4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    If the OP used a credit card, and he has a valid claim against the seller, then under section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act, he has an equally valid claim against the credit provider - even after four years or more.
    Not convinced that any such claim would be successful, four years on. The least the credit card company would require is an independent report indicating that the fault was inherent. No way there would be a 100% refund after four years use of the product.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not convinced that any such claim would be successful, four years on. The least the credit card company would require is an independent report indicating that the fault was inherent. No way there would be a 100% refund after four years use of the product.
    But you jumped on a new poster with wrong information.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the suggestion that karenj2610 made.
  • Skinnydad
    Options
    Thanks Karen not sure how I'd pursue this. KeithP for your assistance and MIneptitude for saying it as you see it. I'll inform you of the outcome after they call me. My issue is it's a £700 TV. It no longer works as designed, naturally there's depreciation I understand this. However if they offer me say half I'd need to find another £350 (which is difficult to obtain at present) to purchase another TV. So in 4 years i'll have had an outlay of £1400, which in my books is not good value for money. I don't expect them to give me a brand new TV however a similar spec refurbished one would do the job. I suppose it's all about expectations. Thanks again...
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Not really, you take the cash they give you an buy another 4 year old tv with it & you've not lodt out (that's assuming the money you get is enough)
    Skinnydad wrote: »
    Thanks Karen not sure how I'd pursue this. KeithP for your assistance and MIneptitude for saying it as you see it. I'll inform you of the outcome after they call me. My issue is it's a £700 TV. It no longer works as designed, naturally there's depreciation I understand this. However if they offer me say half I'd need to find another £350 (which is difficult to obtain at present) to purchase another TV. So in 4 years i'll have had an outlay of £1400, which in my books is not good value for money. I don't expect them to give me a brand new TV however a similar spec refurbished one would do the job. I suppose it's all about expectations. Thanks again...
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September 2017 at 10:15AM
    Options

My guess is they'll offer you around £200. Sounds about fair and will go a canny way towards a new set. I'd be surprised if they offered you as much as half the original price paid after four years.

I'd imagine you'd be able to get a better spec TV for about £400 these days so you'll only have to find about £100 on top if they give you £200 plus the £95 back.
  • Leo2020
    Options

As I posted they can offer you a partial refund. You've had use of a TV for 4 years you are not going to get 4 years use for free.

I appreciate where you are coming from in the sense that you are having to buy another TV sooner than you planned to but you won't get all your money back after 4 years. Also as pointed out by andrewmp you will not get half back, it will be less than half. Sorry to repeat the news you don't want to here but there is no point telling you anything else otherwise you will have false expectations.
  • Skinnydad
    Options
    Totally understand, where would you get a reputable brand 51 inch TV for £400. Thanks again to all..
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Totally understand, where would you get a reputable brand 51 inch TV for £400. Thanks again to all..
    The point is though your TV was 4 years old, so I'm pretty sure you'd be able to pick up a half decent, 4 year old TV for £400.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Try eBay there are a few Samsung 51" Plasma TV's for around the £250 mark, here is one example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132324651260
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I paid £429.99 for a 50" HDR 4K Panasonic Smart TV. Good TV too, was your old one 4K etc?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure