Options

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lopo wrote: »
    Hmmm....take the hit !

The toiletries could have been lost elsewhere in transit / destroyed / leaked anyway....dont ever take what your not prepared to lose when travelling basically. The cleaner was just tidying up what you just left about in fairness -

confused...? simples!

There's a huge difference between tidying up and disposing of things.

Nobody has the right to touch something which belongs to somebody else without permission.

As for don't take what you're not prepared to lose ~ I can't leave my kids home alone ;)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • tangotronic
    Options
    No is definitely the answer for this one.

Turkey is not a country which applies employment rights to a standard we would find acceptable. You've already said the items were disguised. Why should someone simply doing their job be penalised?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Claim the money back then bring it to the attention of the newspapers, bbc watchdog and mse, naming and shaming does go far, if at all possible, 'warn' the hotel manager you are going to do this so he has a chance to correct his mistake. The money should have inface come from his own insurace.
  • sunny88_2
    sunny88_2 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    claim on the holiday insurance? credit card? explore all other alternatives. If that fails, forget it and chalk it up to experience.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    One thing to note. A lot of people are saying that the hotel should pay up rather than you or the cleaner.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a little unfair:
    25% blame to you, as you left the stuff out and (in theory) mistakable for rubbish
    75% blame to the cleaner as they "binned" your property (goodness knows what the truth is)

And yet these people are suggesting that the cost is allocated:
    £0 you
    £0 cleaner
    £200 hotel

Why should they pay the price? Where's their blame?
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no proof that she's a thief. It may have been a genuine mistake.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mr-tom wrote: »
    One thing to note. A lot of people are saying that the hotel should pay up rather than you or the cleaner.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a little unfair:
    25% blame to you, as you left the stuff out and (in theory) mistakable for rubbish
    75% blame to the cleaner as they "binned" your property (goodness knows what the truth is)

And yet these people are suggesting that the cost is allocated:
    £0 you
    £0 cleaner
    £200 hotel

Why should they pay the price? Where's their blame?

25% of blame on the person whose belongings got chucked? Why? Should we all go on holiday now and leave everything locked in our case when we're not in the room so some dozy or thieving cleaner doesn't chuck some of it?

Say I go into Currys to buy something and I get served by Mandy.

That something breaks, so I take it back for a refund.

Should I expect Mandy to refund me from her own pocket?

No, Currys would refund me wouldn't they?

So that's why the hotel is liable for the cost. The cleaner works for the hotel and it's them that takes the hit. If they then want to take the money from the cleaners wages, that's upto them.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Essex123
    Essex123 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the title of this thread is incorrect:

"Do I punish the cleaner?"

No, you don't punish the cleaner, but you should get appropriate redress from the hotel. In my opinion, how the hotel deals with this re charging it back to the cleaner (punishing them) is not your concern and I would tell the manager that. I suspect it is a bluff trying to play on your goodwill. Definitely write up the experience on TripAdvisor though.

Also, I find it interesting that they even admit they binned your stuff. I would have thought the standard reply from the hotel would be deny all knowledge so it is your word against theirs.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    What the Hotel do to the cleaner is up to them. I would take the money and leave it up to them.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a pain but I hide things away when I go out. It gives less temptation and it makes it easier for the cleaner to clean as well, as my stuff isn't in the way.

When we rent a villa, we request no cleaner as a place rarely needs much cleaning within a fortnight. We can pull a duvet over the bed and the bathrooms don't get that dirty. We find them rather intrusive as they come in the morning when we want to lie in or enjoy breakfast on the terrace in peace.

We like to have dry towels every day as they do not dry in the bathroom and a top of up tea/coffee making facilities in a hotel.

I would assume the cleaner would only dispose of stuff in the bin. It isn't their job to work out if something outside the bin is rubbish or not.

If my make-up toiletries were missing on return to my room, I would be livid as I would have to go out and replace it all immediately, which isn't easy - would probably cost more than I paid for them in the first place, and many places don't stock the same brands etc we have in the UK.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure