4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Options

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GIRLPOWER wrote:
    Not if they are a pool vehicle! plus you could have already claimed more than that back on VAT in the first 12 months.

True. And claiming the VAT back will continue as before.

But its a bit of a bugg*r to justify to the revenue when they pop into the company one day to do an audit (and they do!) and ask where the Warrior (reg no ******) is and where it resides at night etc and can I see the driver log for it please, sir. Besides have you actually been in one/driven one for a long distance ? Money saving for the time being - yes, comfy motoring - not a chance.

MTC HissyClaw.gif
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    True.

But its a bit of a !!!!!! to justify to the revenue when they pop into the company one day to do an audit (and they do!) and ask where the Warrior (reg no ******) is and where it resides at night etc and can I see the driver log for it please, sir. Besides have you actually been in one/driven one for a long distance ? Money saving for the time being - yes, comfy motoring - not a chance.

MTC HissyClaw.gif

Your not also known as Mr Brown are you?????:D

Went to scotland the other weekend (business of course!) and travelled about 1300 miles in 4 days and did not have any problems. it's a nice drive. Also it's great in the snow. But to be totally honest i would prefer a little run around you can park anywhere.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Options
    GIRLPOWER wrote:
    Your not also known as Mr Brown are you?????:D

Went to scotland the other weekend (business of course!) and travelled about 1300 miles in 4 days and did not have any problems. it's a nice drive. Also it's great in the snow. But to be totally honest i would prefer a little run around you can park anywhere.

no I'm not Mr Brown, but I know of a business collegue who got caught out on exactly the same thing and a friend of mine that got "accused" of taxi cabbing at weekends in his company car because his fuel records weren't up to date.

I hope your "business" trip was successful for you and I'm glad that your "truck" worrks out well for you comfort wise. I could not get on with one though so I take the company car tax hit on my saloon car.

little run arounds are great for easy parking, but not nearly as much fun for 1300 mile round trips !

cheerio

MTC HissyClaw.gif
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    To a perdestrian in general bull bars are very dangerous. Bull bars are made to protect the front (eg the radiator) of the vehicle when pushing/nudgeing odjects, so they are made from hard materials such as steel to take the force and impact of these occassions.
    In the design of them the perdestrein was not considered. They cause so much damage due to the fact that they are higher then a bumber, but also they are made of metal. So they dont have the ridgity of a bumber, so the whole force of the impact is felt by the perdestrian.

Oh, I see.
    First of all the argument against bullbars is that they are at the height of a child's head.
    Then when that argument is shown for the silly statement that it is, you change it around.

Well thought out debate this. Innuendo, personal bias...
    How's this one then.
    You can huff and you can puff but you cannot, Ken Livingstone cannot, the Government cannot, ban 4x4s.
    There are too many of them already out there.
  • meggie-lizzie
    Options
    Well, am I confused or what!!!
    I drive a Landrover Freelander, do the school run every !!! (well as a teacher it is part of my contract!) The main reason I have one is I live in a little village at the end of a lane, we have 3 roads entering our village, all hills! So do I buy a Fiesta and not not turn up to work (wouldn't all the parents who work love their kids being sent home due to lack of staff?) or stick to a 4x4? I have never yet been late for work due to inclement weather. On a more practical level, I respect the environment, recycle where possible, don't waste resources, so why should I be blasted as to the vehicle I choose. Am I risk to society, I pay the taxes etc to drive my vehicle, I respect other road users and am not a 'Boy Racer' (my kids tell me I drive like an old woman!) Answers on a postage stamp! What rights have we got left if we take away the freedom of choice?
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    110frankie wrote:
    Oh, I see.
    First of all the argument against bullbars is that they are at the height of a child's head.
    Then when that argument is shown for the silly statement that it is, you change it around.

He never turned it around at all, he said just mearly explain bullbars in general. They are classed at being at head height because they are about 1 ft in width and in child height that is a lot, I have a 5 year old and it would certainly be at head height for him, also for my 9 year old brother probably. At least if you get hit by one you would only have a shattered pelvis to worry about. :rolleyes:

If you can't see why bullbars are a bad thing, you really don't have much consideration to others
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • iwanttosave_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, am I confused or what!!!
    I drive a Landrover Freelander, do the school run every !!! (well as a teacher it is part of my contract!) The main reason I have one is I live in a little village at the end of a lane, we have 3 roads entering our village, all hills! So do I buy a Fiesta and not not turn up to work (wouldn't all the parents who work love their kids being sent home due to lack of staff?) or stick to a 4x4? I have never yet been late for work due to inclement weather.

Well the point is you need one for "business use" plus if your anthing like my sons teachers they get to school about 2 hours before we do anyway so your car wouldnt be in the way.

I have never been late in any weather conditions and I live in a fairly rural area also and I dont drive one.
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    He never turned it around at all, he said just mearly explain bullbars in general. They are classed at being at head height because they are about 1 ft in width and in child height that is a lot, I have a 5 year old and it would certainly be at head height for him, also for my 9 year old brother probably. At least if you get hit by one you would only have a shattered pelvis to worry about. :rolleyes:

If you can't see why bullbars are a bad thing, you really don't have much consideration to others

one foot in width?
    Are we discussing the same thing?
    And I think you should get medical advice if a 5 yr old and a 9 yr old are the same height .
    BTW, are you saying that if bullbars are banned you'd be happy to see all the 4x4s stay on the road?
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Options
    Results of a study on pedestrian safety:

"Only eight cars scored as many as three stars and one of those was the Honda CR-V, classified as a "small off-roader". The Volvo XC90 and the Nissan X-Trail managed two stars, putting the Audi TT Roadster to shame - it scored no stars, along with the Skoda Superb and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Take into account the better visibility from both driver's and walker's points of view, and the 4x4 doesn't automatically look like the pedestrian's worst enemy after all."

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=P8&xml=/motoring/2004/10/15/emfped16.xml

Which produces more emissions, a 6.0 Audi or a 2.0 vehicle which happens to be slightly taller?
  • iwanttosave_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    110frankie wrote:
    one foot in width?
    Are we discussing the same thing?
    And I think you should get medical advice if a 5 yr old and a 9 yr old are the same height .
    BTW, are you saying that if bullbars are banned you'd be happy to see all the 4x4s stay on the road?

I do know what A bull bar is thank you, I mean from the base of the bumper to the bonnet, so if you know what they are then yes we are.

When I say they are at head height I mean my sons head is around the bottom of the bar and my brothers is at the top, either way they get hit full on.

And no I wouldn't be happy for them to stay on the road, I have no problem with them being used by the people that actually need the offroad abilities and use them for that reason, not people busying around town and have never let the car even see a field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business