Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Paying for a holiday by Debit Card, I'm confused (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Paying for a holiday by Debit Card, I'm confused
Closed Thread
Views: 15,638
# 1
WOW Factor 0
poppie123
Old 10-09-2008, 7:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question Paying for a holiday by Debit Card, I'm confused

Hi everyone,

I am ashamed to say that i only found out just under 2 weeks ago that if you pay for a holiday or flight by debit card then you are not covered if they go bust.

What if the company are ATOL or ABTA bonded would you get your money back then?? i'm so confused by it all.

I am going to WDW next August and for the first time ever i will be doing it DIY.
I have already paid the depoist of my holiday (£150) by debit card. I have booked through Disney UK, park tickets, accommodation and dining plan.
Now i know the likelyhood of WDW going bust is very remote but now i can't help but worry. If i used someone elses credit card ( i haven't got one, don't think they are a good idea)and paid off the balance when it is due would i be covered then? even though i have paid the deposit by debit card.

What about flights? i am looking to go with either BA, Virgin, American Airlines or maybe even Delta. Should i definately book that by Credit Card?

Hope you can help, maybe put my mind at rest

Thanks
# 2
Engadine
Old 10-09-2008, 7:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are booking flights on their own directly with the airline then definitely book using a credit card. Booking just a flight directly with an airline is not covered by an ATOL licence. If you book your flights with a travel agent then check they have an ATOL.

If your debit card is a Visa debit card then you will have protection if the company you book with goes under. You could pay the balance of your holiday with a credit card and you would be covered if anything should happen.

There was a case fairly recently where a woman paid just her deposit by credit card and the balance in cash. The company went under but as she had paid part of the holiday by credit card she was able to claim the full cost of her holiday.

The likely hood of anything happening to Disney is very remote so I am sure your money and holiday will be safe.
Debt free since 31/01/08
2011 Competition Wins: March Ipod Nano, Bose Docking Station, £25 I-Tunes Card, Southern Comfort Mardi Gras Party Kit
# 3
Diamond Olly
Old 10-09-2008, 8:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you are booking your accommodation and flights separately, then it won't be covered under ATOL as it is not a package. For a package to be covered, it has to be booked either through a travel agent who can cover the majority of holidays booked or direct and entirely with the operator. ABTA covers the agent and/or the travel firm. ATOL covers the package - so if you're stranded if the airline goes bust, they will bring you home.

Hope this clarifies.
I am a Travel Agent
My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are S0466/3973. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. Atol numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Olly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
poppie123
Old 10-09-2008, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does that mean that my package (accommodation + park tickets) that i booked through Disney UK will not be covered as i think they are only ABTA bonded not ATOL as well, at least i don't think they are ATOL bonded. I thought i would be ok if i paid the balance via credit card.

Sorry i am even more confused now.
# 5
Engadine
Old 10-09-2008, 8:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What you have booked isn't classed as a package there are no flights included so not covered by an ATOL.

Walt Disney Travel Company are ABTA members but as Diamond Olly says that covers the travel firm, an ATOL covers packages.
Debt free since 31/01/08
2011 Competition Wins: March Ipod Nano, Bose Docking Station, £25 I-Tunes Card, Southern Comfort Mardi Gras Party Kit
# 6
poppie123
Old 10-09-2008, 8:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think i understand now,
So if i am right my trip booked with Disney would be ok if anything went wrong because they belong to ABTA and ABTA would then reimburse me so to speak if they went bust. Is that correct.??

For my flight i would have no protection whatsoever if i booked direct with the airline.
# 7
Engadine
Old 10-09-2008, 9:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you book flight only directly with an airline then you don't have protection under an ATOL. If you book with the airline using a credit card then you have protection from the credit card company.

There is information on the ABTA website regarding protection of travel arrangements

http://www.abta.com/consumer-service...l_arrangements
Debt free since 31/01/08
# 8
vikingaero
Old 10-09-2008, 9:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you have a Visa debit card you should technically be covered as Visa made all issuing banks give the same protection to customers as if they had used a Visa Credit Card.
# 9
annie s
Old 12-09-2008, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi i booked a flight last night with freedom flights (who are ATOL protected) with my visa debit card. I went to the bank today to see if i could stop the payment but they said the transaction had already been done, i asked could i claim it back with it being a visa debit and was told no i cant!! and to get in touch with ATOL is this right? i cant seem to get a straight answer!! thanks
# 10
annie s
Old 12-09-2008, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i should have added that Freedom Flights are part of XL airways group
# 11
Nicky321
Old 12-09-2008, 6:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie s View Post
Hi i booked a flight last night with freedom flights (who are ATOL protected) with my visa debit card. I went to the bank today to see if i could stop the payment but they said the transaction had already been done, i asked could i claim it back with it being a visa debit and was told no i cant!! and to get in touch with ATOL is this right? i cant seem to get a straight answer!! thanks
I would contact ATOL, there is a claimform for flights booked with XL through freedom flights...
This may be of help http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1804/Freed...Claim_Form.pdf
# 12
brian01
Old 12-09-2008, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

if you booked your flights with a VISA Debit Card you are probably covered read an article on www.bbc.co.uk/workinglunch then type in debit card this should explain everything
# 13
brian01
Old 12-09-2008, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

here is a link to the web site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/7347146.stm
# 14
mummytofour
Old 13-09-2008, 9:50 AM

Does anybody know if my halifax visa electron count?
Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
# 15
jmt
Old 13-09-2008, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello all,

I booked some flights (British Airways) to Atlanta for Easter next year (we will drive to Orlando as it's only 400 miles) with Dialaflight earlier this week.

I paid £100 (+ 1.95%) credit card fee as a deposit on my credit card and paid the balance of £800 by debit card the following day.

The guy at Dialaflight was extremely helpful and told us to pay £1 per person levy as a contribution to CAA for ATOL protection via the Aire Travel Trust Fund.

I therefore believe that I am protected should anything go wrong, but perhaps I am wrong - does anyone know?
# 16
dzug1
Old 13-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt View Post
Hello all,

I booked some flights (British Airways) to Atlanta for Easter next year (we will drive to Orlando as it's only 400 miles) with Dialaflight earlier this week.

I paid £100 (+ 1.95%) credit card fee as a deposit on my credit card and paid the balance of £800 by debit card the following day.

The guy at Dialaflight was extremely helpful and told us to pay £1 per person levy as a contribution to CAA for ATOL protection via the Aire Travel Trust Fund.

I therefore believe that I am protected should anything go wrong, but perhaps I am wrong - does anyone know?
You are covered twice - on your credit card (it's the total cost that matters, not the amount the card is used for) and by ATOL.
# 17
Feline-Fan
Old 01-04-2009, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggy back on the tail end of this one!

My holiday balance is due at the end of this month. It is with a large well known Travel Company, who are both ABTA and ATOL protected. I have booked a package holiday, ie. flight + accomodation

Am I safe paying by Debit Card - (thus avoiding the credit card charges)?

Also, if they were to go bust, before my holiday, would I get a full refund refund?

Thanks!
# 18
delwynshd
Old 01-04-2009, 3:44 PM

Default hi

Hi

Your fine to pay with debit card, even if the package is DIY as long as the airline is ATOL protected then your absolutely fine, I think there is alot of confusion on this subject amongst the public....

I mainly DIY we as a travel agent use ATOL proteted airlines and we have ABTA protection this therfore cover the customer.

However if the customer would like a cheaper holiday by using lets say Easyjet or Ryanair flights this would not be covered by ATOL therefore the customer could loose on the flights if they were to go bust...

Thanks
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline-Fan View Post
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggy back on the tail end of this one!

My holiday balance is due at the end of this month. It is with a large well known Travel Company, who are both ABTA and ATOL protected. I have booked a package holiday, ie. flight + accomodation

Am I safe paying by Debit Card - (thus avoiding the credit card charges)?

Also, if they were to go bust, before my holiday, would I get a full refund refund?

Thanks!
I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are V258X. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
The Following User Says Thank You to delwynshd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Feline-Fan
Old 01-04-2009, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for your very helpful and prompt reply!
# 20
mysuni
Old 07-04-2009, 7:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i was wondering about this today too as i don't have a cc. if i got a pre-pay cc would that work?
Closed Thread