Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > technika tv/dvd just out of warranty, just died o... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
technika tv/dvd just out of warranty, just died on me.
Views: 22,860
# 1
jacobjohn7
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default technika tv/dvd just out of warranty, just died on me.

Hi, please could anyone offer help. I have a technika tv/dvd purchased in local Tesco store for 249.00 it suddenly decided to go black last night with red light flashing (motherboard propably) it is just out of warranty I have my receipt etc. i dont consider 1.2 years fair use and value, and can't afford another one due to loss of work, and it rankles with me that 250 is potentially going down the swanny!.
Any ideas?, other than tesco customer service etc (done that) so far response I have had is they are going to send me an out of warranty form out for me to return, which they said will make a % payment based on how long etc. (anyone any experience of this?) it all sounds a bit vague to me, so would it be useful to cause a nuisance of myself in local store etc?
Any help appreciated. Thanks, and happy new year to all.
John
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
pinkshoes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

Go back to Tesco and tell them this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DCFC79
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM

If I spent 249 on a tv/dvd id expect it to last longer than just over a year, id expect something worth 249 to last maybe 3/4 years
# 4
Takoda
Old 05-01-2009, 3:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Technika are their own brand of electronic stuff IIRC so a result to your problem should be easy to sort out even for Tesco!
The Following User Says Thank You to Takoda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pollypenny
Old 05-01-2009, 3:49 PM

Check the Which website for their advice on durability. Go armed with the reference to The Sales of Goods Act, 1976 ( I think, but it'll be on the Which site, as well as somewhere here on Martin's site)

The Act clearly includes 'durability' as part of 'fitness for purpose".
The Following User Says Thank You to pollypenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jacobjohn7
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for comments so far, i will go into tesco tomorrow, with tv and have it out with em..! I am ready to take them to small claims court as well, as due to being on a currently v. low income, will prob get free legal aid and stuff to do this... (thats if it is required)... but stuff like this, I dont let it lie.
Any more suggestions/support welcome.
# 7
dmg24
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

You are wrong, and Tesco are spot on. After the 'reasonable time' has elapsed where the customer gets to choose the remedy to the fault, the retailer can decide whether to replace, repair or refund. In the case of a refund, this can be proportional according to the age of the product and the expected lifespan of such a product.

john haigh, Tesco are fulfilling their legal obligations. If you create a nuisance of yourself in store, all that is likely to happen is that you will be removed from the store.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pinkshoes
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
You are wrong, and Tesco are spot on. After the 'reasonable time' has elapsed where the customer gets to choose the remedy to the fault, the retailer can decide whether to replace, repair or refund. In the case of a refund, this can be proportional according to the age of the product and the expected lifespan of such a product.

john haigh, Tesco are fulfilling their legal obligations. If you create a nuisance of yourself in store, all that is likely to happen is that you will be removed from the store.
But Tesco aren't offering a refund. They're asking the OP to pay a % of the repair, when he is entitled to a free repair, as it's only just over a year old.

They could also replace it, or they could refund a suitable amount.

I would say I was right.
# 9
dmg24
Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
But Tesco aren't offering a refund. They're asking the OP to pay a % of the repair, when he is entitled to a free repair, as it's only just over a year old.

I would say I was right.
Quote:
they are going to send me an out of warranty form out for me to return, which they said will make a % payment based on how long etc.
You have misread the OP. They are not asking the OP to pay anything. They are going to pay him the proportionate amount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dmg24
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I would say I was right.
Confirmation of Tesco's out of warranty policy (post two). Still sure you're right? :confused:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ly-5100-a.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jacobjohn7
Old 06-01-2009, 8:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi, thankyou to you both, food for thought from both, pink shoes, has a very similar line to that described and prescribed to me by the consumer advice website (who kindly replied to my email via the phone) they said that they should do the % ploy only after exploring repair/replace options. They told me to put it all in writing, which I will include with the out of warranty form.
# 12
jacobjohn7
Old 16-01-2009, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Update wise, I filled out tescos form for repayment, mentioned all the facts given to me on here, and by the consumer advice bod. This was sent over a week ago, I demanded that the product should be repaired/replaced prior to offering a % but still not heard from them.. i will follow up with a phone call today. But would like to add a warning to other consumers about the Technika tvs.... well it served me for 1.2 years, picture was good, but have a feeling that they use cheap motherboards/components as mine died very early, so please exercise caution when looking at the offers for larger technika tvs which have been offered recently by Tescos.
# 13
jacobjohn7
Old 30-01-2009, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

In conclusion to this, received 188 back off tesco, which is adequate for a replacement, put another 18 or so quid in and got a lovely samsung (hopefully more reliable) 22" which is great, so not too bad after all.
many thanks for help everyone.
John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacobjohn7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Tozer
Old 30-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:

This isn't correct. It is not "up to a maximum of 6 years". The 6 year period relates to the 'limitation period' within which to bring a claim.

DMG24 is spot on in her advice.
# 15
Colliefrog
Old 31-01-2009, 8:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think Tesco were very fair in this situation.

Whenever I have dealt with out of warranty items (on the advice of head office) I have had to ask the customer to provide an engineers report stating what the fault is and to provide proof that the fault is due to a manufacturers defect.

It is a rather grey area and unfortunately not many companies provide proper training for their staff. I'll be the first to admit that most of my knowledge of the matter comes from this site!
# 16
RHemmings
Old 31-01-2009, 5:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm not able to talk about the exact legal rights and wrongs. But if I'd bought a TV/DVD for 250 over a year ago, and I got 188 back, I'd be happy.
# 17
rbailey
Old 03-04-2010, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Tesco and Technika TV's

I've seen all of the negative stuff on here about Tesco and their Technika own brand TV's. I've had two 22" LCD TV DVD combos, one of which just failed on me for the second time (DVD's would play) but Tesco have been brilliant on both occasions. They exchanged my TV before and today without any hassle. Just wanted to balance all the negative with some positive, credit where credit is due......

Let's not ask for too much here, when you pay a lower amount of money you should expect to get a cheaper quaility product. You get what you pay for.

Regards

Roy
# 18
jaz
Old 05-04-2010, 5:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbailey View Post
I've seen all of the negative stuff on here about Tesco and their Technika own brand TV's. I've had two 22" LCD TV DVD combos, one of which just failed on me for the second time (DVD's would play) but Tesco have been brilliant on both occasions. They exchanged my TV before and today without any hassle. Just wanted to balance all the negative with some positive, credit where credit is due......

Let's not ask for too much here, when you pay a lower amount of money you should expect to get a cheaper quaility product. You get what you pay for.

Regards

Roy
Been working for Tesco long, Roy?
The Following User Says Thank You to jaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
woody01
Old 05-04-2010, 9:34 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

And that is the crux of it (which you have wrong).
It makes not one jot of difference whether you, the OP or the Man in the Moon deem this product to have lasted that long.

Also, another place where you are wrong, is the they can offer anything they like to redeem this issue, which they have.
Tesco are offering a timed refund, where they will offer partial cash back whilst taking into acount the length of time the OP has had the product.

You are NOT ENTITLED to a free repair.
It is the choice of the retailer to either repair....replace...or refund.

Quote:
I demanded that the product should be repaired/replaced prior to offering a %
If you listened to anyone besides PinkShoes, you would see that is a bit daft as you are not in a position to 'demand' anything.
Quote:

In conclusion to this, received 188 back off tesco, which is adequate for a replacement, put another 18 or so quid in and got a lovely samsung (hopefully more reliable) 22" which is great, so not too bad after all.
and there you go.
A good result without having to make idle threats

Last edited by woody01; 05-04-2010 at 9:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
wealdroam
Old 05-04-2010, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody01 View Post
And that is the crux of it (which you have wrong).
It makes not one jot of difference whether you, the OP or the Man in the Moon deem this product to have lasted that long.

Also, another place where you are wrong, is the they can offer anything they like to redeem this issue, which they have.
Tesco are offering a timed refund, where they will offer partial cash back whilst taking into acount the length of time the OP has had the product.

You are NOT ENTITLED to a free repair.
It is the choice of the retailer to either repair....replace...or refund.

If you listened to anyone besides PinkShoes, you would see that is a bit daft as you are not in a position to 'demand' anything.

and there you go.
A good result without having to make idle threats
That was well worth writing, wasn't it Woody?

Feel better now?

By the way Pinkshoes wrote her comments fifteen months ago.