Frugal frump to Fab - Astonishing Autum Exquinox to Wondrous Winter Solstice

Options

Comments

• Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2012 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Not loads of fabbing today, went swimming with H and the kids so managed to fit in around 10 laps. Not masses I grant you but I was pleased to see that despite no formal exercise for a while the redecorating seems to have upped my fitness levels as I managed the swimming without gasping for breath :D

Organised a sneaky trip down to where H is staying tomorrow til Wednesday, it's half term, me and the kids could use the break. H doesn't know yet, it's a surprise so I hope he's pleased :o
    Cue tomorrow morning crisis packing and sorting out. Probably wont be around for that duration as lack of wifi.

Cherry print well done on the mindful eating. I am a big believer in it I just struggle massively to implement it :o

LL all the best for house viewing on tues :T
    Mineallmine........so why don't French women get fat? ;)
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mineallmine........so why don't French women get fat? ;)
    I'm just a few pages in but so far it seems us brits talk too much about calories, fat etc and in an obsessive way that doesn't help us. Whilst all the while we eat without noticing, stuffing a biscuit in or three and not recalling or necessarily enjoying it. Fascinating stuff.
    More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!
    That's a really good quote... I may nick it for my sig! I remember a show where a guy showed his clutter free flat and said... less things, less stuff, more life.

Have a good night all :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you have a great time with your DH Bitsy. it'll be really lovely for you all to have a break. Enjoy!

I'm aware of the 'French women don't get fat' book but I haven't read it. i'd guess that they don't booze like we do in this country, so perhaps an aperitif, a small glass of something good with a meal and plenty of water. Then nouvelle cuisine means small portions (not literally of course;)) so that would help. Seriously, when I'm in France, I see lots of largish women as they do eat plenty of bread and country cooking can be quite substantial. I think they have the slim ones and the comfy ones but none of the really obese blobs I see here.

On a fab note, I see lots of French women who are really chic and wear lovely shoes and are good at colour co-ordinating. I think they are good at buying a few good quality clothes. Then they also have boring frumps in the equivalent of supermarket crimplene. Sadly I see lots of their teenagers becoming grungy in the uniform jeans and hoodies. Message: don't beat yourselves up, Mais oui nous sommes FAB vraiment!!! (excuse schoogirl French:o)

Not massively fab day for me. I've been to football:( in the rain so it was more about keeping warm and dry. I did my make up to balance it out though. Ate healthily at breakfast and lunch but had pastie and choc bar at lunch:o.

Decorating going well although I feel I'm living in Ikea! New bookshelves installed (Billy oak with glass fronts) but some doors and desk out of stock until later in the week. Meantime DH is putting books/files back and promised me that nothing's going back he doesn't need/want.:)

Off to watch Downton. I just love slobbing on Sunday evenings.:D
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    Options
    Little update from me before bed.

Feel a tiny bit better today but not too much, still on the road to recovery now. Batch cooked a pack of mince into 16 portions of cottage pie, chilli and spag bol - go me! Thought I'd do it as I felt a bit more up to this than I have done for the last 2 weeks

Also sold 9 items on ebay and are all now ready to go to the post office tomorrow on route to the drs - some decluttering done and quite a lot more to go and have freed up half a shelf in a kitchen cupboard at last. More things in there to go as I don't ever ever use any of them and need to be brutal in this decision. Happily have enough now for the car service, hoping of course nothing else needs doing before the MOT

Not much fabbing going on here apart from usual skincare as not up to doing much else like make up and nail poilish but I'll get back to this when I feel back to normal

Happy fabbing everyone
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • katie89
    katie89 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was hoping you wouldn't mind if I joined in, a mix of lurking and the odd post if that is ok? I've read the thread up to this point and have found it very inspiring and moving.

I'd love to fab myself up a bit. Every since starting a new relationship earlier this year the weight has crept on a little due to lots of cosey nights in, and a combo of full time work and a part time degree has meant that i've somewhat neglected everything, really. I finished the degree until February so have more time to be fab!

I joined the gym on Tuesday and have been three times since. I joined with a friend from work so we are spurring each other to go 4 times a week. My thighs hate me, but I feel good for it! It's far less intimidating than I thought it would be. I'd like to loose 7lbs by Christmas.

This evening I have touched up my chipped nail varnish - I only put it on yesterday but did the washing up too quickly afterward. Only one was chipped so it didn't seem worth taking it all off. Is a lovely deep purple colour from boots no 7. I also used a morrocan oil shampoo, conditioner and oil on my hair today, so it feels and looks lovely and smooth - no fly-aways!
    2011 Wins : Models own makeup product, Photoplusx4 software:j Mens hair dye :rotfl:
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Katie! Nice to see you!
    maman wrote: »
    Decorating going well although I feel I'm living in Ikea! New bookshelves installed (Billy oak with glass fronts) but some doors and desk out of stock until later in the week. Meantime DH is putting books/files back and promised me that nothing's going back he doesn't need/want.:)

Billy Bookcase! Don't you just love the names IKEA give their products? I've had a few oddly named furniture friends from the Swedes in the past.:)

Well, my body clock is not playing fair! Flipping changing clocks.
    I was awake at 5.15am (which is really 6.15) as its my usual getting up time. Two things..... its an hour too early even on a normal day but I'M ON HOLIDAY!!!!:mad::mad:
    Once I'm awake there's no going back to sleep so I'm a bit peeved.

I'm off to school today for the morning to do a revision session for the yr 10s with exams as soon as we go back after half term.
    Then if the weather holds I'll take the dog for a big walk somewhere.

Just seen the news about the hurricane in New York - feel so sorry for my friend who was due to fly out yesterday for a 40th birthday break. Have texted her to make sure she's ok but I have a feeling she won't have gone. She was so excited too. What a shame - hope everyone there is ok though.

I also forgot that we're going on a spa weekend in a couple of weeks for her birthday - paid for it a while ago and booked the treatments (massage and facial). Its a posh country house hotel type of thing with an overnight stay with a dinner (and no doubt a few drinkies!).

Right, its getting light now so will take the woofer for a wander before getting glammed up for work (well, new jeans and a new top:)).
  • bratz81
    bratz81 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    good morning all :)

cherryprint - you seem to be really going well on the Paul McKenna 'plan'! One thing I've noticed, I think from listening to the CD every night, is how I don't feel guilty eating any more. If I'm hungry I'll eat and stop when I'm not but I've been eating what I want - no guilt on how many calories etc are in it. That's a big deal for me. I also don't spend all day thinking about food - although I do sort of 'check-in' with myself every hour or two to see if I'm hungry as I'm still not 100% sure on listening to my body after years of not doing it.

In other news we didn't get to go out on Saturday evening but went out with friends in the afternoon to see Skyfall instead - highly recommend it was fab. I did dress up though, and dressed up on Sunday - jeans that now fit and some new sweaters so good for the weather but smart too. I also got a new woolly hat with ear flaps which I've been told was on Gok's Fashion Fix so I feel highly stylish!
    carpe diem :cool:

[STRIKE]Santander OD- £0/£870[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Mint cc - £0/£6500[/STRIKE]
    [FONT=&quot]HOF cc - £640/£750 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A&L Loan - £2497/£7500[/FONT]
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

LL and WW - thank you for the kind words. I know it has been manic over the last few months and I need to watch for overdoing it a bit I guess - there's just so much to do! :o

LL - fingers crossed for the viewing tomorrow, hope it goes well x

Bitsy - glad you and OH seem to have had a good weekend, probably just what he needed to get a bit more centred iykwim, I'm sure he'll love it when you go down to surprise him :)

Sparkles - glad you seem to be on the mend, would def speak to the doctor though, maybe he can recommend something? Do you take vitamins or anything at the moment? I'm going to start back on the vit c and zinc tablets this week, possibly with an iron supplement to maybe give me a bit more energy.

Cherry - well done on the weight loss :j might have to have a look at the mindful eating.

katie - welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start, great you have a gym buddy so you can spur each other one :)

Phew, lots to catch up on! I've actually had quite a nice weekend. We didn't end up going out Friday, I was knackered and feeling a bit sniffly (and it was freezing out!) so stayed in with the heater on! Saturday we were singing at the roller derby, which was great fun, not our usual crowd so we weren't sure how it would go down but they were really getting into it - and we stopped and watched the second half which was quite good (once I figured out what was happening :rotfl:) Sat night had a few beers with OH and a mate. Sunday went to meet two writer friends for coffee, so was nice to have a chat about that - have convinced one of the them to do Nano with me so we're going to a local 'launch' and write in next Sat :)
    So quite nice to fit some fun stuff in but not got much work or fabbing done! Will do a condition on my hair and possibly my nails tonight. I am actually wearing a dress today though!! :eek: It's a purple, jersey-type one and have dark grey tights (thermal cause it's bleedin cold!) and black boots.
    Anyway, looking like it's going to be a busy week this week (do I ever have the other kind? :rotfl:). Hope everyone is having a good day x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :wave:katie and welcome.

Hope you got some good advice from the doctor sparkles.

Pod, glad you had a bit of fun this weekend you deserve a break. I was going to ask what people wear with dresses now it's getting colder. I've got two, lovely jersey ones but they have cap sleeves. Opaques look good and/or boots but what about keeping arms warm and still looking smart?

Done my usual basic fabbing today (shower, moisturising, styled hair) and I'll be getting dressed/made up later for my dancing class. Meanwhile, more decluttering is going on. Billy the bookcase (or rather four of them);) getting filled up but not before we go through files first. Hall is getting full of stuff for another trip to CS. Very cathartic!
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    Options
    I'm back from the dr's and told I must rest for at least one more week and possibly two as its a very nasty viral infection which is still raging away. Informed really not to do too much at all more than nothing otherwise I'm opening myself up to a secondary infection. I've taken this onboard as although I'm really bursting to get back to normal there's no way I want to do too much too soon and let this happen. All advice taken onboard and I'm spending the week on the settee again

Feeling really run down this afternoon again so not too hard to stick to dr's orders.

Not too much fabbing apart from bare minimum here as a result - and my nails are splitting - oh no! Must be a result of this infection I think, had a big flare up on my skin last week from it and its nails this week.

Any suggestions of what can improve them as they look dreadful
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business