Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > MOT Cost Cutting discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
MOT Cost Cutting discussion
Views: 41,149
# 1
MSE Wendy
Old 30-09-2008, 1:27 PM
Campaigns Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default MOT Cost Cutting discussion

This discussion relates to the guide to

MOT Cost Cutting article
which includes a full list of the special test areas

Click reply to discuss.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

See an earlier incarnation of this discussion here.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-02-2013 at 7:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
darich
Old 30-09-2008, 2:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Always beware of reduced rates or even free MOTs. The garage will invariably find a "fault" and claim something requires to be replced.

I found out recently that many local council depots can carry out MOTs. They're more likely to give you an impartial test because they don't sell parts and can't make any money by saying your car fails on any given item.

You'll pay the full price for the test but it's worth remembering and avoid the garage trying to sell you brakes, shockers etc and many other components that are difficult to check.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
The Following User Says Thank You to darich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
123margaretw
Old 01-10-2008, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

whilst i agree with the majority of the info in the cheap mot tests, I feel I ought to point out that reputable garages do not look for repairs which cause a car to fail an mot. My husband has been in the trade over 50 years and has tested for over 40 years, he built up a very reputable business and he has customers come to here from miles away because he is good at what he does.
Don't assume all garages are the same, yes there are some disreputable garages out there you have to find someone you can trust!
# 4
PollyS
Old 01-10-2008, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Correction

In the list of Council MOT Centres the one for Ivybridge in the South Hams should be listed as Devon in the County section of the list (Ivybridge is the town where the MOT centre is & South Hams is the District). The rest of the address is Blachford Road, Ivybridge PL21 0AE. I've used them twice now & both times they've been very good.
# 5
Jeffrey
Old 01-10-2008, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey Send a message via Skype™ to Jeffrey

I am looking for one around Tiverton area
# 6
elevero
Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Council MOT Centres

Or even Exeter! Devon is a large enough county.
# 7
PW07
Old 06-10-2008, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have moved to the Sheffield / Rotherham can anybody recommend an MOT test centre
# 8
piperuk
Old 06-10-2008, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Little tip - don't have your car MOT'd and serviced at the same time. The garage can't then hold you to ransom over work needing to be done to get it through the test. Have the service done a few weeks before, and they should give you a list of advisories which you can then get sorted somewhere else if you wish, plus you'll have precious time to mull over their 'report'.

What I do is use Tesco Clubcard Deals to get a service done at Nationwide Autocentre for free, obtain their list of 'advisories' when I pick the car up, laugh at their massive cost, then take the car to a trusted local garage for an MOT. Nationwide Autocentre Oldbury wanted nearly 400 to replace discs and pads and I ended up getting it done for 180 at a little independent 3 minutes away.

Unfortunately I havent been so wise in the past and I've learnt at massive cost not to trust a car servicing 'chain' or dealer network!
The Following User Says Thank You to piperuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
nozzy6
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default MOT & Service centre Farnham, Surrey

Hi, can anyone recommend an MOT test centre in or near Farnham, Surrey please? My 55plate fiesta is almost due its first MOT and is about ready for a service as well. I've previously had it serviced at kwik fit and the nationwide autocentre but wondered if there was a cheaper alternative? I've considered the council run places but I do alot of miles and I think its unlikely it will get through without any work being needed, but on the other hand there is nothing obviously wrong with it. any tips would be most appreciated as I know next to nothing about cars!

thanks
# 10
Asteconn
Old 12-11-2008, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If I may suggest one *big* money saver that I've done: get a haynes manual for your car and follow its pre-mot checklist. It'll take you through everything that the testers will do and you can spot any failures before you fail.

Don't reply with "I know nothing about cars though!", because all of it is super-simple and doable by someone with no mechanical experience.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asteconn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
RichyRich
Old 12-11-2008, 6:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was well impressed with the MOT Test at Newcastle City Council's Shieldfield Road Depot. I was expecting to pay the full 53.10, but was delighted when I was only charged 35. Discounted rate and no incentive to fail to boot! Highly recommended
I can't believe you've gone to so much effort to read this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichyRich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Melster
Old 01-12-2008, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking Actual Proof

Last year I took my 5 year old Xtrail to Nationwide Autocentres in Guildford for an MOT because there was an online offer. The car failed on emissions (but it is diesel) then went on to pass with a infusion of fuel cleaner however I was given a list of 'amber' issues which apparently needed dealing with asap including new front brake disks and pads plus a quote for the recommended work - some 600. I decided to see how the car went on the basis that it had passed so was legally ok and mentally prepared for having a huge bill at the next test.
Nationwide Autocentres sent me a reminder pack and called me a couple of weeks ago to persuade me to book the car in but on the advice of this website I had already arranged for the Council test centre to do the MOT with a view to damage limitation of the bank account
So you can imagine my surprise and delight when the Council testing depot in Guildford passed the car first time without fault of any kind, including brakes.........
I can now only believe that not only were Nationwide Autocentres less than truthful in their assessment of the car in 2007 I'd go as far to say guilty of premeditated fraud as had I accepted their offer to take the car back this year I would be significantly worse off for no reason.....
In case you didn't get the name thats NATIONWIDE AUTOCENTRES GUILDFORD who are as the name suggests a national company with I would imagine a national policy.....
Thank you for the advice Martin you're a star
# 13
Melster
Old 01-12-2008, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Theres one at Woking Road Guildford. Excellent. I was nearly ripped off by Nationwide Autocentres. See post.
# 14
igaquo1
Old 09-12-2008, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Bad news! On booking my car today into the Waltham Forest council MOT centre in Walthamstow, London, I was told that the council was preparing to close down the centre. I'm not sure at what stage the decision is, but I'd suggest to everyone if they support these independent council MOT centres then should they use the Waltham Forest council MOT centre to try and reduce its chances of closing. Even write an email or letter to the Council as well might help. I've just emailed them for confirmation and their reasons.

http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/inde...ot-testing.htm
Argall Avenue
London E10 7AS
# 15
jmdavies
Old 21-02-2009, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Denbighshire County Council's Fleet Management and Vehicle Maintenance Centre is located on the Expressway Business Park in Bodelwyddan and as well as maintaining the County's vehicles and that of a number of other customers it also has an MOT Testing facility open to the general public.

The Maintenance Centre's opening hours are currently 7.30am to 9pm, Monday to Friday. Please contact us on 01745 839230 if you would like to book a test or discuss any vehicle maintenance issues.

Fleet Management and Vehicle Maintenance
Expressway Business Park
Abergele Road
Bodelwyddan
LL18 5SQ
# 16
Bex saving lots
Old 18-03-2009, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default New Deal at Nationwide Auto Centres

I know Martin's article on MOT's advises caution when using MOT centres but sometimes it's unavoidable. Just found this great deal from Nationwide Auto Centres which gives 20 off and MOT to refered friends and family - and if they use it you get sent 20 fuel voucher.

http://www.nationwideautocentres.co....erAFriend.aspx

Definitley going to give it a go as both cars in our household need doing!! In addition, if you are an AA memeber, you automatically recieve discounts on all services - I will let you know if I get these discounts and am still able to use the 20 discount voucher!
# 17
steveo3002
Old 18-03-2009, 5:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex saving lots View Post
I know Martin's article on MOT's advises caution when using MOT centres but sometimes it's unavoidable. Just found this great deal from Nationwide Auto Centres which gives 20 off and MOT to refered friends and family - and if they use it you get sent 20 fuel voucher.

http://www.nationwideautocentres.co....erAFriend.aspx

Definitley going to give it a go as both cars in our household need doing!! In addition, if you are an AA memeber, you automatically recieve discounts on all services - I will let you know if I get these discounts and am still able to use the 20 discount voucher!
nationwide is well known for scamming customers into extra work that isnt needed
The Following User Says Thank You to steveo3002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
kate_pixie
Old 23-03-2009, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anyone had bad experiences of Kwik Fit? I know it's an evil chain and that you pay for convenience, but it would save me taking a day off work to get the car MOT'd, and my local Council run MOT Centre is the other side of the county.

Finally a Homeowner 04.10.13

Grocery Challenge July 2014 41.02/ 50

"So much to do, so much to see. So what's wrong with taking the back streets?"
# 19
iwanttosave
Old 23-03-2009, 3:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_pixie View Post
Has anyone had bad experiences of Kwik Fit? I know it's an evil chain and that you pay for convenience, but it would save me taking a day off work to get the car MOT'd, and my local Council run MOT Centre is the other side of the county.
I was just thinking of them. My OH used them last year (only due to getting a free text with his insurance). They were very good, had to keep going back to technical issues on their side.
Failed it the first time on a rubber boot (CV boot I think he said), he said 'The thing was it was a new one the year before' :confused:. And that it looked like it has been ground down, and there was no normal ware and tare on it at all.
Also failed on the emimistions. Cost him like 8 to sort out, kwik-fit wanted 65 to do the work.
Id say good but worth thinking about.
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
# 20
billesniper
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman can View Post
There are a few new MOTMax stations in the local area (Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire) that only do MOT's and advertise the fact that because they only do MOT's they have no vested interest to fail your vehicle. Because of this, they say there pass rate is a lot higher than the national average. They are also doing a few promotions; one is where if your car doesn't pass, you don't pay. The other is by booking online you save 5. The website is www.motmax.co.uk if anyone is interested. Highly recommended!!
Just to say I used Motmax on Tuesday in Lincoln, and they are very good plus If you are a women driver the reception is staffed by a women so no intimidation problems like some garages.

Book the car online two weeks in advance print off the voucher and it only costs 29.95.As bananaman said they have no interest in servicing or parts so nothing for them to gain by failing you.