Mobile phone at aged 9?

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    DD is the only one in her year with an iPhone, so that's not always true........

My daughter was the only one with an Iphone too. I usually find that once the novelty of a new phone has worn off, the phone gets forgotten.

She's had a phone from an early age due to our separation, it was her Daddy who bought the phone so she could contact him each evening, she's always called him to say goodnight.

Personally i don't see the problem with kids having phones as we haven't had any problems, never lost one or broken one or had one stolen. It might change when she goes to high school in September. She doesn't flash the phone about, nor do any of her friends, it's usually in the bottom of her school bag somewhere and we have to ring it to see where it is.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    Jeez! I didnt get my first mobile phone until i was 19 years old and yes it may have been a few years ago now (im 33) i certainly didnt need one before then, although i do see why a teenager would have one these days.

It just beggars belief why people feel the need to give their very young children mobile phones when they clearly dont need one.
    My son certainly wont be getting one until he is in secondary school and has to go out alone.

What the hell is an 8 year old going to do with an iphone? SERIOUSLY!?

Did I say she "needed" an Iphone? No.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    Jeez! I didnt get my first mobile phone until i was 19 years old and yes it may have been a few years ago now (im 33) i certainly didnt need one before then, although i do see why a teenager would have one these days.

It just beggars belief why people feel the need to give their very young children mobile phones when they clearly dont need one.
    My son certainly wont be getting one until he is in secondary school and has to go out alone.

What the hell is an 8 year old going to do with an iphone? SERIOUSLY!?

Make calls, listen to music, play games maybe ? Same as you would.

How old is your son ? My daughter isn't at secondary school, but still goes alone to her friends house nearby, always with her phone. It depends on the child, not how old they are.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    It was new, but is an old style :)

Personally I think that is mental, but your choice.

Are you not worried it will get stolen?
  • samwich1979
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    My daughter was the only one with an Iphone too. I usually find that once the novelty of a new phone has worn off, the phone gets forgotten.

She's had a phone from an early age due to our separation, it was her Daddy who bought the phone so she could contact him each evening, she's always called him to say goodnight.

Personally i don't see the problem with kids having phones as we haven't had any problems, never lost one or broken one or had one stolen. It might change when she goes to high school in September. She doesn't flash the phone about, nor do any of her friends, it's usually in the bottom of her school bag somewhere and we have to ring it to see where it is.

Why waste serious money on a phone which is just going to sit in the bottom of a school bag??

Buy a cheap £10-20 phone with a cheap PAYG sim if all they are using it for is an odd phone call or text.

I think it must be a status thing for the parents to say "ooooh look my child is only 8 and has an iphone how good are we"
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Why waste serious money on a phone which is just going to sit in the bottom of a school bag??

Buy a cheap £10-20 phone with a cheap PAYG sim if all they are using it for is an odd phone call or text.

I think it must be a status thing for the parents to say "ooooh look my child is only 8 and has an iphone how good are we"

Why should she buy a cheap phone though? If she can afford it then why not? Her money is hers to spend how she sees fit.

It could well be an old iPhone 3G which will be worth best part of about £60.

As for a status thing, doubtful, probably much easier that the kid can listen to her music, play games and make calls on one device rather than have 3 to potentially lose.
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Personally I think that is mental, but your choice.

Are you not worried it will get stolen?

No, I don't. Nice mental comment BTW.
  • Darren_G
    Darren_G Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I let my eldest have a phone when she started high school at 11, mainly so she had a way of keeping in touch in case of emergency.

As is always the case, the younger ones get things slightly earlier for some reason, and my other two got one for the christmas after their 10th birthday, so they were just under 11, but I tried to limit their use to encourage a bit of responsibility with regards amount of credit and inappropriate amounts of texting.

Prior to that, we had a cruddy old payg phone that we let them take on the school residential trips etc.
  • samwich1979
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Make calls, listen to music, play games maybe ? Same as you would.

How old is your son ? My daughter isn't at secondary school, but still goes alone to her friends house nearby, always with her phone. It depends on the child, not how old they are.

My son is only 1 but i know already i wont be spending out that sort of money on such a young child for something they dont need.

I went to friends houses etc at primary school age and although mobile phones didnt exist then i certainly wouldnt have been bought one OR needed one.

I agree with whoever said people are mental for buying iphones for children at this age.
  • emsywoo123
    Options

yup, that's exactly why I bought it :rotfl:

I think not.

Friendly people on this thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills