debt collector letters for previous tenant

Options
Hey all

Im recieving debt collection letters for a previous tenant- this has been ongoing from when i moved in in sept, i returned the collection letters to the bank and then when i started getting debt collector letters i returned those as well- but still kept getting them

i called them 7 times in total- each time i was told the letters woul stop but of course they didnt.

the latest came today- a door collector letter:eek: !!!

what more can i do? if i get my landlord to confirm in writing that this guy doesnt live there would that stop the letters?

im so annoyed- having to do all this phoning round is driving me insane!!
Northern Ireland member 324- getting hitched Sept 2012!:j:j

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Just keep returning them to sender with "no longer at this address" written on the envelope
  • michilin27
    michilin27 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    How long does it take? i have been returning them since sept! thats almost a yr!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Just keep returning them.

If it is not your debt, then there is F all they can do. ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • leicsmarkyr
    Options
    How do you know they are letters from a debt agency? Are you opening them and seeing what they are: if so you are breaking the law by 'tampering with another person's mail'.

If any letter appears in the post with Mr / Mrs / Miss 'X', i.e. not you just leave unopened and write "addressee no longer at this address" and pop in the nearest post box
  • michilin27
    Options
    How do you know they are letters from a debt agency? Are you opening them and seeing what they are: if so you are breaking the law by 'tampering with another person's mail'.

From the postal services act 2006 on interfering with mail:

<H4>Section 84: Interfering with the mail: general

</B>
    127. Section 84(1) provides for it to be an offence if persons intentionally delay or open postal packets without reasonable excuse. It amalgamates the content of offences previously included in the Post Office Act 1953.
    128. Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.
    129. Subsections (2) and (4) specify a number of cases that are not to be regarded as offences under the section.
    </H4>
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you write a strongly worded letter saying the following :

(a) The debt is not yours and belongs to a previous tenant

(b) You have no legal responsibility whatsoever for this debt.

(c) You do not wish to be contacted by them again under any circumstances.

(d) Should they not adhere to your request in (c) above, then they will be deemed to be harrassing you with no valid reason and will be reported to Trading Standards, The Office of Fair Trading and the local police.

Then they will not trouble you again.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    as your landlord to sort it out. it aint your problem.
  • heppy23
    heppy23 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cifpower wrote: »
    Just keep returning them to sender with "no longer at this address" written on the envelope

That's the best thing to do. Do NOT open them that's illegal as other have pointed out.
    Do NOT enter into correspondence with any of the companies as they may think you are the previous tenant up to something and will persist or escalate the action.

At work we took over an industrial unit where the previous tenant had done a bunk.
    I ended up printing off a few sheets of stickers with "gone away, whereabouts unknown". Stick it over the address it has come to otherwise you might get the postie trying to send it to you again!!
  • jscalow
    jscalow Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    I work in this profession and the letters are sent automatically.
    -don't worry about it, its nothing to do with you.
    -either mark "not know @ addr" and return to sender , or,
    -place in recycling container and have a nice day.
  • michilin27
    Options
    jscalow wrote: »
    I work in this profession and the letters are sent automatically.
    -don't worry about it, its nothing to do with you.
    -either mark "not know @ addr" and return to sender , or,
    -place in recycling container and have a nice day.

i have been returning these for the last 11 months- its really frustrating! im not worried about the debt affecting me- i know it doesnt

can u adv a bit more of what happens when items are returned to yourselves?how long do you persist in sending the letters?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport