agreed to that, Oh and it gets better - they couldnt do it today becuase there reprogramming machine (tech2) had just broke.

It amazes me of thier lack of customer service and understanding, surely if its nessescary to update software in order to diagnose the program, surely this should not be down to the customer. Another way of looking at it, was also that car was sold to me with the old firmware on it, the problem existed just wasnt happening often enough to show itself until too late.

let this be a warning to anyone buying from Evans Halshaw, I would have not taken out the warrenty if I knew I had to jump through these loops.

My father also has told me to seek legal advise, however they seem to have all the terms well laid out in the warrenty paperwork, the only possible way of doing it may be proving they dragged it out so the VX warrenty ended. I really do dread any futher dealing with this garage, and I am not looking forward to going back on thusday (when there machine is back up).
Page 1
  • Sirbendy
    • 28th Apr 09, 4:18 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 4:18 PM
    The tech2 usually costs - I'm moving to a second-hand vauxhall that's tech2 compatible, that has 2 warnings lit up - 1 airbag system, 1 engine diags. I'm getting it sorted pre-payment, but then I'm going to (I think) purchase a £30ish "tech2" clone to read and reset the faults myself.
  • Lemonade Pockets
    • 28th Apr 09, 6:03 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 6:03 PM
    A few things that you could try:

1) Speak to the dealer principle, explain the story etc etc see what he/she says.
    2) Speak to EH head office, the dealership won't give you the number but if you google pendragon and loxely house Nottingham you should find it pdq.
    3) Speak to vauxhall CS and see what they say - point out that you bought a vauxhall because you'd heard they were reliable and had a good dealer network, you feel you have been let down etc..
    4) Speak to Auto protect - the people that provide the aftermarket warranty and just check out their story.
    Just make a fuss and they will probably back down eventually.

Or save a load of hassle take it on the chin and pay up.
  • waveydave79
    • 29th Apr 09, 1:57 AM
    • 29th Apr 09, 1:57 AM
    ok, thanks Ive had some time to think about it. I have the number for thier head office thanks to Lemonade. I will be speaking with them tommorow and explaining the situation. Failing this I will send them a letter.

What annoys me the most is.. VX have put up their hands and said there is issues if there are updates available. Why should I have to pay for them? I work in a customer service background myself and if we charged customers to update thier computers BIOS we would go out of businuess. In addition to this, I am so annoyed that I have to put in order for them to diagnose a potential hardware fault, of an item which is covered by the warrenty.

Will see if they budge tommorow I intend to cuase or much hassle as possible.
  • asbokid
    • 29th Apr 09, 2:44 AM
    • 29th Apr 09, 2:44 AM
    i would do as sirbendy says and buy a code scanner and do the job yourself... if you actually like the vauxhall and you intend to keep it, you will probably make good use of the tool over your period of ownership of the vehicle. it's never a bad thing to know what diagnostic codes are being thrown by the ECU before you take the car in for a service..

you're in a good position to argue that "i don't believe it needed that £120 lambda sensor you just fitted. thanks all the same!"
  • Sirbendy
    • 29th Apr 09, 10:53 AM
    • 29th Apr 09, 10:53 AM
    indeedy. My old Vauxhall had a pre-tech2 diagnostic system that you could interrogate with a paperclip (seriously, it would flash a code using the diag light that you could look up). However, it doesn't work on newer ones.
    • Tao81
    • By Tao81 3rd May 09, 11:34 AM
    • 636 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Tao81
    • 3rd May 09, 11:34 AM
    • 3rd May 09, 11:34 AM
    Whats CIM module, transponder on key and tech 2. What models does this relate to, as I'm thinking of buying a s/h astra 1.6i club 2001?!:confused: Will this stuff potentially affect me if I do?
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Sirbendy
    • 3rd May 09, 12:12 PM
    • 3rd May 09, 12:12 PM
    How long is a peice of string? Basically...we can't predict that. Things go wrong sometimes.

I've just bought (for £1995) an X plate 2000 Astra 1.6i Club Automatic with 54,000 miles on it. Nice car. took it for it's first long run yesterday, found that it appears to have a jammed thermostat. Then coming home I had the engine warning light come on.

It has A 30 day warranty, so I'm going to get in touch with them and say "fix it, and give it a new timing belt at the same point, I'll pay for that as it has to come off anyway" - I'm not too bothered, as the timing belt on my old one I had done at 88,000...and having it done now won't hurt. It'll give me some peace of mind too. Whoever at Vauxhall thought that putting the thermostat behind the timing belt was clever deserves a slap. :rolleyes:

As to the engine lamp - here's a trick I tried that works. Turn the car off, press down on the accelerator and brake together, turn it back on to position 2 (NOT start it).

The engine management (spanner) lamp will flash out a code..10 flashes is a "0", any other number is the next digit..for example, mine is doing 10, pause, 4, pause, 10, pause, 10, or 0400.

There are lookup codes on sites such as topbuzz.co.uk that you cross reference these against to find the fault. P0400 on mine is the EGR valve, which is both known to Vauxhall, common on the 8 valves, and easy to fix.

A transponder is the remote key that does your central locking and immobiliser. Sometimes they come out of sync, it's all detailed as to how to sort it in the manual. The immobiliser chips are usually no hassle, I've had 2 now with no issue.

Tech2 is the Vauxhall computer system that can read the inbuilt computers in the car and tell the garage what is wrong, and how to sort it.

And the CIM...quoth another site:

"The CIM unit is a module which controls a lot of the electronics in the cabin (indicators & airbags to name but two) and is located in or near the steering column"

Welcome to the computer age, heh. God help us all. It's not just Vauxhall, ALL cars are now going more and more computer controlled. All are are complex as each other now, and as likely to go poof on occasions. All vauxhalls have a similar level of technology now. My old Astra (a 1997 mk3) was far more basic, and never went wrong. This one, we'll see.

I'm a computer tech by trade anyway, so I'm fairly comfortable with the electronics..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 03-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.
  • mrdee0
    • 10th May 09, 8:36 PM
    • 10th May 09, 8:36 PM
    I bought my corsa from evans halshaw (vauxhall warranty ends June 2009) and i tried to get them to look at my car three times telling them my car was pulling a lot to one side. They kept telling me the alighment on the rear is not adjustable and i should take it to vauxhall to have a look!
    Well after much stress and worry and not using the car for fear of crashing i sought help of a local garage who found the rear beam slightly bent from must have been before i got the car. Got it replaced for £380 and now runs fine.
    Evans halshaw customer service was so terrible-no friendlyness at all-sometimes rude and ignorant-and most importantly not ready to listen to problems.
    Well thats the last time i EVER buy from them and have advised every single friend and relative i can get hold of to warn them to not buy from them. I will be sending a letter of complaint to them as well.
  • moonkee
    I hate Evans Halshaw too. Truly awful customer service and they over-charge massively on the maintenance. Will never use again.
  • fazer600
    Evans Halshaw
    I would never use Evan Halshaw again they are a waist of space, i brought a 59 plate corsa with less than 10000 mile on the clock for £7113 which has had more problems in the first month than my 04 plate VW had in 6 yrs
    >They never get back to you.
    >They lied about it being booked in and that there wasn't a curtesy car which i now have after complaining.
    >I told them the waterpump had gone, they had the car for 3 days used up all the petrol then told me there was nothing wrong and when i took it back after a mile all of a sudden the waterpump had gone so they didn't even check it
    >The radio cuts out.
    >The gears jump out.
    >The petrol gauge stick
    >When i take my foot off the throttle it still rev'ed high.
    >It's taken nearly 2 weeks just for them to pick it up.
  • mpambire
    Evans Halshaw cars "keep away from these dealerships"
    I bought the Audi A4 1.8T for £5100 (9 years old) all in, and flew from London to Glasgow (East Kibride)to pick it and drive it back to London. I thought I would have no immediate issues with the car as I was buying it from a reputable dealership (so I thought Evans Halshaw were) who have done adquate pre-sales inspections for non- mechanic customers but things quickly turned bad ….really bad!!!!.

1.On the way from Glasgow to London, the car broke down in the first 50 miles took the car back to the dealership for inspection (a 100miles round trip). It turns up the mechanics had taken off the wheels for some reason and did not replace the front left properly so it was vibrating.

2. Next day while handwashing the car, noticed most panels were corroded from inside out.

3. an now an oil leak Audi informs had been seeping for months but not mentioned in the car service report they did 2/3 months earlier. Spend £250 at Audi on it but still there. Plus the car is corroded beyond repair on the underside. They must have known this but still sold me the car. Am not using the car and am persuing the case with Office of fair trading.

Any advice from anyone out there?

To all those contemplating buying a new or used car, my advice to you is to keep off Evans Halshaw forecourts. You cannot be sure for certain what you are buying!!!

FJM
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Feb 13, 7:33 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    worried jim
    Wow- a four year old thread, is this a record resurrection?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Feb 13, 8:50 PM
    • 26,043 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Nah, There are some from 2005 still going strong
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • Dragon88
    Evans Halshaw Nightmare!!
    Awful after sales service. Will never buy another car from this dealership. Once they have your money they don't want to know. Bought a lovely car with promised full service history. Stupidly didn't check I had everything before leaving the premises. Realised I didn't have the service history book, after a month of phoning and emailing I finally got a response saying it was never advertised as having full history case closed. Despite the sales guy Richy promising it did and going into great detail how you require it to access the manufacturers warranty. So after paying top money for this car cant use the warranty or have no clue when it was last serviced. Despite their policy to service a car if it has less than three months left on it they are unwilling to provide this service because they cant prove that it hasn't but they cant prove it has either :/
    After having a rather annoying discussion with the sales guy I was hung up on and told case closed. Phoned his manager who has promised to service it and try and track the service documents since the car was previously owned by Pendragon which is part of Evans Halshaw. This is a month and half later after purchasing the car. If he delivers this promise I will update this review.
    Note to prospective buyers check you have everything before you leave and don't take their word for anything. And avoid Richy like the plague most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with. Ignoring you does not make the situation go away.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 12th May 14, 6:41 PM
    • 6,463 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Awful after sales service. Will never buy another car from this dealership. Once they have your money they don't want to know. Bought a lovely car with promised full service history. Stupidly didn't check I had everything before leaving the premises. Realised I didn't have the service history book, after a month of phoning and emailing I finally got a response saying it was never advertised as having full history case closed. Despite the sales guy Richy promising it did and going into great detail how you require it to access the manufacturers warranty. So after paying top money for this car cant use the warranty or have no clue when it was last serviced. Despite their policy to service a car if it has less than three months left on it they are unwilling to provide this service because they cant prove that it hasn't but they cant prove it has either :/
    After having a rather annoying discussion with the sales guy I was hung up on and told case closed. Phoned his manager who has promised to service it and try and track the service documents since the car was previously owned by Pendragon which is part of Evans Halshaw. This is a month and half later after purchasing the car. If he delivers this promise I will update this review.
    Note to prospective buyers check you have everything before you leave and don't take their word for anything. And avoid Richy like the plague most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with. Ignoring you does not make the situation go away.
    Originally posted by Dragon88
    classic case of I did all the complaining from my telephone and computer.
    Do you have the advertisement?

Do you have it in writing that the car was sold with a service history or that it was serviced by them prior to sale?

Physical letters help more than a phone call complaint or emails. or by going in and speaking with them.

you have the previous owners address and such i assume from the V5C you could do some digging to see if they still have it direct with them, or you could call the manufacturer or local dealership give them your VIN and REG and see if its on their database and ask EH to pay for a copy or pay yourself.
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
  • SidF
    I had a similar poor experience to others above with the Cardiff Newport Road dealer. I bought an ex demo Focus, 2500 miles. Went back to Cardiff to collect it and they had only one key. They had tried to programme another using an outside vendor and failed. The one key they had had a flat battery when tried to drive the car away. The parking sensors they had fitted were far too sensitive and picked up changes of slope of the road. The car had been collected to two mobile phones while a demonstrator and they were still on there, one called "Fxxx Off, I'm busy"!. The tax disc holder they fitted shrivelled up and fell off the windscreen. I had to make another 80 mile round trip to Cardiff to get another key programmed. I wrote recorded delivery asking for compensation for the time and cost of the journey and they signed for the letter but never got back to me. I sent a letter to the COO of Pendragon and got one back saying someone would contact me but they never did. Finally I rang the Evans Halshaw 03333 customer number and when I did this for the second time they put me on to someone who will resolve the problem. The car is fine, a very nice vehicle. but their customer service is hopeless and they don't seem to learn from all the problems they have.
  • scottyboy2k
    Never again
    My wife and I purchased a VW Beetle from Evans Halshaw in Stourbridge last summer at the end of my wife's maternity leave, we needed a safe/reliable car for my wife to commute to work and take our son to/from nursery. After finding a car that appeared to tick the boxes (low mileage, reasonable price - after a bit of haggling, reasonable specification) we went to see the dealership.
    Car was average condition for paintwork, with the usual scratches and touch up jobs on the paintwork. I noticed that there was some white scumming on the oil cap, on asking if the car would have an oil change, the dealership flatly refused saying that it wasn't due as per the service book, it wasn't warranted. “Only items that are due for replacement or service will be covered”. I had heard, but couldn't personally find evidence to submit, that VW had changed their policy on timing belt changes. The new policy was 60k mileage or every 4 years, in this case it was due for 4 years or more replacement. I asked the dealer to check, who confirmed that they did not recognise this requirement. Funny, as every other garage and small independent that I have spoken to since have said it was, and one even showed me the workshop software used saying there was no way it could have been misinterpreted.
    Despite this, and having connections in the motor parts trade, we purchased the car for cash. I can do some things myself and have a great local garage for the more complicated jobs. There was absolutely no discussion on price, non-negotiable. A car sales company that doesn't do deals on cars...
    On the day of collection I noticed that the oil filler cap was clean, so to my error assumed they had changed the oil. No, realising that it didn't look right, I can only assume by the evidence in hand that they just covered it up by cleaning the cap. After a visit to my local garage, I was informed the oil was so old, I was told that it had gone "all soapy" and had to have the engine de-gunked from within.
    Now you might ask why would you buy the car if you weren’t happy? Knowing that the car was sold with a warranty, I wasn't overly concerned, given the assurances on after care, I felt comfortable that we would have any major issues covered. Well, one week into driving the car the passenger window would disappear into the door. Its okay I thought, it's covered. So we called the dealership, initially they claimed that my wife had test driven the car and appeared happy with the windows. Firstly, they became faulty once the car became ours and secondly, my wife was bemused as to why she’d test drive windows. I had assurances on several occasions that someone from the service department would call back. They didn't. We entered winter, were both busy with our first baby and got fed up trying to chase something we were entitled to, so left it.
    So to top it all off, on servicing the car (as EH wouldn't), our local garage who ARE thorough, called to say that the spare tyre had a huge nail in it and was unusable. Good job my wife didn't have a breakdown with my son in the car! I refuse to believe that a garage that makes claims to safety check cars before sale, would have missed and not known of such a problem.
    This all happened last summer. Why the delay in writing this review? I just found out that following the purchase, as my wife HADN'T left a review. The sale guy who sold us the car had phoned and was quite disgruntled why she hadn't left a review!! She had told him she was surprised he’d want her review. She has worked for leading car dealerships in the past and was amazed that any dealership would treat customers in this way. I think the above speaks for itself. I am sure that EH have happy customers, we aren't. I didn't expect this behaviour from a company the size of EH, needless to say, we won't be using them again.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 18th Jul 15, 8:18 AM
    • 13,121 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    arcon5
    £2k for a 15yr old astra

LOL
    They saw you coming!
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 18th Jul 15, 8:25 AM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,626 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    £2k for a 15yr old astra

LOL
    They saw you coming!
    Originally posted by arcon5
    It was only an 8 - 9 year old Astra when he bought it / posted about it though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

11Posts Today

4,679Users online

Martin's Twitter