PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing Suncream stains

Options
I just know that some of you out there will have a foolproof way to get suncream stains out of clothing. DS's new at Xmas, England shirt has a yellowing collar which I can only assume is due to the copious application of suncream whilst on holiday last week. The shirt is 100% polyester.

All suggestions gladly appreciated
I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would try Oil of Eucalyptus aavailable in chemists in a tiny bottle but lasts ages- will get rid of your cold at the same time(you`ll recognize the smell!)

I use it on all old stains and it wont make a stain worse. Put a little all over the stain and then wash as usual.

:j
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for this, I've so many white clothes ruined with yellow stains from suncream that will not wash out.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Suncream is normally oil based. So need something that removes oil.

I would try neat washing up liquid. I use this on any grease stains and it brings it up a treat.

Just make sure it goes in the machine and gets washed asap.

Also what about trying something like the lingere whitener that dylon do. As long as you just soaked the collar in it.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • pammy14
    pammy14 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know how to remove sun cream stains from kids T-shirts
    Thanks
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    Sorry, no! All i CAN say is, steer clear of Boots Soltan coz its the worst offender of the yellow stain!!
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a beautiful white linen/cotton mix shirt for a wedding abroad and my toddler sqeezed a tube of suncream on me :( It has left a yellowly cream splash across the front and won't wash off.

The shirt is a 40 degree double underlined wash so I can't boil it or anything!

I've tried Vanish Oxyclean no luck - any other ideas? Vineger? Bicarb? Anyone know of a stain devil type product that might shift it?

Really narked at spending £40 on a lovely shirt and wearing it once! Although...maybe I could dye it creamy yellow LOL.
  • bluep
    Options
    Thanks! That'll teach me not to do a more thorough search before posting! Sorry.
  • bluep
    Options
    Just thought I'd give anyone who is interested an update...

I put my linen/cotten shirt through a 40 degree underlined wash with concentrated washing up liquid rubbed generously into the suncreamed areas and arial biological washing pouch.

This faded the stains considerably but they were still there so I tried again on the same wash but soaked it in vineger this time with a generous amount of oxyclean powder in the drawer and another arial bio pouch....result! Very very faded marks - they just look like slight imperfections in the linen fabric now.

I might try one more wash just for luck!
  • JockMcSprock
    Options
    Just back from holiday and can't shift the Waterproof Sun Sream that we used off of the clothes that wore.

I have tried the usual - Washing at 40 and then 60 degress, Stardrops, soap, washing up liquid and Bicarbonate of soda and they are still there? Any advice?

It was factor 50 and like applying treacle to your body, won't be using that again!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Jock,

Someone on this thread had some success with washing liquid followed by vinegar. Removing Suncream stains

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport