Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Crisp 10 pound note's to enter turkey (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Crisp 10 pound note's to enter turkey
Closed Thread
Views: 17,982
# 1
WOW Factor 0
jason46
Old 12-10-2008, 7:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Crisp 10 pound note's to enter turkey

Hi

We are going to turkey in 2 weeks time and have been told that to enter the country we must hand over a crisp 10 note per person, This sound's a bit strange, Can anybody confirm this?

thanks

jay
# 2
notakid
Old 12-10-2008, 7:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yes its true, they stand there with a box! Honestly! £10 each even for children.
But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to the English Channel
Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more

Last edited by notakid; 12-10-2008 at 8:34 AM.
# 3
gadger999
Old 12-10-2008, 8:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Were off to marmaris in 2 weeks as well.
The 10 note is for a 90 day visa, realy just a way of getting a bit of extra sterling (used to be 5 back in the 90's)
Have a good holiday.
Cheers............
# 4
stephb34
Old 12-10-2008, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi it must be an english 10 note per person not scottish and if theres 2 of you dont give them a 20 as they do only take 10 each and they wont give you change for the 20, then you'll end up giving 20 per person.
# 5
Becles
Old 12-10-2008, 9:21 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes it's true - even babies have to pay!

There are booths just as you get inside the terminal building, and you have to pay your 10 and get your visa stamped in your passport. My sons also had to state which football team they supported

On your return, Turkish airports charge stupidly high prices for food and drinks. If you will need refreshments at the airport, but food and drinks in the resort and take it with you. There are no liquid restrictions and we carried a large bottle of water through to the departure lounge and some sandwiches.
Here I go again on my own....
# 6
Saint_Chris
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

And when you get there, above is a list of other countries charges.

have a look how much we pay to other countries.
# 7
MrsTinks
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM

It's the same in Egypt if you leave your resort you need a Visa
# 8
doelani
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Just to add put a 10 inside each passport not all together in one. First year 5 of us went and I put 10 in 3 passports but my eldest son had his an his little brothers passport and put the 2 10 notes in the one passport and handed his in with his brothers that had no 10 in it ....what an argument to get them to believe we were not trying to get in without paying for youngest son lol

they did believe us in end but told one " 10 in each passport" so we were well and truly warned
TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
# 9
doelani
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becles View Post

On your return, Turkish airports charge stupidly high prices for food and drinks. If you will need refreshments at the airport, but food and drinks in the resort and take it with you. There are no liquid restrictions and we carried a large bottle of water through to the departure lounge and some sandwiches.

I agree in May this year we paid 24 ( used debit card ) for 2 kfc's they were lovely but not worth that amount lol
TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
# 10
MrSmartprice
Old 12-10-2008, 2:01 PM
PPR

I have only been to Turkey once, in about 1996, and it was 10 to get in then. It is a complete racket, but in a way it prepares you for the constant hassles and scams that you will encounter during your stay.

It is impossible to walk past a restaurant in a tourist resort without fending off their touts. Don't fall for them as these places offer mediocre food at inflated prices. You are far better eating at the simple little places used by the locals. And there is always someone trying to part you from your money. Even the shoeshine kids were a constant pain.

Turkey is also a very unhygienic place and you are likely to get food poisoning - we were both off work for a week after our trip. All these factors mean that we would never consider Turkey again.
# 11
markccfc
Old 12-10-2008, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by notakid View Post
Yes its true, they stand there with a box! Honestly! 10 each even for children.
Not having been to Turkey, what happens if you don't have it ?
# 12
littlereddevil
Old 12-10-2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartprice View Post
I have only been to Turkey once, in about 1996, and it was 10 to get in then. It is a complete racket, but in a way it prepares you for the constant hassles and scams that you will encounter during your stay.

It is impossible to walk past a restaurant in a tourist resort without fending off their touts. Don't fall for them as these places offer mediocre food at inflated prices. You are far better eating at the simple little places used by the locals. And there is always someone trying to part you from your money. Even the shoeshine kids were a constant pain.

Turkey is also a very unhygienic place and you are likely to get food poisoning - we were both off work for a week after our trip. All these factors mean that we would never consider Turkey again.
You obviously went to the wrong place. not all Turkey is like that in fact some places are nothing at all like that.
travelover
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to littlereddevil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
notakid
Old 12-10-2008, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markccfc View Post
Not having been to Turkey, what happens if you don't have it ?
I'm pretty sure that they will take the equivalent amount in Turkish Lira as one year I forgot (even thou I'd been there the last 3 years running!) and I paid with my holiday money.

If you haven't the visa you don't get in.

Turkey is one of the cleanest places I've ever been to, thats way we kept on returning, saying that I've only ever been to one place. Beautiful country and people.
But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to the English Channel
Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
# 14
M4RKM
Old 12-10-2008, 5:12 PM

what if i gave them a slightly used £10 note? don't they like that..
# 15
Voyager2002
Old 12-10-2008, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartprice View Post

Hardly a racket! Most countries charge a fee for issuing a visa: the UK charges more like sixty pounds, so the tenner is a bargain. And it is convenient that visas are issued on arrival at the airport there, saving you the trouble and expense of visiting the embassy to obtain your visa in advance.

Your comments about hygiene are really unfair. Restaurants that mainly serve tourists often let standards drop because they don't need to worry about maintaining their reputation and getting repeat business, and that is just as true of London as it is of Turkey. The only solution is to make sure that you eat in places where most of the customers are locals: that way you have a more interesting and authentic dining experience, as well as a healthy one. My experience is that Turkish families, and the places that serve them, maintain very high standards of hygiene and quality.
# 16
whu
Old 13-10-2008, 2:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You need to have 10 each for entry visa - I have been twice and did not feel over hassled (despite the impression that is sometimes given ) and did not have any problems with hygiene/food except one night in Istanbul - but that could happen anywhere - i know of people who have been to fairly pricey restaurants in London and have ben sick because of the food - enjoy your trip
# 17
gracie000
Old 14-10-2008, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I live in Istanbul and travel back and forth to the UK and throughout Turkey...so hopefully I can add some useful info!
You will need a 10 note for your 90 day holiday visa. It does not need to be crisp but must be an Emglish not and not Scottish. If you don't have a tenner you can pay in YTL but it will work out more expensive. If you don't buy a visa...you won't get in! If you go to any other non EU country you will have to purchase a visa wither once you arrive or through your travel agency. People must do the same to enter the UK...and the cost for our visa is higher than a tenner...I think a we get the bargain!
In my opinion all airports are expensive for food and drink!
As for the hassle experienced....in some places I agree with this and others not at all. Some people view it as the locals being friendly. But if you don't like it either try and head away from the touristy areas (so talk to the locals and find out where they tend to go) or get used to it! The turkish mentality is that this is not hassle and its them just being friendly (aswell as wanting you to buy or eat from their place!). Relax and try and enjoy it!
Turkey is not unhygienic...and you cannot generalise. Travel or look around your area and you will find this is not true. Istanbul particularly has the same standards are places in the EU and the UK. There are places in the UK I would class as unhygienic (and at risk or getting food poisioning from) but I wouldnt say the UK was.
Last but not least...enjoy your holiday!
The Following User Says Thank You to gracie000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MrSmartprice
Old 14-10-2008, 6:00 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
You obviously went to the wrong place. not all Turkey is like that in fact some places are nothing at all like that.
Maybe we did! It was the Bodrum area. But it's pretty consistent with what others we know have said about Turkey. So we shall not be returning any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager2002 View Post
Hardly a racket! Most countries charge a fee for issuing a visa: the UK charges more like sixty pounds, so the tenner is a bargain. And it is convenient that visas are issued on arrival at the airport there, saving you the trouble and expense of visiting the embassy to obtain your visa in advance.

Your comments about hygiene are really unfair. Restaurants that mainly serve tourists often let standards drop because they don't need to worry about maintaining their reputation and getting repeat business, and that is just as true of London as it is of Turkey. The only solution is to make sure that you eat in places where most of the customers are locals: that way you have a more interesting and authentic dining experience, as well as a healthy one. My experience is that Turkish families, and the places that serve them, maintain very high standards of hygiene and quality.
Well, it is a racket. It is not a proper visa at all, it is simply a tax. Visas have an element of selectivity about them. Is there another European country that blags you like this, as I haven't been to one? (Russia, possibly!) Turkey have their sights on EU membership which would end this scam once and for all, not that I think they will be admitted in the forseeable future.

As for hygeine, it is the filthiest country I've been to. Even standards in India were better than Turkey. As a former TSO I worked with EHOs for years so I've seen plenty of horror stories too. I did say the 'locals' places were much better - the tourist places were just vile. Their cavalier attitude to food, cleanliness, service and even honesty were despicable. And the constant badgering by slimy waiters in the street was cringeworthy.
# 19
sevlow
Old 14-10-2008, 6:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a home in Turkey and am therefore a regular visitor both in & out of the tourist season. I have several Turkish friends who run businesses - one a restaurant owner and one a chief.

I have found the general atitude to hygeine and food standards to be first rate so its unfortunate that a bad experiance many years ago has left such an impression on you. Of course we all tend to shout about our holiday horror stories but it is a shame that this has prevented you from enjoying what is on the whole a warm, friendly and beatiful part of the world.
No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
The Following User Says Thank You to sevlow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bootman
Old 14-10-2008, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have been twice and their hospitality is great as you say friendly and the food is so fresh and the fish is superb.

My only complaint is that their mozzies love me and bite me to death.
The Following User Says Thank You to bootman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread