Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Has anyone heard of Freehold Managers Ltd? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Has anyone heard of Freehold Managers Ltd?
Closed Thread
Views: 27,388
# 1
ispartacus75
Old 28-02-2006, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Has anyone heard of Freehold Managers Ltd?

My wife bought our house approx 9 1/2 years ago as a freehold property.

Since then every year we have had a letter from a company called Freehold Managers Ltd demanding 4.00 Chief Rent. We have spoken to them before and they told us that although the house is freehold that land that its on isnt.

The have offered us the option to buy the Chief Rent for 2240. As it has been such a small amount up to now my wife has just paid the 4.00 per year, but Im getting a bit sick of it.

As I have never bought a house before (my wife bought it before I met her) I dont really know whether something like this is common or not.

Does anyone have any comments or advice?

Thanks in advance

Paul
# 2
J P S
Old 28-02-2006, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I hought the idea of buying freehold meant you owned the land and no rent, ive never heard of this before though.

im sure someone with more knowledge will post soon.

if its 4 a year, 2240 makes 560 years rent, why would anyone buy that?
# 3
Edna_Bucket
Old 28-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would agree with JPS on what "freehold" means. I've never heard of the term Chief Rent - which isn't to say it doesn't exist.

If these people had a case, surely it would have been detailed in the legal paperwork when you bought? You should go back and check that.

You could also check ownership with the Land Registry - it'll cost you 2, but you can check for sure here on the ownership:

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/

There are only two companies listed by Companies House with similar names to these people:

FREEHOLD MANAGERS (NOMINEES) LIMITED
MOUNT MANOR HOUSE
16 THE MOUNT
GUILDFORD
SURREY GU2 4HS

and:

FREEHOLD MANAGERS PLC
LYNWOOD HOUSE
10 VICTORS WAY
BARNET
EN5 5TZ

If it is the latter, there is more info on them here:

http://www.solitairegroup.com/more.asp

Is it either of these? If not, it is sounding very dodgy indeed

Last edited by Edna_Bucket; 28-02-2006 at 11:08 AM.
# 4
mystic_trev
Old 28-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hope this explains it to you all - and yes you have to pay it!

Chief rent

This is a small sum of money in rent payable by the owner of a freehold property to the Lord of the Manor (yes, really!). In the past Chief Rent was payable indefinitely but may now be redeemed by a lump sum payment.

It"s similar to the ground rent payable by a leaseholder
The Following User Says Thank You to mystic_trev For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Edna_Bucket
Old 28-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Sorry - Chief Rent does exist!

I've now found a couple of definitions of it:

Quote:
CHIEF RENT
Similar to 'ground rent'. It refers to the payment of a small sum of money in rent payable by the owner of a freehold property to the Lord of the Manor. Chief Rent was payable indefinitely but may nowadays be redeemed by a lump sum payment.
and:

Quote:
Chief Rent
An Annual charge on a Freehold property founding certain parts of the United Kingdom. The freeholder pays the chief rent forever although the amount cannot be changed or increased.
The only good thing is that if these people are legitimate, they can't raise it from your 4 it seems!

I'd still refer to my earlier point and check the legal details of the purchase. I'd also ask neighbours - from the definition it would seem that these rents are likely to occur on former estates that were built on. If that were the case you would for example expect everyone in your street to be paying it.

A remnant of the English class system by the look of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Edna_Bucket For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ispartacus75
Old 28-02-2006, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

the paperwork is from the surrey company though payment has to be made to a London PO Box.

I do remember something about 4 of the neighbors having to pay chief rent, but neighbors of the other side (mid-terraced property) dont.

I will have to see if we can get a look at the legal papers. As I stated earlier my wife bought the property before I met her so I had nothing to do with the original purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to ispartacus75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
gerryfitz
Old 21-04-2007, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I am trying to trace Freehold Managers PLC who have an address of
PO Box 2098,
London,
SE1 1WY

They hold the lease for the Ground Rent for my daughters flat. We know there must be a payment due, but despite writing to them to ask for an update on the situation, she has heard nothing from them.

I have telephoned the company trading as Freehold Managers PLC at the Barnet address and they say they have no connection with that PO Box address and it is not their firm?

Did anyone find a way of contacting the firm at the SE1 address?

As an ancillary question, how does she stand if this firm suddenly appears out of the woodwork saying she is in arrears etc. ,and claiming interest etc.?
The Following User Says Thank You to gerryfitz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
GOP
Old 03-05-2007, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Freehold Managers PLC

Hi

Following recent changes to property and landlord and tenant acts they must serve notice to your daughter in a prescribed manner in order to collect their ground rent. This includes the address of the Landlord as required by Section 48 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1987.

The registered address of Freehold Managers PLC is:

FREEHOLD MANAGERS PLC
LYNWOOD HOUSE
10 VICTORS WAY
BARNET
EN5 5TZ

I suggest you write by registered post addressed to the Company Secretary and ask them for the details in order to pay the ground rent. However, given their internet track record it seems that they are not likely to respond........

Therefore you should be able to check the terms of the lease to see what the ground rent amount is and when it should be paid. Regardless of the terms in the lease, following recent changes in legislation it must be demanded in the correct form. Failure by the landlord to demand it in the prescribed format means you do not have to pay it until they demand it correctly. However, they'll possibly just claim they sent it and you didn't respond......and send you another one with a late payment charge.

The change in law came about because dodgy landlords didn't bother to send out demands and then demanded the ground rent with late payments charges to bump up their earnings from their portfolio's. Strangely enough, the practice seems to have continued reading various forums.......
The Following User Says Thank You to GOP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
perigee
Old 04-07-2007, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Chief rents and lease payments

Chief rents are an anachronism, left over from time immemorial. There is a procedure from buying them out through some Government agency, can't remember which one. I believe you pay about 10 times the rent and the owner has to accept it.

As far as lease rent payments are concerned, the law has changed and has been tightened up in favour of the lessee. Now a rent has to be demanded and it is no excuse on the part of the landlord to say that it got lost in the post. Check with neighbours - assuming they are lessees as well - and see whether they got a demand. I believe that you don't have to pay if rent isn't demanded - but PLS CHECK, because I'm not a lawyer
The Following User Says Thank You to perigee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
McKenzie
Old 25-07-2007, 10:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispartacus75 View Post
My wife bought our house approx 9 1/2 years ago as a freehold property.

Since then every year we have had a letter from a company called Freehold Managers Ltd demanding 4.00 Chief Rent. We have spoken to them before and they told us that although the house is freehold that land that its on isnt.

The have offered us the option to buy the Chief Rent for 2240. As it has been such a small amount up to now my wife has just paid the 4.00 per year, but Im getting a bit sick of it.

As I have never bought a house before (my wife bought it before I met her) I dont really know whether something like this is common or not.

Does anyone have any comments or advice?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Review of Freehold Managers Plc - see below link

http://www.touchguildford.com/busine...247737#reviews
The Following User Says Thank You to McKenzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
McKenzie
Old 25-07-2007, 10:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Tracking down Freehold Managers PLC

If you are trying to trace Freehold Managers Plc - see below

http://www.touchguildford.com/busine...247737#reviews
The Following User Says Thank You to McKenzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
aah
Old 12-10-2007, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

try this one:

http://www.freeholdmanagers.co.uk/

They are either the landlords of my leasehold flat or the agents for the landlord. Getting information out of them is a nightmare.

I am trying to buy the freehold which they are apparently prepared to sell. My GR is 50 and I guess it would be the same for the other. On your extrapolation it would appear that they would want 60k for the freehold of my (two flat) building. They can sing for it. And I will make sure that I get the right to manage the lease.

A.
The Following User Says Thank You to aah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
KMW1976
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Freehold Managers PLC

I received a letter from them saying we owe ground rent on our property and are in arrears for the last 8 years! We have only owned the property for 2 and have paid the ground rent for both years!
We are contacting our solicitor as we have never heard of this company and it seems odd that we have been paying the ground rent to the person who was the leaseholder (named by the solicitors) when we bought the property.
Weird. I think they must be con artists as we have been in the property over 2 years and have never heard anything from them. In all the searches etc done when the house was purchased their name never came up - but now they are saying they have owned the leasehold since 2000????

Very odd.... I will repost and let you all know what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to KMW1976 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
eskimofisherman
Old 17-06-2008, 10:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Freehold Managers are a nightmare. !!!

They are very difficult to get hold of via the telephone - having limited "opening hours", are quick to add charges to invoices unreasonably and are damned rude if you manage to get through to anyone. They also charge way over the odds for things like buildings insurance - and they'll charge a fortune per letter if you contest them with anything.
They'll also write to everyone, regardless of whether you have a management company or not - and charge everyone for the letters.

I beleive the PO Box and limited opening hours is because they get nothing but grief all day from their "customers", and to prevent them getting physically abused.
The Following User Says Thank You to eskimofisherman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Richard Webster
Old 18-06-2008, 9:04 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just to be clear you can have a chief rent or rent charge on a freehold property - they are quite common in a few parts of the country. They are not to be confused with leasehold ground rents.
RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Webster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
jimc
Old 18-06-2008, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Webster View Post
you can have a chief rent or rent charge on a freehold property - they are quite common in a few parts of the country.
Chief Rents are common near us in Cheshire/South Manchester. Most people I know just don't bother paying them! I believe they are often sold as a 'job-lot' to other chancers who make a couple of tries to claim back-payments and then give up.

I believe it is possible to remove this anachronism more easily nowadays by making a single relatively modest payment, but how do we go about it?
The Following User Says Thank You to jimc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
angela morahan
Old 22-08-2008, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default freehold managers plc

tel number for freehold managers plc po box 2098 is
020 7940 4760 fax no 020 7940 5674 they are extremely rude and unhelpful. They have just more than doubled my insurance and couldn`t care less- all they say is that the property was previously not covered for enough - tough.
best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to angela morahan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Marypoppins1
Old 22-09-2008, 3:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Freehold managers

I too unfortunately have to deal with Freehold management properties. Just had new buildings insurance in which has gone up. Also threatening paragraph stating if it is not paid within 14 days it will be passed to the legal department for further action Charming
The Following User Says Thank You to Marypoppins1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
mstar
Old 01-07-2009, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

freehold managers are notorious for putting up what they see fair increases in insurance. But what makes me mad is their attitude and there lack of understanding of landlord problems.

surely there is a regulation as part of this for dodgy "PO BOX" companies like these?
The Following User Says Thank You to mstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bamborover
Old 24-07-2009, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Don't be fooled. Freeholder Managers are nasty, nasty evil people. They do not think like you or I do. The word "sharks" applies. But like all bullies, they back down if you stand up for your legal rights.
The Following User Says Thank You to bamborover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread