Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 3rd Sep 08, 2:43 PM
    • 6,424Posts
    • 4,079Thanks
    cifpower
    Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer
    • 3rd Sep 08, 2:43 PM
    Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer 3rd Sep 08 at 2:43 PM
    I was subscribing to the 6 mixes but realised I only ever watched the Variety mix which contains Sky1, E4, UK Gold etc. So I range to cancel my subscription and was asked why. "Made redundant and trying to cut costs," say I. Then he asked questions like, "what made you subscribe to those channels in the first place?"

He then said Sky have a special offer for people suffering from the "credit crunch". You can choose 1 mix and pay just £3 a month for the next 3 months. I snapped his hand off!

Official MoneySavingExpert.com forum insert:

If you try this, do please let us know how you got on by posting below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 09-09-2008 at 8:21 PM.

Page 1
    • TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 3rd Sep 08, 2:50 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    TBeckett100
    • 3rd Sep 08, 2:50 PM
    • 3rd Sep 08, 2:50 PM
    so you rang to cancel what you didnt watch, only to pay a reduced amount for what you don't watch. I don't think you snapped his hand off.
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 3rd Sep 08, 3:13 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    dipsy
    • 3rd Sep 08, 3:13 PM
    • 3rd Sep 08, 3:13 PM
    1 mix is normally £17.00

so worth looking at if you want to save £14.00 a month for 3 months - If I am reading this correct???

Good spot if that is the case, thanks
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • blue_monkey
    • 3rd Sep 08, 3:58 PM
    • 3rd Sep 08, 3:58 PM
    I got movies for £3 a month for 3 months because I wanted to cancel them too. We did not watch that many films to warrant paying £15 a month but £3 is OK. I can cancel it after the 3 months is up. If you cancel and you have a sky+ box, anything that you have taped from the channels you no longer have to view (in our case movies) will be deleted from your Sky+ box!!
  • Mandles
    • 3rd Sep 08, 4:27 PM
    • 3rd Sep 08, 4:27 PM
    They rung and offered me a load of extra mixes for £1 more for 6 months. I was a new customer and only wanted sky 1 which i had so i think it is something that they are doing.
    • 2520years
    • By 2520years 4th Sep 08, 10:56 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    2520years
    • 4th Sep 08, 10:56 PM
    • 4th Sep 08, 10:56 PM
    They're able to give you an offer every six months, so I'd make a note in your diary and ring them every six months to see what they can offer you.
    • sportage1kia
    • By sportage1kia 4th Sep 08, 11:23 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    sportage1kia
    • 4th Sep 08, 11:23 PM
    • 4th Sep 08, 11:23 PM
    Hi there
    Just noticed your thread, I tried to cancell 2mixes plus Sports mix end July. They offered me a discount of £25 per month for 3 months for same package.
    Regards
    • niceguy_tourist
    • By niceguy_tourist 4th Sep 08, 11:42 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    niceguy_tourist
    • 4th Sep 08, 11:42 PM
    • 4th Sep 08, 11:42 PM
    I was subscribing to the 6 mixes but realised I only ever watched the Variety mix which contains Sky1, E4, UK Gold etc. So I range to cancel my subscription and was asked why. "Made redundant and trying to cut costs," say I. Then he asked questions like, "what made you subscribe to those channels in the first place?"

He then said Sky have a special offer for people suffering from the "credit crunch". You can choose 1 mix and pay just £3 a month for the next 3 months. I snapped his hand off!
    Originally posted by cifpower

I got this deal as well but have free broadband and free calls anytime included. So including bt line rental I am paying £14 for all three for three months. Didn't think I could get it much cheaper so accepted the offer.
  • welshnige
    • 5th Sep 08, 6:36 AM
    • 5th Sep 08, 6:36 AM
    I have a much cheaper offer, save yourself all the money by cancelling. Sky is over rated and expensive, cancelled mine twelve months ago and can honestly say we dont miss it at all.
    • Tripledrop
    • By Tripledrop 5th Sep 08, 9:55 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Tripledrop
    Good for you

Most people that posting in these threads, however, DO want Sky!

Couldn't live without the football, myself, the kids love Playhouse Disney & others, and the mrs loves all sorts of womens channels and the music.

I would much prefer to get rid of 1 - 5 (or at least BBC) and save myself money on the TV liscence if that was possible! Much more expensive, per channel!
    • stephen25uk
    • By stephen25uk 5th Sep 08, 9:21 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    stephen25uk
    Good for you

Most people that posting in these threads, however, DO want Sky!

Couldn't live without the football, myself, the kids love Playhouse Disney & others, and the mrs loves all sorts of womens channels and the music.

I would much prefer to get rid of 1 - 5 (or at least BBC) and save myself money on the TV liscence if that was possible! Much more expensive, per channel!
    Originally posted by Tripledrop
    i am with you on that...i dont mind paying for channels i choose to watch..i do mind paying a licence fee for channels i dont choose to watch
    DO NOT ARGUE WITH A FOOL,THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THERE LEVEL THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPIERENCE
  • spend spend spend
    We are all numb skulls! We pay SLY to watch subscription telly and get adverts rammed (I do mean RAMMED!) down our throats... licence fee is supposed to fund the 'no advert' BBC, were as ITV raise money through adverts, SKY do both...
    Everyone please cancel, you know it's better in the long run!, only got sly for the Broadband (Max @ a tenner, capped to 4mb), but that's cheaper now (o2?).

Not to mention the bombay brian that cannot do anything basic (like understanding my yorkshire accent , apart from increase your package!
  • stingylolo
    Got the Sky speak surf and talk for £26 a month (plus a bit extra for Sky + - Bless the guy who invented this), it saves us £20 a month for BT line, £25 a month on AOL broadband, and £20 odd pounds we were paying for sky. Everything works well, we're absolutely delighted. And I get to ring my parents in France every weekend so that they can hear little one go "goo goo ga " for ages.
    • geewhiz
    • By geewhiz 6th Sep 08, 8:50 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    geewhiz
    We are all numb skulls! We pay SLY to watch subscription telly and get adverts rammed (I do mean RAMMED!) down our throats... licence fee is supposed to fund the 'no advert' BBC, were as ITV raise money through adverts, SKY do both...
    Everyone please cancel, you know it's better in the long run!, only got sly for the Broadband (Max @ a tenner, capped to 4mb), but that's cheaper now (o2?).

Not to mention the bombay brian that cannot do anything basic (like understanding my yorkshire accent , apart from increase your package!
    Originally posted by spend spend spend
    Sky are excellent on the phone, have you ever tried speaking to Setanta !

And as for adverts, I've never watched them since I got Sky+
    • greatbridge
    • By greatbridge 6th Sep 08, 8:53 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greatbridge
    what thew best number to call sky on to see what they might give me ?
  • *twinkle*
    OH tried this week and they wouldn't offer us anything. They want £10 a month to keep sky + anyone better this?
    • tunnel
    • By tunnel 6th Sep 08, 10:41 AM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 7,500 Thanks
    tunnel
    buy yourself a motorized sat system,you can buy a "legal"subscription for a foreign network at less than half the cost of SLY'S yearly cost,including movies,sport....etc etc.I've had one for years now,much better value for money.
  • spend spend spend
    OH tried this week and they wouldn't offer us anything. They want £10 a month to keep sky + anyone better this?
    Originally posted by *twinkle*
    Thought sky+ was free now? as long as you have a basic package!
  • maka
    I was offered sky Hd for box £75.00 no installation charge and 50% discount on monthly charge
    LOVE LIFE PROCEED & PROGRESS
  • pinkgem
    we got half price sky sports for 3 months
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter