Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > The great Lidl/Aldi beauty hunt.... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The great Lidl/Aldi beauty hunt....
Closed Thread
Views: 28,511
# 1
sadiedoll
Old 14-09-2008, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default The great Lidl/Aldi beauty hunt....

Recently, I've decided to try and put more money into savings. I took a look at my bathroom and realised that far too much money was going on brand name health/beauty products. Two of my old flatmates were Greek and French and happily stocked up on products at Lidl/Aldi, as they didn't feel constrained by having to have a 'name'.

So, as I am coming to the end of various products, I am replacing them with an equivalent from Lidl. I'm going to list what I have found so far....if anyone else can recommend Lidl (or Aldi - its right next door round my way) beauty products, I'd be grateful.

Showergel - 'Pool' Lemon (about 80p) - lovely, creamy scent. bought to use at the gym, really refreshing after a workout, not drying, have washed my hair with it and it left it very soft.

Showergel - Cien Yoghurt Strawberry (48p) - Nice scent, not drying, good for everyday use. Replacement for Lush 'Yummy Yummy Yummy' which was 2.95 for 100ml.

Showergel - 'Active' (13p) - bought to use in handwash dispenser in kitchen and bathroom. Superb value. Does the job perfectly.

Toothpaste - Dentalux 'Herb Fresh' (49p) - replacement for Colgate Whitening. Excellent taste and getting good results. Teeth appearing much whiter than when I was using a 'whitening' toothpaste. Feel clean all day as well. Really impressed with this.

Mouthwash - Dentalux 'Orange' (59p) - very similar to the Listerine Citrus it replaced. Bit less harsh on the mouth, which is good.

Toothbrushes -Dentalux Hard Bristle (45p for pack of 4) - excellent value and doing a great job - my teeth and gums are looking healthy and teeth appearing whiter.

Deodarant - Cien Deo 'Mango' (89p) - been using this for a while and it is superb. Sometimes on offer at 60p, when I tend to stockpile!

That's all I've bought so far....
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sadiedoll For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
harryharp
Old 14-09-2008, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Great idea for a thread!

Don't forget the Aldi Siana moisturisers which have been praised so many times on this site- they really are excellent.

Re. the Lidl Mango deodorant- I have some of this. I like the smell, but I'd recommend holding your breath when you put it on as it doesn't half make you gag if you breathe it in.
Harpists do it in a heavenly way.....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harryharp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ailuro2
Old 14-09-2008, 6:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The only thing I bought so far was the lemon scented deodorant from Lidl - the Cien stuff - because I use lemon original source shower gel and love the lemony smell - unfortunately the smell doesn't work for me as a deodorant, it smells more like an air freshener or furniture polish.

Great thread, sadiedoll.
Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ailuro2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
needmoney
Old 14-09-2008, 6:35 PM

I love Lidl's anti wrinkle cream in the black tube, they've stopped doing it now and the replacement is not good at all.

Does anyone know if this is in all areas or just here?
Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Following User Says Thank You to needmoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Pennylane
Old 14-09-2008, 7:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Lidl face-wipes (or cleansing wipes)in the pale pink packet are really nice. These are for dry/sensitive skin and I think the normal/greasy are in a blue pack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pennylane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Diane60
Old 14-09-2008, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoney View Post
I love Lidl's anti wrinkle cream in the black tube, they've stopped doing it now and the replacement is not good at all.

Does anyone know if this is in all areas or just here?
Try Lacura Wrinkle Filler with Collagen. From Aldi in a 30 ml tube. I thinks its excellent. I use it on eye area and the Sania day cream on the rest of the face. Good products and good value.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diane60 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
harryharp
Old 14-09-2008, 7:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane60 View Post
Try Lacura Wrinkle Filler with Collagen. From Aldi in a 30 ml tube. I thinks its excellent. I use it on eye area and the Sania day cream on the rest of the face. Good products and good value.
I have some of the wrinkle filler and wasn't sure how to use it (all over or just on wrinkles?) or even whether you could use it on the eye area or not. But I will try that since you say it works well for you!
Harpists do it in a heavenly way.....
# 8
beautyscientist
Old 14-09-2008, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I see your logic here and you are being sensible, but can I make a few points. Aldi and Lidl don't make their own products themselves. They get contract manufacturers to make them and develop them. It is very unlikely that one company supplies every line, so you need to try every product and make an independent judgement on them.

Don't expect the fragrances to be nice - the biggest difference between premium and standard products is how natural the fragrances are.

But on the whole, own brand personal care products is a good way to save money. Do watch out though - I have seen some pretty ropey ones as well. Best of luck.
Student of the science of beauty
The Following User Says Thank You to beautyscientist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
needmoney
Old 14-09-2008, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Haven't tried the wrinkle filler lol
I have the Sania day cream and it's nice but I prefer the old Lidl one, it's not like them to change products they've been doing this one for years I wonder why they changed.
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

# 10
needmoney
Old 14-09-2008, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I have the Sania day cream and it's nice but I prefer the old Lidl one, it's not like them to change products they've been doing this one for years I wonder why they changed.

I was in Aldi's the other day and waiting for OH to get served tried a spray of the perfumes and one smelled exactly like Deep Red.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to needmoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
beautyscientist
Old 14-09-2008, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Several contract manufacturers have gone out of business lately - that might have been the reason.

Incidentally I have just blogged on the subject of own brands, inspired by this thread. http://colinsbeautypages.co.uk/are-s...big-name-ones/
Student of the science of beauty
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beautyscientist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Violetta
Old 14-09-2008, 11:12 PM

Sadiedoll this is a great idea, could you please help me out with which shop the products come from. I think Cien ones are Lidl .Sure it would help others too. I get my dd the pack of 2 kid's toothbrush's they are in the shape of a crocodile and hippo they seem quite good can't remember the price but think its less than a
Booo!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Violetta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
maman
Old 14-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Not strictly Aldi/Lidl but Tesco have a Q10 day cream for even cheaper than the famed one from Aldi. Haven't used it yet (still finishing Aldi pot) but it's about 84p and smells very similar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
needmoney
Old 15-09-2008, 12:27 AM

just browsing and found this
worth a read.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to needmoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
JoeyEmma
Old 15-09-2008, 8:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyscientist View Post
I see your logic here and you are being sensible, but can I make a few points. Aldi and Lidl don't make their own products themselves. They get contract manufacturers to make them and develop them. It is very unlikely that one company supplies every line, so you need to try every product and make an independent judgement on them.
The majority of beauty ranges are also owned (and therefore manufactured) by a handful of mega large companies. Estee Lauder own MAC, Clinique and Prescriptives. L'Oreal own the Body Shop, Maybelline, Garnier, Kiehl's and Lancome, to name but a few
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeyEmma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
wannabe_a_mum
Old 15-09-2008, 8:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We seemed to go through Handwash like it was going out of fashion in our house....I used tobuy it BOGOF as it was always on offer somewhere or another and used to get Radox or Palmolive most often. Lidl is actually our closest supermarket and I never used to really venture there unless it was for something advertised in their leaflet that I really needed.....
One day decided to pop in to see if they had any handwash as we were totally out...and picked up Cien Milk & Honey and the Cien blue handwash at 49p for a huge bottle.
Didn't expect much of it BUT it's great.....has a mild care formula as well and obvuiously lasts longer.

Since then I send hubby off to restock evey now and then...he's recently bought about 10 bottles - they've gone up to 55p and now have a variety of different fragrances - fruit mix and apple are my favourite!!

That's the only beauty thing I can get from there as I have very sensitive skin and also my eyes burn like hell if I use certain shampoos/facewash etc so all that stuff still gets bought BOGOF
The Following User Says Thank You to wannabe_a_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Diane60
Old 15-09-2008, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryharp View Post
I have some of the wrinkle filler and wasn't sure how to use it (all over or just on wrinkles?) or even whether you could use it on the eye area or not. But I will try that since you say it works well for you!
I only use it around the eye area. Pull the skin lightly to open the wrinkle and pat in the cream. I can feel it tighten a few seconds after. I used to use Gatineau eye serum but I honestly really rate this product. Been using it nearly a month and it gives good results. Remember though, nothing removes the wrinkle, it just plumps it temporarily. Let me know what you think harryharp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane60 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sadiedoll
Old 15-09-2008, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just to clarify, Cien is Lidl, which is all I've used so far. I've a pot of the legendary Aldi cream sitting on my bedside table ready to go.

They still had the Anti wrinkle cream in the black tube in my local branch on saturday........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadiedoll For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
needmoney
Old 15-09-2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiedoll View Post
Just to clarify, Cien is Lidl, which is all I've used so far. I've a pot of the legendary Aldi cream sitting on my bedside table ready to go.

They still had the Anti wrinkle cream in the black tube in my local branch on saturday........
Thanks Sadie it's still a black tube but the cream is different.
It used to be a creamy colour and felt expensive, the new one is white and thin.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Following User Says Thank You to needmoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
sadiedoll
Old 15-09-2008, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Thanks Sadie it's still a black tube but the cream is different.
It used to be a creamy colour and felt expensive, the new one is white and thin.
Curses, that's a pain! I shall pop in and have a shufty at the texture of it, just on the off- chance, as i'll be passing on the way home.
Closed Thread