Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Now that that bit is done, lets get to the nitty gritty,

Now I have been neglecting my diary ( and challenge) for a while, I have had uni to deal with life to deal with and a whole host of other excuses I could give, but excuses are not getting me anywhere so it's time to sort this out.

I am now finished uni and have a new challenge so it seemed the right time to start a final diary for this 100 month challenge.

The focus as i'm sure if you have followed my ramblings so far have changed to being F.I.R.E this is still the focus, however, there is recognition that it is going to be a less direct route to achieving this goal, son has announced he is getting married in 2019 and has asked if we (his side of the family) would be willing to take on 1/3rd of the wedding bill, he doesn't hold a job down but does kinda work for himself, however, he intends on dividing the wedding costs as this

1/3 his and his future wife's
    1/3 her family
    1/3 our family,

so the focus of this part of the `100 month challenge is to get this wedding saved for ... WHILST (important part) still managing to pay off the debt AND continue with the F.I.R.E plans, I havn't paid anything into my pension this year as I have concentrated on uni so that I didn't have to do any re-sits. I will not get any wages until just before xmas (yes it takes that long to get registered and things) so essentially I will have taken a year out of saving for a pension and this is not good.

We also have a holiday planned for Barcelona ( 4 nights in Sept celebration for finishing uni), one for Salou ( Sept, taking an aunty away, this is not a holiday this will be a busman's holiday due to ill health of said aunty) one for Lanzarote in Januray (another busmans holiday with inlaw's) and one for Lake Garda and the Dolomites in July next year (this one Hubby and I are looking forward to).

We will also have breaks planned for the wobble box, as when I am not working I will be caring for inlaw's and aunty so will need sanity breaks away kayaking and walking.

I also have a challenge of doing 50 Munro's by the time I am 50, no easy task I can assure you.

this indicates to me I have a lot of ground work to do so that all of the above can be achieved.

Wish me luck and I hope you join me on the last leg of the 100 month challenge.
  • elantan
    edited 8 August 2017 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Ok Mortgage

even if we dont pay any extra to the mortgage it will be cleared by August 2018, with the other plans ongoing this is going to be the case, we owe £3,180 on our mortgage.

Debt

we had cleared off the £4k credit card debt ( 0% interest) however, with me not working the over draft was going up and the charges were piling in, so we took another £4k on interest free currently sitting at £3.8k paying off £200 a month will be paid by son's wedding (I hope)

Student loan

Still floating about but I will start paying it back when I start earning money, there are no plans at present to pay this off any quicker.

Pensions

Now this is where it get's interesting, husband took a previously stagnant pension and transferred it into a managed SIPP (this will need to be dealt with when I have time to sort it out) he got offered £275k as a transfer value, so he has moved it, he also has a second one, which his company are still paying into so we are continuing this one at present but will consider transferring when the time is right.

My pension currently sitting at roughly £70k but when I am earning money I will be putting hopefully between £750 and £1k a month into to try and get it to drawdown rates before tax kicks in.

savings

We do have approx £5 in savings just now and an endowment due to mature next year giving us approx £16k, £10k of which will be for my pension and the other £6k is for savings for a new car.

so that's where we are starting from in the final leg, very different from where we were at the start of the challenge, but still a long way to go
  • elantan
    Options
    I've had future daughter in law on the phone quite a bit these last few days

They are trying to get things as cheap as they can for the wedding ...

So far we have the Caleigh coming in at £500 from an average price of £800 ( her friend is in a Caleigh band)

They have cut out the drinks package of the wedding receptionn saving nearly £2.5k the photographer is the family photographer so we think we can get hopefully £3-500 off the price of £2k for that.

I know someone that will make the kilt ( professional kilt maker) I also know a tartan designer, son is playing about with the idea of designing his own tartan ... we're thinking £1-1.5k for that

The church is usually £1.7k son and daughter in law to be attend the church however so should get it for approx £1k ( or hopefully less)

Wedding cake just been informed should be approx £350 and flowers daughter in law has an auntyvthatvus a florist so she should help there ... also possibly a chance of supplying our own buffet for wedding, my sister runs a university hospitality campus and has offered to organise it all ( she does it for a living)

So fingers crossed these deals continue
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    £60k for a wedding :eek:
    Good luck with your plans xxxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • elantan
    Options
    No £20k for a weeding divided by 3 so approx £7k each ... my nerves are stretched with £20k don't think I could even contemplate £60k lol

Hence the reason they are trying to get things cheaper ... I think the minute u put the W word in front of things prices triple
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck, I look forward to joining you for some of those Munros!
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow.
    So you have to pay a 1/3 of a wedding.
    Hope my DS elopes :rotfl:

How very awesome to be mortgage free in a year :j :j

Any job thoughts?

Love to you both xxx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • elantan
    Options
    Good luck, I look forward to joining you for some of those Munros!

Sadly for you your name is on a few ;)

Starting next year, will need to fill you in on Wednesday''s experience :)
  • elantan
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Wow.
    So you have to pay a 1/3 of a wedding.
    Hope my DS elopes :rotfl:

How very awesome to be mortgage free in a year :j :j

Any job thoughts?

Love to you both xxx

Aye I know ... thought it was a bit cheeky myself tbh, but hey I'm just glad I only have 1

Start a job on October 23rd, but to be honest it's not exactly what I want so I will keep looking, eventually the right one will turn up, either way I think I will need to do loads of overtime to pay for our bit of the wedding

We still need to catch up ( skinty as well) before I start working full time
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We do need to catch up.
    B mentioned it too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure