Trusteer Rapport

Hi,

My bank in its Security section shows -
"Ways to keep yourself safe.......
Install Trusteer Rapport" followed by a link and explanation.

It does not state we have to use it.

Since recently upgrading to W10 found that TR simply does not work and are waiting for TR to come back with some suggestions to make it work.

However even if they get it working, as soon as Chrome or Firefox upgrade their browsers, you find TR does not work, sometime taking over a month before they fix it.

While I do like the principle of how TR works adding an extra layer of security, seems its a rather flawed product if they cannot update it properly.

Our concerns are what happens if some problem/fraud happens on our bank account and they say we did not use TR, can that cause us a problem ?

Believe some uk banks do insist you use TR, so wonder how their customers manage to run it all the time ?

Comments

• I find it works for a few days. Then my browser is automatically updated and Rapport stops working. After a few more days I contact Trusteer and they say, yes, they know it doesn't work with the latest browser and it will be fixed. A few weeks later they update Rapport to work with the latest version of the browser. It works for a few days. Then my browser is automatically updated and Rapport stops working... This happens repeatedly. Overall, for me, Rapport works about 20% of the time. It worked more often before IBM took over. It may be better with some browsers than others.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    ricky101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Believe some uk banks do insist you use TR....

Well that is all news to me and probably most of the usual commentators on here.
    I know of none that do this - indeed I don't think I know of any UK bank making any very specific software or browser make/version as an absolute requirement.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Uxb wrote: »
    Well that is all news to me and probably most of the usual commentators on here.
    I know of none that do this - indeed I don't think I know of any UK bank making any very specific software or browser make/version as an absolute requirement.
    I think insist is a bit strong and probably unenforceable. However many banks do push Rapport quite hard with frequent pop ups if it is not installed.

They do however, require you to take reasonable care in protecting yourself from internet intrusions. Therefore if you lose money in a cyber attack that Rapport would have helped to prevent they may try to use this to avoid reimbursing you.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I think insist is a bit strong and probably unenforceable. However many banks do push Rapport quite hard with frequent pop ups if it is not installed.

They do however, require you to take reasonable care in protecting yourself from internet intrusions. Therefore if you lose money in a cyber attack that Rapport would have helped to prevent they may try to use this to avoid reimbursing you.

I agree 'insist' is a bit strong, but I think the reason this isn't more of an issue already is the banks want us all to migtate to online and mobile banking (rather than using expensive branches) and therefore the T&C's are not yet being tightened to require customers to use specific software.

For example, the Internet Banking T&C's of Nationwide (a user of TR) state:
    2.1 You can access our Internet Banking service provided the equipment you use meets our minimum compatibility requirements (full details are available at https://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet_banking). You must ensure your equipment continues to meet these requirements, that it remains fully operational and that you take all reasonable measures to keep it virus free.
    Full details aren't available on that link and "all reasonable measures" gives a lot of wiggle room on their part.
    Similarly, their 'Digital Banking Promise' states:
    You may also not be entitled to a refund if:
    [...]
    You have failed to comply with the security obligations set out in our product, Banking App and Internet Bank terms and conditions, either intentionally or with gross negligence.

Therefore even if the use of TR is not mandatory, it could only be a very small step away - the necessary provisions in the T&C's are already in place.

I've used Nationwide as an example, I've seen similar things in other bank's T&C's.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm certainly not aware of any bank that insists on its use, and I steadfastly refuse to install it, as when I have done so in the distant past it always interfered with my browser (when not accessing bank sites).
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Flabbergasted this morning - my Firefox browser has updated to vers. 57 -and Rapport is still working!!:rotfl:
  • msallen wrote: »
    I'm certainly not aware of any bank that insists on its use, and I steadfastly refuse to install it, as when I have done so in the distant past it always interfered with my browser (when not accessing bank sites).

same here.
    butterfly )i(
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I find F Secure Safe is the best one for me!
  • I have been using Rapport for a number of years with long periods when all worked okay. However, if the software fails and necessitates full re-installation then it can be quite a pain as all the personal sites entered in Rapport for control are lost. In my case the last time was over 120 institutions gone. Even so I still think it is a worthwhile bit of software to keep especially as many MSE members have a considerable number of financial sites on the go.
  • IBM might be updating for Firefox and Chrome within a month, but the most recent version of Edge (in Win10) they support is from last year. And as Microsoft have updated all normal Win10 systems this year, none of them will have Rapport functioning on Edge. So, assuming you think it's worth protecting your internet banking, don't use Edge.

I was unable to in any case as Rapport had stopped Edge working at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling Rapport but finding it inactive, I checked with their Support who just said my version is too new for them.

I wonder if the banks realise that the browser supplied as default on all new PCs, and with 600 million installations in total, doesn't work with this software they're so keen on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure