Refusing to travel = Sacking?

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2017 at 8:16PM
    Options
    To be honest it sounds like (and taking into account your earlier thread about your OH and holidays) that you shoot from the hip and react to a situation really quickly

I am not entirely sure why you wouldn't give it a go and see if this away day was or was not a one off. As others have said you could Skype your daughter and, going forward, if every job you are interested in will be dependent on your child's sleeping patterns then it may become more problematic.

Sounds like you want a reason "out" rather than a reason "in"
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sounds like a bit of compromise on both sides could sort this out. I agree with the employer that a 6 hour daily commute is not practical, reasonable or safe. However, allowing you to return home for 1 night in the middle of the week could work.
    If the baby won't go to sleep if you aren't around, what would happen if you couldn't be home one night, whatever the reason. Breaking the habit whilst the baby is young is actually a positive thing.
    You actually seem to be looking for reasons to leave, as you've said it's a horrible place to work. That being the case, just do it but stop trying to blame other people for the unfortunate job choice you have taken. We all make mistakes.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've got my letter of resignation ready, so if next week the big boss man gives me a call or I am asked to enter a meeting room, I'll be ready to give them notice before they fire me.
    Is that a good idea ?
    At the bottom end of the employment ladder, being sacked can be better ( benefits ) ; at the top end ( including Ministers) , the person normally resigns "for personal reasons".
  • globetraveller
    Options
    I assume you are confident about getting another job quickly, or you have a substantial amount of money to live on meanwhile.
    Think about what a potential new employer would think about you throwing in the towel the very first time you are asked to go away. Why not go this time?
    The ridiculous scenario of spending 6 hours a day travelling means you will not see your child awake. Stay in the hotel and use skype and that would be quality time.
    Will your wife be happy to have you at home all the time with no money coming in?
    It might be an idea to stay put and look for a new job which doesn't involve any time away.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • indianabones
    indianabones Posts: 305 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2017 at 8:34PM
    Options
    I assume you are confident about getting another job quickly, or you have a substantial amount of money to live on meanwhile.

Think about what a potential new employer would think about you throwing in the towel the very first time you are asked to go away. Why not go this time?

Firstly yes, I have enough money to probably cope comfortably for 3 months and probably stretch to 6 months if needs be. But that's nothing to do with this decision.

With only 1 working day's notice, they asked me to go for a full week with the likelihood of it being extended to 2 and very possibly 3 weeks. As I said before one guy was sent away for 6 weeks and another is already in his 3rd week and will be doing his 4th week on the bounce, neither is happy. Both of those guys have made it clear to them they don't want to go again either. Another chap left 3 weeks before I joined because apparently they kept dropping this kind of stuff last minute on him too.

Can we close this topic please, I don't think there's anything else left to discuss.
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Can we close this topic please, I don't think there's anything else left to discuss.

Other than you being a complete wuss.....
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ceecee1 wrote: »

Other than you being a complete wuss.....

Were I an employer, I would have thought that

Quote:
    "I personally get very very homesick if I don't see my daughter"

and

Quote:
    "My daughter won't sleep if I'm not nearby"

were two of the lamest excuses for not spending time away for your work.

However I'm not an employer
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I were an employer I wouldn't want 'problem' staff, or inflexible ones. I once went on a 3 month secondment to the USA with less than 24 hours' notice. Wife was supportive because her own father was a civil engineer and spent long periods abroad when she was little. 'If you aspire to a career it's what you do'. My employer was eventually so grateful that they flew her out for a week's holiday at the end of the project.
    Saying that, I get that it's not for everyone; you have to trade off the job needs against the domestic scene. Different people will come up with different answers. I wish you well.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • indianabones
    indianabones Posts: 305 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2017 at 8:04PM
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Different people will come up with different answers. I wish you well.

That's precisely it. Different people have different views on travel.

My line manager was seriously !!!!ed off and still is. But his manager, our IT director was pretty apologetic to me today. I guess he asked why I didn't want to go, read the email I sent and realised that my request wasn't difficult to meet. He said next time they'll book a double room as it usually costs the same or just a tad bit more.

Both the company and I have invested and given a lot for this role so let's see how it pans out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    If I were an employer I wouldn't want 'problem' staff, or inflexible ones. I once went on a 3 month secondment to the USA with less than 24 hours' notice. Wife was supportive because her own father was a civil engineer and spent long periods abroad when she was little. 'If you aspire to a career it's what you do'. My employer was eventually so grateful that they flew her out for a week's holiday at the end of the project.
    Saying that, I get that it's not for everyone; you have to trade off the job needs against the domestic scene. Different people will come up with different answers. I wish you well.

They should have been flying her out(or you back) more often than that.

Trips come with some jobs even at short notice but that is something you sign up for as part of the interview acceptance process, or through job development.

If the deal was occasional limited travel I would be expecting incentives to go above and beyond and not nonsense like you can't have your family come and stay with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure