IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer
Closed Thread
Views: 213,974
# 1
cifpower
Old 03-09-2008, 2:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer

I was subscribing to the 6 mixes but realised I only ever watched the Variety mix which contains Sky1, E4, UK Gold etc. So I range to cancel my subscription and was asked why. "Made redundant and trying to cut costs," say I. Then he asked questions like, "what made you subscribe to those channels in the first place?"

He then said Sky have a special offer for people suffering from the "credit crunch". You can choose 1 mix and pay just £3 a month for the next 3 months. I snapped his hand off!

Official MoneySavingExpert.com forum insert:

If you try this, do please let us know how you got on by posting below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 09-09-2008 at 8:21 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cifpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
TBeckett100
Old 03-09-2008, 2:50 PM

so you rang to cancel what you didnt watch, only to pay a reduced amount for what you don't watch. I don't think you snapped his hand off.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TBeckett100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dipsy
Old 03-09-2008, 3:13 PM

1 mix is normally 17.00

so worth looking at if you want to save 14.00 a month for 3 months - If I am reading this correct???

Good spot if that is the case, thanks
2007 1749
2008 291.99
2009 JanMasscara 7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 20 XFactor tkts x 2 58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation 7.99
total so far for 09 92.99
# 4
blue_monkey
Old 03-09-2008, 3:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I got movies for 3 a month for 3 months because I wanted to cancel them too. We did not watch that many films to warrant paying 15 a month but 3 is OK. I can cancel it after the 3 months is up. If you cancel and you have a sky+ box, anything that you have taped from the channels you no longer have to view (in our case movies) will be deleted from your Sky+ box!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_monkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Mandles
Old 03-09-2008, 4:27 PM

They rung and offered me a load of extra mixes for 1 more for 6 months. I was a new customer and only wanted sky 1 which i had so i think it is something that they are doing.
# 6
2520years
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They're able to give you an offer every six months, so I'd make a note in your diary and ring them every six months to see what they can offer you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2520years For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
sportage1kia
Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there
Just noticed your thread, I tried to cancell 2mixes plus Sports mix end July. They offered me a discount of 25 per month for 3 months for same package.
Regards
# 8
niceguy_tourist
Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifpower View Post
I was subscribing to the 6 mixes but realised I only ever watched the Variety mix which contains Sky1, E4, UK Gold etc. So I range to cancel my subscription and was asked why. "Made redundant and trying to cut costs," say I. Then he asked questions like, "what made you subscribe to those channels in the first place?"

He then said Sky have a special offer for people suffering from the "credit crunch". You can choose 1 mix and pay just 3 a month for the next 3 months. I snapped his hand off!

I got this deal as well but have free broadband and free calls anytime included. So including bt line rental I am paying 14 for all three for three months. Didn't think I could get it much cheaper so accepted the offer.
# 9
welshnige
Old 05-09-2008, 6:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a much cheaper offer, save yourself all the money by cancelling. Sky is over rated and expensive, cancelled mine twelve months ago and can honestly say we dont miss it at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welshnige For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Tripledrop
Old 05-09-2008, 9:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Good for you

Most people that posting in these threads, however, DO want Sky!

Couldn't live without the football, myself, the kids love Playhouse Disney & others, and the mrs loves all sorts of womens channels and the music.

I would much prefer to get rid of 1 - 5 (or at least BBC) and save myself money on the TV liscence if that was possible! Much more expensive, per channel!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tripledrop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
stephen25uk
Old 05-09-2008, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripledrop View Post
Good for you

Most people that posting in these threads, however, DO want Sky!

Couldn't live without the football, myself, the kids love Playhouse Disney & others, and the mrs loves all sorts of womens channels and the music.

I would much prefer to get rid of 1 - 5 (or at least BBC) and save myself money on the TV liscence if that was possible! Much more expensive, per channel!
i am with you on that...i dont mind paying for channels i choose to watch..i do mind paying a licence fee for channels i dont choose to watch
DO NOT ARGUE WITH A FOOL,THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THERE LEVEL THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPIERENCE
The Following User Says Thank You to stephen25uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
spend spend spend
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We are all numb skulls! We pay SLY to watch subscription telly and get adverts rammed (I do mean RAMMED!) down our throats... licence fee is supposed to fund the 'no advert' BBC, were as ITV raise money through adverts, SKY do both...
Everyone please cancel, you know it's better in the long run!, only got sly for the Broadband (Max @ a tenner, capped to 4mb), but that's cheaper now (o2?).

Not to mention the bombay brian that cannot do anything basic (like understanding my yorkshire accent , apart from increase your package!
The Following User Says Thank You to spend spend spend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
stingylolo
Old 06-09-2008, 7:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Got the Sky speak surf and talk for 26 a month (plus a bit extra for Sky + - Bless the guy who invented this), it saves us 20 a month for BT line, 25 a month on AOL broadband, and 20 odd pounds we were paying for sky. Everything works well, we're absolutely delighted. And I get to ring my parents in France every weekend so that they can hear little one go "goo goo ga " for ages.
The Following User Says Thank You to stingylolo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
geewhiz
Old 06-09-2008, 8:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spend spend spend View Post
We are all numb skulls! We pay SLY to watch subscription telly and get adverts rammed (I do mean RAMMED!) down our throats... licence fee is supposed to fund the 'no advert' BBC, were as ITV raise money through adverts, SKY do both...
Everyone please cancel, you know it's better in the long run!, only got sly for the Broadband (Max @ a tenner, capped to 4mb), but that's cheaper now (o2?).

Not to mention the bombay brian that cannot do anything basic (like understanding my yorkshire accent , apart from increase your package!
Sky are excellent on the phone, have you ever tried speaking to Setanta !

And as for adverts, I've never watched them since I got Sky+
The Following User Says Thank You to geewhiz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
greatbridge
Old 06-09-2008, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

what thew best number to call sky on to see what they might give me ?
# 16
*twinkle*
Old 06-09-2008, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

OH tried this week and they wouldn't offer us anything. They want 10 a month to keep sky + anyone better this?
# 17
tunnel
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

buy yourself a motorized sat system,you can buy a "legal"subscription for a foreign network at less than half the cost of SLY'S yearly cost,including movies,sport....etc etc.I've had one for years now,much better value for money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tunnel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
spend spend spend
Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by *twinkle* View Post
OH tried this week and they wouldn't offer us anything. They want 10 a month to keep sky + anyone better this?
Thought sky+ was free now? as long as you have a basic package!
# 19
maka
Old 06-09-2008, 1:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

I was offered sky Hd for box 75.00 no installation charge and 50% discount on monthly charge
LOVE LIFE PROCEED & PROGRESS
# 20
pinkgem
Old 06-09-2008, 1:53 PM

we got half price sky sports for 3 months
Closed Thread