IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking "tickets" when parked on private land

Options
Some months ago I was told on here about a site* which gives info on motorists' rights. It appears that a parking ticket issued by the council or police usually must be paid, but anything issued by a private company for parking on private land does not really stand up in court.

A lot of shops (Aldi, Tesco, retail parks) in particular will have a car park which is free but doesn't allow more than say 1 or 2 hours parking - they threaten a "ticket" if you breach this.

It seems logical to ignore these time restrictions if the parking "tickets" do not stand up in court.

What do Moneysavers with this knowledge do? Do you ignore any such parking restrictions?

*name of site removed as per board guidelines

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    You can ignore them if you want and don't care that it's someones property. But don't be surprised if they take you to county court.

For the reasons above, I wouldn't bother issuing PCNs to people, I'd just block their cars in with large lumps of concrete then take a fortnights holiday.
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol Conor.

OP, there's a board here with discussion on parking fines http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=163
  • p1an0player
    p1an0player Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I didn't know there was whole different board.

Conor, I hear what you're saying.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Conor, I hear what you're saying too...and agree ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Borrowed from a lawyer on the site I'm not allowed to mention:-

You could but you may then be subjected to harassment by a PPC and associated debt collectors. While this is highly unlikely to result in legal action against you and even less likely to result in you losing one has to ask if it's actually worth it.

As for pay and display then they are entitled to claim the costs of parking from you, so they could take you to court for the hourly fee and probably win. It is fair and just that you pay for the parking you use.

I do not advocate deliberately parking on private property contrary to any restrictions the landowner might put on parking there. Doing so is a trespass and is unlawful. However, a PPC then trying to impose a disproportionate charge (ie a penalty) for doing so is just as unlawful and should be fought.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Hi p1an0player

I've moved this thread over to the new 'Parking Fines' Board :)

peter_the_piper - see MSE Wendy's post for details about mentioning Pepipoo. It's fine to refer to it provided it's in context as in your above post (i.e. not a one line post saying "Go to Pepipoo").

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    However, a PPC then trying to impose a disproportionate charge (ie a penalty) for doing so is just as unlawful and should be fought.

I disagree. I've just paid £60 an hour for a repair on my Mondeo. If you take all the time involved in issuing, processing and chasing up a PPC's charge, then £60 or whatever is not unreasonable. Personally if I were the PPC company, I'd take you to court and also claim the £200+per hour solicitors fees as well.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Tell us all, what legal training you have. I would rather take the word of a real lawyer over a barrack room one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Personally if I were the PPC company, I'd take you to court and also claim the £200+per hour solicitors fees as well."

You'd have a job. It would be a small claim, subject to fixed costs.
  • Conor2_2
    Options
    Yes..in the £100's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills