Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 4th Jul 08, 8:53 PM
    • 11,884Posts
    • 24,112Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    • 4th Jul 08, 8:53 PM
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs 4th Jul 08 at 8:53 PM
    General message to all compers:

Questions are answered more quickly in the
    The Compers Chat Corner Board which is a sub board of the Competitions Time Forum.

This thread is best used for alerting compers to new tips/hints - also means I can throw them into the main Guide at the start of this thread if they aren't already in there. Thanks

Introduction

The following Guide has been put together by shamelessly stealing good ideas posted in this forum by MSE Compers. To all those who have contributed (unknowingly) to this Guide, by sharing their hints, tips & great ideas within various threads, I hope your Comping Kharma is increased & may the Comping Fairy sprinkle winning dust over you!

If you are after general information about how the forum software works & how to do things then there is an excellent guide here Beginner's Guide to the forums

If you are looking for tips on how best to search this forum please refer to How do I search to see if a comp has been posted? below

Before you go any further can I please direct you to READ the Basic Rules About the Competitions Forum. This will help you to understand & give you a better idea of what can & can’t be done in this Forum.

WARNING: Comping can become extremely addictive!

How to use this Guide
    You can either read through the whole Guide at your leisure or if you see a question in the list below that you would like the answer to, simply click on the section title for that question & you will be taken directly to that section of the Guide. (I was hoping to be able to take you to the question itself but unfortunately this forum has HTML off which means I can't use HTML anchors, sorry!)

This Guide focuses on different topics & will suggest ways to achieve a particular result. As with most things there are multiple ways of, For Example, adding a signature, etc. I have mainly focused on one particular way.

Initial Information

1 How do you win all this stuff?
    2 How many comps do you enter a day? / How long do you spend entering comps?
    3 How much can I expect to win?
    4 Do you only enter comps from this site? / What about comping mags that you pay for?
    5 How long did you have to wait for your first win?
    6 Do you keep a list of what you enter?
    7 Do you keep a list of what you win?
    8 I'm worried about identity theft from giving out my personal details to enter comps, what do you suggest?
    9 How do you stop loads of spam in your email inbox?
    10 How do you stop loads of spam coming via post to your door?
    11 If you opt in or out of their mailing / 3rd party mailings, does it affect your chances?

Getting Started (I)

1 I want to enter comps, what should I do first? / Where do I start?!
    2 Why can't I search for comps that are ending on a certain date?
    3 Does the email address I use affect my chances of winning a comp?
    4 How many times do you enter a comp?
    5 How do you enter so many? / Is there a way to save me having to type in all my info time after time?
    6 Should I put my home number?
    7 A comp site wants me to register before I can enter, what should I do?

Getting Started (II)

1 Does it matter what sex you are for entering comps?
    2 How do I keep track of which comps I've entered and what are the green ticks and red crosses for?
    3 When I closed that comp window, there was another window behind it advertising another comp! Shall I enter?
    4 How do I solve the puzzle or answer the question?
    5 I've found a comp I'd like to enter, what should I be aware of?
    6 What tips are there for when I enter an email comp?
    7 What tips are there for when I enter a postcard entry comp?
    8 Are there any comps that can be entered regularly?
    9 Can I enter the radio station / newspaper comps on more than one of the radio station / newspaper websites?
    10 What does it mean when someone posts on a thread 'Check your thanks'?

More Advanced

1 What do I do if I see a comp which has already expired / been posted on here? / How do I send a merge request to a Board Guide?
    2 There is a closed comp on the main board, should I do anything?
    3 There is a spam post on the main board, should I do anything?
    4 Sometimes there seems to be the same comp & question on lots of different sites, can I enter them all?
    5 Do you have any tips for entering Rafflecopter comps?
    6 Do you have any tips for the multiple entry comps (Like Real Deal or Golden Balls, etc)?
    7 Do you have any tips for the multiple answer comps (Like Radio Times, Take a Break, Pick Me Up Magazine, Chat Puzzles, etc)
    8 I don't understand the Puzzler thread, there are lots of comps in there but how I do enter them?
    9 Is there an easier way to enter the daily magazine comps that you have 5 or so questions to answer 'No Thanks' to?

Winning

1 How long after a comp closes are you notified?
    2 How are winners contacted? / What does the comping jargon actually mean?
    3 Do I have to check if I've won or do I get contacted?
    4 If I win & they ask for money / have to attend a presentation, have I won?
    5 How will I know if it is a genuine prize winning letter / call / email?
    6 OMG! I've won, where can I share my great news?
    7 What happens if my prize doesn't turn up?
    8 Is there anywhere to swap / sell unwanted prizes on here?
    9 How can I put what I've won into the bottom of my posts?
    10 If I win with a company does that stop me winning from them again?

Posting Comps

1 How can I find comps to post on here, I've entered loads & want to give some back?
    2 How do I search to see if a comp has been posted?
    3 What is an affiliate link?
    4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    5 Why am I unable to post a link/URL for a comp?
    6 How do I post a comp on here?
    7 How can I amend my thread title if I need to?
    8 How can I delete my post if I need to?
    9 How do I do a 'clicky' instead of putting the full URL?
    10 How can I put a picture in my post?
    11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?

I have a question which hasn't been covered here, what should I do?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by VelvetGlove; 10-04-2016 at 6:28 PM.
    Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
Page 3
    • josie301
    • By josie301 23rd Aug 08, 11:05 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 156,284 Thanks
    josie301
    The only advice I have left to offer is perhaps not to be so specific in the search criteria - I never use advanced search and only put in 1 or 2 key words, never the full url (I was surprised that worked for so many people actually)

I have started adding what I searched to find the original comps when marking duplicates so peole get an idea of what to search for.

hth
    Jo x
    2007:£5181.09 2008: £6619.70 2009: £4284.49 2010: £5213.14 2011: £4980.62 2012: £3188.52

• Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 23rd Aug 08, 11:05 PM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I search for the URL, eg ones I just posted today, I searched for them, and also key words, so now making this up, if there was a "Win a case of Bulmers cider with HMV" comp, I'd do "Bulmers", see what came up, "HMV" and see what came up as well, and also "cider". I search in the little box at the top RH corner and click the forums button so it does not search the main site, and also on the search tab under the welcome bit...and some come up which is why I don't post them but all the comps I post, they come up as not being there already...
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 23rd Aug 08, 11:08 PM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Josie, I don't even know what an advanced search is so I am sure I am not doing them!! I don't think this is the place to go into all the rest of it, only focus on the matter in hand...I just think some people can be insensitive and tactless and it can be very upsetting, offputting and intimidating. I shan't say more as there is no point and I don't want to get ill again.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 23rd Aug 08, 11:24 PM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I do search that way, to the letter. And it does not always work, as is admitted in the post itself. This is not a place to start the personal attacks again.
    • toniq
    • By toniq 23rd Aug 08, 11:32 PM
    • 27,255 Posts
    • 552,714 Thanks
    toniq
    No one wants to attack u FE, just help u too to use the forum in a way that we all do xxx why not spend some time going through all the buttons like i did when i first started i literally clicked on each one to see what it done!, familiarise yourself with everything and practice, soon it will be second nature. Dont make yourself ill over this its just a learning curve xxxx
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 23rd Aug 08, 11:51 PM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Could you add Craftmatic Beds to the list of spammy sites, please?
    Originally posted by lilias
    Have read the links & yeps they are added - what awful practices the salemen have! Scum! Thanks for alerting us to them lilias
    Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 24th Aug 08, 12:04 AM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    I don't even know what an advanced search is so I am sure I am not doing them!!
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    FE - the Comping Guide takes you step by step through the Advanced Search with screen shots to help you along the way. You may be doing them without realising as you say you've read & followed the Guide :confused:

The only thing I can add to what has been mentioned by other members is perhaps try the search just using the domain name. So in non techie that is:

I've just grabbed a random comp from the forum list. The link for the competition is: http://www.toyhound.co.uk/comp.php?source=NUK for £100 worth of ELC Vouchers.

When searching I would try an Advanced Search for: toyhound.co.uk - that brings back quite a few comps so I'd either scan down the list or search for toyhound.co.uk voucher (8 results) & also toyhound.co.uk £100 (2 results) to narrow it down. (If you want to try that search to see if you get the same results?)

I'm hoping this has helped a little? As Toni says, this is meant to be fun, not something to get worked up over or ill. If I'm online (little green light under my name) then feel free to pm me with a comp & I'll help with a second search if you want, so you can feel better about posting it? Not saying that any of us are perfect but sometimes another pair of eyes can help
    • littleholly
    • By littleholly 24th Aug 08, 9:02 AM
    • 5,563 Posts
    • 81,472 Thanks
    littleholly
    I do search that way, to the letter. And it does not always work, as is admitted in the post itself. This is not a place to start the personal attacks again.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    I don't know how you can say that you're being personally attacked. You create these scenarios by asking why the search doesn't work for you. The search works fine for most of us and people have posted helpful advice to guide you but you always say 'thats how I already do it'.
    If you've read the guide and other peoples advice and the search still doesn't work for you then I really don't know what else to suggest. :confused:

NOW IN COMPING SEMI-RETIREMENT!
    AL MAC APPRECIATION SOCIETY MEMBER NO: 550 748
  • ontopicmagazine
    Question!
    Hello there

We run a website and we want to post our own competition! Although I can't see it in the rules, I understand that this is frowned upon in MSE-land (i'm looking at this post specifically - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1114973). We're not evil spammers, and it's a genuine competition... any ideas about what we can do?.. Please feel free to delete/move this post if I'm unwittingly breaking any more rules!

Cath
    • Cheeky Chicken
    • By Cheeky Chicken 24th Aug 08, 4:21 PM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 152,300 Thanks
    Cheeky Chicken
    Hello there

We run a website and we want to post our own competition! Although I can't see it in the rules, I understand that this is frowned upon in MSE-land (i'm looking at this post specifically - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1114973). We're not evil spammers, and it's a genuine competition... any ideas about what we can do?.. Please feel free to delete/move this post if I'm unwittingly breaking any more rules!

Cath
    Originally posted by ontopicmagazine
    Hi, it's not in this guide because it's not a comp-specific rule, but a general MSE one (no promoting your own site/services)

I think you'll find the comp from your site has been posted recently though

Cheeky
    Al Mac Appreciation Society (AMAS) member # 6Ĺ
    This Will Be Mine 2009 Member #5 I just want to win a new iPod please
    Member of the missing kipper club
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 25th Aug 08, 5:00 PM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    The Guide has been updated with some new smilies which Cheeky Chicken created for us to use. Hopefully this will help the forum come together more with less misunderstandings when just plain words are used

Thanks CC!
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 25th Aug 08, 5:07 PM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    A quick tip about googling for your name to see if you have won comps - google alert is a great feature, you can set it to search for a set phrase every day and it will email you when it finds a new site. I have mine set to search for my name everyday and it works really well, it does help that I have an unusual name I suppose!

This is the link:
    http://www.google.com/alerts
    Originally posted by chickaroonee
    I've been using this since you posted about it chickaroonee & it really does work like a charm! It flags up quite a few results which aren't comp wins but it did let me know that my recent Elemis win was now on site - if the email had gone astray or into my junk & I'd missed it then I could have gotten straight onto the site concerned Nice one, thanks for sharing it with us all

It's now included in the Guide
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 1st Sep 08, 8:57 PM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Please note that I've just updated post 8 with the smilies which we can all use to politely let other compers know 'stuff' Feel free to copy & use as required
  • Naughtynat
    I am having real problems downloading roboform and google toolbar. I am clicking on RUN and it is coming up as a security warning for both. Can anyone offer any advice?
    Competition wins in 2009 - Nothing so far :confused:
    • Mamzie
    • By Mamzie 6th Sep 08, 11:37 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    Mamzie
    Maybe ask in the comp discussion thread as more people will see it there. I know I've had lots of help with roboform and forefox in that thread.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 7th Sep 08, 11:20 AM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Couple of updates made to the Comping Guide :
    1. EMAP radio stations seem to have changed their name to Bauer Group radio stations - amended on Getting Started (II) section, item 9 Can I enter the radio station / newspaper comps on more than one of the radio station / newspaper websites? Thanks to s0ulassasin for finding the name change!
    2. A couple more sites added to the spammy sites list - amended on Posting Comps section, item 9 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam? Thanks to rrickuk for his pm telling me about more sites!
    3. Re-worded the Guide in light of no more 'Comps Ending...' threads & also the fantastic way posters are strictly adhering to theEnd Date Convention or other compers are asking them to edit their titles - amended on Getting Started (I), items: 1 I want to enter comps, what should I do first? / Where do I start?! & also 2 Why canít I search for comps that are ending on a certain date? Thanks everyone!
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 7th Sep 08, 11:24 AM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    I am having real problems downloading roboform and google toolbar. I am clicking on RUN and it is coming up as a security warning for both. Can anyone offer any advice?
    Originally posted by Naughtynat
    Hi naughtynat

Security warning sounds quite dire! Do you know what the exact wording was please as with that then we may be able to shed some light on the issue?

Also, when you download any add-ons a box usually comes up saying something like 'are you sure you want to run this program - is it from a reputable source?'. If that was the error message then it should be quite OK to carry on as long as you downloaded them from a reliable place

Sorry I didn't reply to this last night, I'm gradually trying to work my way through the Regular Competitions sub forum too & I wasn't looking around on the rest of the forum
  • Naughtynat
    Hi naughtynat

Security warning sounds quite dire! Do you know what the exact wording was please as with that then we may be able to shed some light on the issue?

Also, when you download any add-ons a box usually comes up saying something like 'are you sure you want to run this program - is it from a reputable source?'. If that was the error message then it should be quite OK to carry on as long as you downloaded them from a reliable place

Sorry I didn't reply to this last night, I'm gradually trying to work my way through the Regular Competitions sub forum too & I wasn't looking around on the rest of the forum
    Originally posted by VelvetGlove
    I am clicking on this link http://www.download.com/RoboForm/300...dlPid=10476591 which was provided by another a MSE user. When I click on the link I have a download now option.

When I click on it, it says 'File Download - Security Warning' Do you want to run or save this file? Then I have the potions to save, run or cancel. Then it says that files from the internet can be useful, but this type can be harmful to my pc.

Anyway, when I click on RUN, it comes up again with the security warning and askes me again if i want to run the file. The hour glass comes up then it says 'AiRoboForm[1].exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 7th Sep 08, 8:14 PM
    • 11,884 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Thanks for replying I'll just wait until BF is off the phone (parents called him & it is his weekly catch up call) & I'll get him to take a look so I know what I'm talking about So useful to have a techy BF as I pimp him out all over the place

Hopefully back to you with a suggestion in a few
  • Naughtynat
    Thanks for replying I'll just wait until BF is off the phone (parents called him & it is his weekly catch up call) & I'll get him to take a look so I know what I'm talking about So useful to have a techy BF as I pimp him out all over the place

Hopefully back to you with a suggestion in a few
    Originally posted by VelvetGlove
    Ahhhh, thank you sooooo much for all your help! xxxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,697Posts Today

6,788Users online

Martin's Twitter