Sashybo - Back Again

Options

Comments

• sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have adjusted my sig again to separate the loans into the original 2 loans (from negative equity when selling our flat) & the 2 car loans which although add massively to the overall debt total, will work out less in the end. Still depressing to look at though. :(

Seems counter-productive but makes sense in the long term. :( Will snowball with the exisiting loans and probably work on paying off based on highest interest rate first. Good news is that we can overpay on all of the loans and the rates for the car loans were far cheaper than car dealerships were offering.

Not been up to much today, being quite lazy. Have ordered some growing bags online for potatoes as we want to try growing our own this year. Will probably head out tomorrow to look at seed potatoes etc - some good prices online but postage obviously an issue due to the weight.

Have done a few short surveys as well as 0nepoll which is up to £6.65.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • sashybo
    Options
    Went out today with DH & got a few things done. We managed to get 2 2kg bags of seed potatoes for £6 in B&Q which isn't bad. Got Maris pipers & Arran pilot new potatoes, so will start the new potatoes soon. Need to chit them & also waiting on big pots arriving.

Also got some bargain pots of dwarf daffodils - 2 big pots for £1.50 each :j & 2 small pots of yellow crocus for 50p each. We bought some primroses to brighten up the front border & stocked up on compost.

Got a light shade for the baby's room, reduced from £14 to £9. It has robots on it but we didn't think it was too boyish so will do a boy or a girl - not like the baby will care anyway. :p

We dropped into B&M & bought some raspberry canes as well, hopefully we'll get some fruit from them. We already have a tayberry plant in the garden but only got a handful of fruit from it in the first year so hoping for more this year.

Got a peppa pig board book as part of a present for one of my younger nieces, was quite pleased as it was only £1.99. Now have her present ready for March as had already got her peppa pig PJs in the bargain lot I got online last week.:T

By the time we got home the rain was bucketing down but we had to get the plants in as both back to work tomorrow. So we looked like the neighborhood crazies out planting flowers in the pouring rain. :o :rotfl:

Planning on a Spanish omelette for dinner shortly. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    My Dad grew Arron pilot last year and is doing them again the year - they were delish. I'm impressed by your green fingeredness, I love gardening but am not very good at it. This year I am going to try and divide as many perennials as I can, to fill out my borders for free.

You mentioned verbena on an earlier post. I bought one at the village fair last year for 10p, and I loved it, it was very vivid and eye caching. Any idea how I propagate it?
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • sashybo
    Options
    Hi paws, good to know about the Arran pilot, this will be our first go at potatoes so fingers crossed.

To be honest both DH & I are still novice gardeners and just have a go with plants we like the look of. We both seem to have green fingers & a bit of luck.

With Verbena I think you can just take cuttings & grow them in a pot but haven't tried it myself - I always mean to, then forget all about taking cuttings :doh:

When I grew my African violet cuttings, it was really just a case of taking a non-flowering side shoot & making sure there was a decent length of bare stem to insert into the compost in a small pot (7-10cm ? Rubbish at sizes of pots :o). I put 4 cuttings into each pot & kept them watered and warm until they established roots (took several weeks) & then re-potted each cutting separately.

Think I'll try this myself later in the summer, will get the plants from B&Q when they're discounted as they mark them down very frequently from spring & throughout the summer.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope the Spanish omlette was nice :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • sashybo
    Options
    Hi Bob, yes the Spanish omelette was lovely, DH is very good at it. :T

Got my Quidc0 money through today, £11 so paid that off loan 1 along with my usual £1 a day. That payment takes loan 1 into the 2300s. :j

Also got the last finance payment to my old car refunded which was a nice surprise so £122 we weren't expecting. :j Have put this into the baby fund as still have a few bigger things to buy.

Yesterday we bought the isofix bases for the car seat (DH insisted on one per car) as they were reduced from £145 each :eek: to £99 in a sale at M0thercare. So a good saving but still a lot of money - we do have the money set aside though.

Also got a letter through from the work HR dept about my maternity pay & it's worse than I thought. :( I thought I got 3 months full pay & 3 months half pay, then 3 months SMP but it's actually only 3 months full pay & then 6 months SMP. :eek::mad: On the SMP my wage drops by over two thirds. :eek: We are really going to have to be strict with our budget as that is a huge drop. I'm really quite worried now and definitely won't be able to afford the full 12 months off as the last 3 months are not paid at all. :(

Better move soon as need to do my 15 mins on the cross trainer and have a shower then get ready for work. Back on late shifts for 7 days now. :cool:
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    How annoying about the maternity pay - it will need some real belt tightening, but hopefully you can find a way to take as long as possible off. I suppose there's a balance to be made between overpaying debt to reduce outgoings long term and minimising your outgoings so you have a bit of spare money. Maybe have a play around with your budgets and see how the numbers stack up.

You've reminded me to go and check my topcashback account.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So sorry about the maternity leave shock. That's very upsetting. But as you know the worst now is there anything you can sell or cut to the bone to claw more time off with bubs?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Sorry that the maternity pay letter wasn't what you were expecting or hoping for sashy, what a pain :(
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • sashybo
    Options
    Thanks guys, I spoke to one of my managers and they reminded me that I can use my 4 weeks annual leave as well when I'm off but I'm unsure whether this will be at my full pay or not (probably not looking at the rubbish overall maternity pay). I feel like I'm being financially punished for having a baby - sick pay is 6 months full, 6 months half pay!

DH & I are going to have to sit down and go through the budget again. DH has already cut a few small things out and is in the process of looking for a car that will cost less each month. Unfortunately we need 2 cars due to the shift work we both do - even when I'm on mat leave it wouldn't be ideal to be without a car when DH is working late nights/early mornings and I would need my own car when I went back to work anyway.

My car insurance is up for renewal in either March or April (need to check) so will hopefully get a small reduction on that & maybe some cashback. Our energy deal finishes soon as well so that's another bill we can look to cut & hopefully get cashback on. I know we can cut our food bill a lot by meal planning - just need to get my bum in gear and actually do it. :o

I think DH probably has a few things he can sell - he's very into his tech and usually has a few gadgets that he no longer needs lying around.

We don't really need too much more for the baby so hopefully the money we have put aside will pay for the bigger things we do need and we can save extra money for my mat leave whilst I'm still working full time. I still have 3 more paydays on a full time wage (on the last of those I'll be 38 weeks so fingers crossed everything keeps going well) and then I'll receive my average earnings for 13 weeks. I'll then go onto SMP for 26 weeks. :(

I need to check out the annual leave and see if I'm due to get full pay for that or not - I'm meant to have a week off in March but can defer it and add it to my maternity leave but not sure if this is counted as another week of full pay or not (I think it should be?). I then have another 3 weeks annual leave throughout the year but not sure what pay I'm entitled to for these, will try and clarify with my manager later today.

So lots to think about but no time to really speak to DH properly until next week as he's working day shifts and I'm lates. Just feeling a bit down about it now. :(

Still need to find out about job share etc as the company are so uncommunicative it's unreal. I feel quite uncomfortable even bringing it up and it's as though they're just pretending I'm not pregnant & nothing's happening! :eek:

Will try & speak to some other girls who have gone through the process as I know in some places you have to apply whilst off on mat leave as it can affect your pay if you apply beforehand but in other places you apply before going off.

Managed to go on the cross trainer before work yesterday which is good as really didn't want to but forced myself. Work was tiring as a bit frantic with disruption over rush hour & felt like I never really caught up. Did a couple of surveys as well yesterday, 0nepoll up to £7.30.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback