Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

apprentice tycoon
    Getting to know you........
    • 4th May 05, 8:58 AM
    Getting to know you........ 4th May 05 at 8:58 AM
    I'm just curious to ask what all the 'old style' contributors do when not contributing.
    I expect that there a good number of stay at home full time parents, maybe some of us work at home, perhaps some are part-time workers that can use the computer at work or at home or both. I guess also that there are some students out there and I'm really intrigued by the people that post after midnight, are they shift workers or night owls?

Just to start the ball rolling - I work at home as a full time ebayer selling china and antiques (that is - should be working when I stop cruising around MSE) and our family is late teens /early 20's so don't need too much attention, just money, both are still in full-time education which is one reason why I'm here constantly searching for ways to make ends meet. We have consoled ourselves with the idea that we can be a drain their finances when we are old and doddery We have 4 wonderful cats, one ginger tom plus a tabby mum and her 2 boys, one is creamy beige the other is black /white /tabby

I'm coming up to 50 (where did the last 25 years go?) My husband works at home too, which is great, we can take time off together but in practice rarely do as we're too busy trying to keep a large pack of wolves from the door. I love my kitchen garden which keeps us self sufficient in strawberries, summer veggies and salads.
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 17-09-2005 at 5:42 PM.
Page 2
  • studentnurse
    Student Nurse - About to enter my third year at northumbria uni.
    I love this site and this board is one of my faves tho Ive yet to try out the monthly challenges - I love to read about how you are all doing.
    Im more of a lurker than a poster Im afraid to say lol, but feel like I know some of you quite well
  • Lucie
    I am a full time manager for a corporate fitness company. It's not particularly challenging, so I have to fill my days somehow! A new laptop & broadband at home have upped my MSE quota recently.
  • MATH
    OOOHHH I love being nosey but am far too polite to ask. Thanks for this thread.
    I started out a fresh faced Graphic Designer in 1986 and ended up a stay at home Dad of the three MATHLETS via General Office Manager, Hair Colourist, Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator, Playscheme Manager and many other unplanned detours.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Mango
    i've recently started my 2nd job in publishing. am hoping to do teacher training very soon though (once all my debts are paid off!), thanks to MSE it will be sooner than I hoped!!
  • trafalgar
    Full-time lazy bones,retired early and hoping Savvy will work long enough to give me a good pension:rolleyes:

I am so in trouble when she sees that
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th May 05, 1:24 PM
    • 12,489 Posts
    • 47,044 Thanks
    I am a full time wife and a mother of 5 (although i only have 3 left at home). I have tried going out to work, but it didnt work out very well.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
  • rushnowt
    I'm a full time MSE surfer

Well I try to be, when I'm not a Mum to 5 kids all still at home Ohh yea and the hubby, nearly forgot about him (I must try harder :rolleyes: ) moved to a farm just over a yr ago, so animals galore and still stocking up, i try to run a stables and kennels too but with so much to do and read on here, my time is limited
    Last edited by rushnowt; 06-05-2005 at 11:27 AM.
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing

• ms_london
    Im a 24 year old girl, living & working in London - trying to pay off a debt at the moment, hence why I hang around on this site & the site. I have learnt so much, and although it has been hard going through this, it has made me a much better person & now I am so financially savvy, it's something that will stay with me for the rest of my life!! I enjoy reading the grocery challenges & Pin Money Challenges, and am fascinated with other people's lives :0) Even once my debt is paid off (5th Dec 05) I will still be here, lurking & posting. I love it!! :0)
  • mrsmab59
    Single (widowed) mum to 2 sons of 21 and 12. Tried going back to work after 19 years as a full time stay at home mum but it was way too scary so I gave it up after a while and became an MSE'er instead. I don't feel guilty or lazy because I do all my own DIY, gardening, fixing things etc. Plus my dogs love me being at home and I get to read the newspaper on the day I buy it
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 4th May 05, 2:24 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 24,464 Thanks
    I work part-time for an after school club. Kids are fully grown now 27yr and 21yrs so just OH and 2 cats to look after. Have CFS so am cutting down on my hours but am learning card making and want to have a go at scrap booking as I have a draw full of old photos! Love to bake especially cookies but try to do this only when kids at home as OH and I will have to start diets soon so we don't frighten people while on our hols!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.
  • Ticklemouse
    Am currently a SAHM to 6yo and 2 yo boys plus 37yo boy (who's the hardest work ) I also do after school child care for neighbours and do the school runs for other mums (that's the trouble with having a MPV) I am now both my parent's carers (mum disabled, dad terminally ill) and if I get a spare moment I do mystery shopping to try and earn a crust or two. Then, when I have another spare second, I live on here. Good job both mine and mum & dads PC is always on - this keeps me sane.

Now, hobbies........
  • foreverskint
    full time mum of 4 now. Was driving buses until a couple of years ago, and have previously been a chef and lots of other boring jobs.
    Now enjoying being at home, baking bread and cooking lovely meals for the family, gardening and looking after the DP. Some people have some fascinating sounding jobs!
    • little_lil
    • By little_lil 4th May 05, 3:28 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    full-time mother to boy of four. Used to work, intially fulltime and then part time, giving up to be a mum was the best thing I ever did. We don't seem to be any worse off now than when i worked. Must be all that money saving we do now!
    • Miroslav
    • By Miroslav 4th May 05, 5:12 PM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 13,310 Thanks
    I'm off work sick and about to start psychotherapy. Been in and out of work for years and need to sort some issues out (mainly death of partner and child) if I'm to make it in this world.

I hope to return to work later this year If i gain confidence
  • pandas66
    Hi, more or less full time (34hours) accounts manager of a plastics Co. - all thoses trades men and still can't find a plumber!. Single mum to 2 boys 12/14, debt free apart from the mortgage. Walker of dog, stacker of dishwasher and taxi driver. Wishing the days away till my hols in Aug.
    Hi to all and pleased to meet you and yours.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th May 05, 6:38 PM
    • 11,592 Posts
    • 29,987 Thanks
    Thanks to those who posted a reply to me, it wasn't meant for 'replies' I was just adding to the convo Now I am embarrassed

Brave - nah, Confident - more like blind confidence and that link works, i just thought it was purple
    by Miroslav
    You did add to the convo with your life which is what this thread is all about. We think we all have problems in our lives and then we meet someone (Virtually even) that has much more going on and much more to cope with. Dont be embarrassed cos thats some stuff you are having to deal with. Respect xx

Me? I have my own business which is based at home though often takes me to other clients sites. When I am at home I should be designing work and planning sales campaigns - what am I really doing? Finding out the new best recipe for a slow cooker and having far too much beer with my mates in the Arms!
  • reverie
    I work long hours as a facilities manager for a firm of surveyors, keeping tenants happy and buildings looking good. Aside from that I am a gym-dropout, trying to make my way as a happy singleton. I am also about to take up growing veg and keeping chickens! Yay! Am working loads and am here saving money to try and retire when I am 40 to bum around the world
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 4th May 05, 7:00 PM
    • 4,224 Posts
    • 19,375 Thanks
    I'm a student teacher, finishing my course this July so I should really be looking for jobs rather than surfing MSE! Live and feed with my dear boyfriend/partner/fiance (whatever) who is 29 and "works" - apparently.
  • frizz_head
    Hello my name is Frizz, I work part-time (25 hours a week) for an IT company, am a mother to two school age kids, and I am an MSE Addict (approx 1000 hours a week).

Mr Frizz hates MSE with a passion - as he has been missing it (passion) ever since I joined.

Cue: Group Hugs
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
  • tootles
    I am one half of a retired couple on very limited income, hence my thoughts on one penny doing the work of two.

When working I was a chef, trained originally as a nurse, but a back injury put paid to that.

Had 4 children and a fulltime job when I was working, so organisation was the watchword and that has carried over into life as a retiree, still stick to working out a monthly menu, and shopping once a month for staples.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,768Posts Today

8,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The news on the labour party is quite incredible. There are more divisions than a GCSE maths paper. How can it survive like this?

• Technology fail totally nullifying an interogatory interview on @Channel4News not easy to haul someone over the coals when they can't hear u

• Just home after GMB, This Morning, filming for my show, student loan fightback (internal) meeting, ideal home speech and TV roadshow!

• Follow Martin