Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > how much does tesco pay its staff? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how much does tesco pay its staff?
Closed Thread
Views: 96,524
# 1
shelovestobuystuff
Old 10-01-2009, 2:23 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default how much does tesco pay its staff?

Making a little extra money just isnt enough for me.I have a little business which is treading water at the moment basically,I was spend neutral(well 90%) for xmas via cashback etc and its not making a big enough difference so I need to get a real job too .I would love to work in tesco as I do my grocery shop there and I would eventually get a % off my shopping.
Does anyone know how much tesco customer assistants get paid and if they pay a bonus for working nights like asda do?
"Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
# 2
Jo_F
Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It depends on the type of store, if it's a Tesco Express (the little ones) then they are on less money than the main stores. I am not sure of the figures, but my mil works for them, and she doesn't want to transfer to an Express cos it mean less money, they also apparently do a 5 out of 7 contract, so you can't opt out of weekend. Also she mentioned last week that they are changing the way they do bank holidays, and that bank holidays will become part of a normal week, classed as a normal working day and so no extra pay for them.

I think the wage is roughly the same as Asda.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jo_F For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
partygirl18
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

hey
i work for tesco and am on 5.80 an hour but when i turn 18 it goes up to nearly 8 an hour. you get time and half if you work past 10 in the evenings.
many people at the store were i work only do monday - friday so it is possible to opt out of workin weekends.
you have to wait until you have worked there 6 months before u get a privilege card which gives u 10% off your shoppin
hope this helps
x
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to partygirl18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dodo_man
Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Night pay for a customer assistant is around 7.50 an hour a starting rate, Most staff are on a fixed hours contract but it is unlikely to be get saturday's off.

Bank holidays are still optional but there is no benefit to not working bank holiday as you recieve time and a half plus time back in lieu

Staff discount has recently been introduced to after 6 months not 12 and is 10%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodo_man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dodo_man
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl18 View Post
i work for tesco and am on 5.80 an hour but when i turn 18 it goes up to nearly 8 an hour. you get time and half if you work past 10 in the evenings.
Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid night premium is around 1.50 between 2200 and 0000 and 2 between 0000 and 0600

A fully established night worker who works sat and sun (extra premiums for hours that land on a sunday) gets an average of 8.50 an hour

Quote:
many people at the store were i work only do monday - friday so it is possible to opt out of workin weekends.
were not likely to take on any non weekend workers in the current financial climate

ps im a tesco night manager
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dodo_man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
partygirl18
Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

dodo_man Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid

i was only telling u what happens in the store where i work and as previously been pointed out it varies between stores.
# 7
shelovestobuystuff
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Thats much better than I though.My neighbour works as a tesco customer services assistant so if I have a word with her she may be able to tell me if theres anything suitable at my local stores. Wish I had done this a long time ago.
"Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
# 8
dodo_man
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

yes pay and terms and conditions can be very slightly different depending on the store format, express and metro being the most likely to pay less and require non fixed hours, superstores and extras all pay almost the same there is a location pay for some areas like inside the m25. there may be a few other reasons for certain stores to pay extra location pay but night premiums are fixed

Best of luck with trying for a job, recruitment is slow in retail at the moment so be patient, its also 6 weeks until the end of the Tesco financial year and this is a quiet trading period so recruitment will be on the back burner until the new year to deliver then end of year financial's, well at least bring it closer to budget!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodo_man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Timmne
Old 10-01-2009, 3:50 PM

Quote:
dodo_man Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid

i was only telling u what happens in the store where i work and as previously been pointed out it varies between stores.
dodo_man's right - please don't confuse the issue with your hearsay figures. You obviously know your rate of pay but as to other rates and conditions of recruitment, you will not be aware and management will not likely tell you either.

It's nigh on impossible to get a job in a superstore/extra with just weekdays if you're part time. Expresses are easier to get non-weekend work as the staff levels per shift are lower and there's not massive differences between a weekday and weekend in terms of trade (although there is some).

OP - rates of pay are similar across supermarkets and if you're looking for a part time job, I'd recommend just trying any you'd be willing to work in as the packages don't differ much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timmne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
debrag
Old 11-01-2009, 2:15 PM

there's never any jobs near me I can work evenings & weekends but can't find work
Debts: c3 = 639 ; c4 = 458 TOTAL = 1097 | I'm collecting DFs = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12! | DRO to drop off 2015 | Credit Card = Capital One Secure | House deposit = 30k by Dec '21 - 5k/30k | Moving to Worthing!
# 11
geordie joe
Old 11-01-2009, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleyco View Post
dodo_man you are mistaken, pay is 5.52 per hour, i know this for a fact. Fact
The minimum wage is 5.73 per hour!

Are you saying Tesco are breaking the law by paying less than the minimum wage?
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
darlo_fan
Old 11-01-2009, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Might be worth you checking your facts as partygirl has already informed us that she gets more than that as a 17 year old.

I dont think you are having a good couple of days really.
# 13
tripled
Old 12-01-2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Do you mean your pay is 5.52 and hour. Fact? Or everyone in Tescos, regardless of age, length of service, store, position, etc, earns 5.52. Fact?

Mind you, I don't actually understand what point you are making to dodo_man, as he never posted a base rate (in fact he said it varied from store to store). He gave a rough idea of the maximum someone could earn as an assisstant working the highest paid shifts. Perhaps you could explain to us what you are on about?

While you are at it, why not try and justify why you feel it necessary to insult other posters? Perhaps, if you can read, you should take a look at this.

Last edited by tripled; 12-01-2009 at 7:25 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tripled For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
geordie joe
Old 12-01-2009, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Geordie joe read here if you can read - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

Minimum wage is 5.73 for over 22, which when I last checked was more then 17. Eg if you are 17 years old you are younger then 22 years old.

Pay is 5.52 per hour. Fact
Nobody has mentioned age! If you are 22 or over they wage is 5.73 or more. FACT!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
geordie joe
Old 12-01-2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I am giving a factually rate of pay for 17 year olds at tesco.
But you didn't say you were giving the wage for someone aged 17. What you said was;

Quote:
To me, and most others this looks like you are saying that everyone who works for Tesco gets 5.52 per hour.

Quote:
He suggested I was lying as it was below the minimum wage.
You said the wage was 5.52 and I pointed out that this would be below the minimum wage. Don't foirget that most of us on here are adults and when we talk about the minimum wage we mean the one for adults, not the one for children.

Quote:
I pointed out the actual minimum wage not his rubbish he talks. If he cannot read it really is not my problem, I do not have time to teach him to read.
You don't have the skills either, if your written English is anything to go by. Perhaps you should go back to texting your friends.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
geordie joe
Old 12-01-2009, 7:57 PM

Quote:
And she is 17 therefore not over 22.
Who might "she" be?

Quote:
I simply cannot spend the time to teach you how to add up aswel.
That's a shame, I was going to ask if you could help with my spelling as well!
# 17
geordie joe
Old 12-01-2009, 7:58 PM

Quote:
You should stop worrying about what others get paid as I have the facts, which you do not. You will find that adults are 18 +. Once again you should refer to a number chart to see that 22 is higher then 18.
And if you referred to one of these charts you would find that 17 is below 18, therefore a 17 year old is a child.
# 18
tripled
Old 12-01-2009, 7:58 PM

Hayleyco, I acknowledge my English is not perfect in any way, but the number of grammatical errors from someone insulting another's intelligence is quite shocking, although also quite amusing.

Edit: Also, you still haven't clarified what was incorrect about dodo_man's point for us, please could you explain?

Last edited by tripled; 12-01-2009 at 8:03 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tripled For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
skint-student-nurse
Old 12-01-2009, 8:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to skint-student-nurse

just for my bit...i worked at tesco 6 years ago and was on 5.54 when i left...and i was 17 when i left. tesco are well known for paying above the minimum wage IMHO.
Make your dream amount for 2012 - 382
# 20
geordie joe
Old 12-01-2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skint-student-nurse View Post
just for my bit...i worked at tesco 6 years ago and was on 5.54 when i left...and i was 17 when i left. tesco are well known for paying above the minimum wage IMHO.
So in 6 years, rather than increasing wages Tesco have reduced the wage by 2p.

Well all know they pay 17 year old's 5.52, it's a fact (allegedly)!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread