Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Options

Comments

• Possum51
    Options
    I have just returned from Malaga. I pre-booked the smallest car from Goldcar @ 44 Euros. I queued for over an hour (many in the queue said this was normal). At the desk and now under time pressure I was coerced into taking the extra insurance at 8.5 Euros per day (online this would have been 4 Euros with other companies). There was a charge for a full tank of petrol. I left over half a tank at the end. Goldcar mailed me to say money would be refunded for this, but it seems they have helped themselves to an extra £21.65. So from 44 Euros (£36.67) I have come back to two extra charges of £108.93 and £21.65 making a TOTAL OF £167.24 for 7 days of the smallest car hire (a Fiat Panda which was excellent). DO NOT USE GOLDCAR. IN FACT ANYBODY ELSE BUT GOLDCAR.

(the bus from Malaga Airport looks a good option and would be quicker!)
  • bob.osborne
    Options
    I booked a rental car at Lanzarote airport through DoYouSpain. They told me to collect it from Gold Car.

Because I carry my own supplemental insurance I declined Gold Cars extra insurance for tyres etc. They required that I give them a deposit of 600 euros which they took from my credit card within minutes of signing on the 6th of March 2014 along with money for a full tank of fuel.

The car was returned on the 13th of March in the same condition as when I rented it. I asked for the return of the 600 euros and was told that it would be done immediately. Fortunately, as well as photographing the car I also photographed the young lady who accepted the keys so she will be easy to trace.

The unused fuel cost was credited to my account within a couple of days but two weeks later I am still awaiting the return of the 600 euros. DoYouSpain keep saying that they will call Gold Car and nothing happens. Gold Car started by saying that the refund takes time but now don't respond to emails and their telephone numbers are left ringing.

I am now seriously concerned that my money will not be returned voluntarily. I have informed Master Card and asked them to act on my behalf.

I feel that I should also inform the Lanzarote Guardia Civil of a possible offence but am having difficulty in obtaining their email address which even the Spanish Embassy in London can't help me with.

Does anyone have their details?

Bob.O
  • Lonposval
    Lonposval Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2014 at 12:38PM
    Options
    Counter staff at Goldcar Alicante Airport (a burly (and surly) 6ft 4"+ (gentleman?) named Mr Mario Garcia Buron to be precise!) was very, very pushy (rude actually) attempting to scare me into purchasing the Goldcar costly comprehensive insurance stating nothing was covered by the initial booking e.g. tyres, windscreen, under-carriage etc etc, it just included a CDW despite what the website at rentalcars stated.

They (he) took offence when I refused their insurance despite me explaining I had my own policy purchased in the UK. Beware the 'cheap initial' cost when making a reservation. Had I been foolish enough to accept, my rental cost of £47 would have been inflated by an additional 90 euros for their insurance plus the compulsory fuel cost of 87 euros at the point of signing the contract (the car, an Opel Corsa 1.2L petrol engine has a 44 litre fuel tank capacity and the local price of fuel was 1.42 euros a litre making it 62.48 euros to fill by my calculations...) nothing is refunded is fuel is left in the tank upon return of the vehicle.

The final insult was Goldcar's insistance that they would 'quarantine' 800 euros on my credit card as I had not opted for (or rather succumbed to the bullying tactics of accepting...) their insurance. The queues at Alicante airport were the longest at Goldcar of any of the multitude of hire companies, it took well over an hour to reach the counter and my booking was made in low-season - I overheard numerous furious clients arguing over their exhorbitant additional charges whilst waiting patiently in the queue.

I have been hiring vehicles in Alicante for nearly 30 years and things have changed vastly over the years but this has to be noted as one of the most unpleasant experiences to date, surely given the state of the local economy, they would benefit from offering services operating along the lines of honesty, integrity and value for money instead of resorting to what is operational tactics akin to highway robbery?!
  • ar11
    ar11 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Unfortunately, and like many fellow travellers we were cheated by Goldcar's scam, with us it was for front AND rear bumper scratches that were at the bottom and not visible from normal viewing angle. They were certainly pre-exisiting as I was extremely careful throughout the one week rental. However at return the agent squatted under the car felt for the scratches that she new were there, took "picture evidence", and charged us 521 Euros!! And there was nothing that we could do against this abuse. This was more expensive than out whole holiday package for 2 people!

They either charge you extortionate extra insurance (and according to other forum mails, may still charge you for other uncovered stuff like 'damaged' locks), or blame any pre-exisiting damage on unsuspecting customers credit card as excess pay.
    Goldcar has a "clever" system how to plunder your credit card on the security swipe they take, and the sad thing is that you are unable to do anything about it, unless you go the legal pathway. Your credit card company does NOT protect you.

I have involved the fraud department of MasterCard and Expedia and both have declined any responsibility for this fraud. The next thing is BBC watchdog, at least as many as possible should be pre-warned. I have a feeling that Goldcar might just change name and colour and re-appear in a different name. However, they have been (mostly successfully) defrauding UK tourists since 2009.

Good luck if you have chosen 'Goldcar'. You will need it! I am sorry if it was too late as in our case. Perhaps you want to join in with us to complaint to BBC Watchdog?
  • ar11
    ar11 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I booked a rental car at Lanzarote airport through DoYouSpain. They told me to collect it from Gold Car.

Because I carry my own supplemental insurance I declined Gold Cars extra insurance for tyres etc. They required that I give them a deposit of 600 euros which they took from my credit card within minutes of signing on the 6th of March 2014 along with money for a full tank of fuel.

The car was returned on the 13th of March in the same condition as when I rented it. I asked for the return of the 600 euros and was told that it would be done immediately. Fortunately, as well as photographing the car I also photographed the young lady who accepted the keys so she will be easy to trace.

The unused fuel cost was credited to my account within a couple of days but two weeks later I am still awaiting the return of the 600 euros. DoYouSpain keep saying that they will call Gold Car and nothing happens. Gold Car started by saying that the refund takes time but now don't respond to emails and their telephone numbers are left ringing.

I am now seriously concerned that my money will not be returned voluntarily. I have informed Master Card and asked them to act on my behalf.

I feel that I should also inform the Lanzarote Guardia Civil of a possible offence but am having difficulty in obtaining their email address which even the Spanish Embassy in London can't help me with.

Does anyone have their details?

Bob.O
    I think your money is gone. They took 521 Euros for pre-exisiting scratches that they blamed on us. Despite our own photo-evidence.
    Sadly neither Expedia.co.uk nor MasterCard are helpful, in fact they have been just wasting our time in hope that we will let go.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every complaint on this thread has come from customers who have booked through brokers?

The real title of the thread should be 'Don't book car hire through brokers', because they don't tell you everything you need to know.

The other thing with Goldcar is they have different terms for people who book on their website and broker bookings, hence there are hardly any complaints from people booking from Goldcar direct.
  • Jamjar_2
    Jamjar_2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every complaint on this thread has come from customers who have booked through brokers?

The real title of the thread should be 'Don't book car hire through brokers', because they don't tell you everything you need to know.

The other thing with Goldcar is they have different terms for people who book on their website and broker bookings, hence there are hardly any complaints from people booking from Goldcar direct.

Just wondering if anyone can share a positive experience with hiring from Goldcar direct?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    ar11 wrote: »
    I think your money is gone. They took 521 Euros for pre-exisiting scratches that they blamed on us. Despite our own photo-evidence.
    Sadly neither Expedia.co.uk nor MasterCard are helpful, in fact they have been just wasting our time in hope that we will let go.
    It might be worth telling your bank you'll go to the financial ombudsman if they don't chargeback. Retailers can't just charge your card what they like when they like, you need to authorise the charge. Car hire companies will usually have a term that they can charge your card for damage etc, but if they do they need to provide some sort evidence of damage and that you did it, and that the amount is reasonable, if that's the basis for their charge.

Here are a couple of ombudsman decisions, different issues but similar principles, where the bank fobbed the customer off but the FOS upheld the complaint:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/28/28-creditcards.htm

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/26/banking-case-roundup-26.htm
  • JohnHuson
    Options
    I notice this thread is from four years ago, well this car hire company does not change. In February we had to wait one hour 50 minutes in a queue with no seating for older folks with sticks! Usual pressure to buy extra insurance which was the reason for more delays. Dirty car windows. Disgusting attitude to customers.
    It might be cheap from the offset but believe me you will pay a lot more. Do not use this horrible company. There are many others to choose from.
  • lets_stop_gold_car
    Options
    Hi, I write as the latest victim of a Gold Car scam - this time at the Faro, Portugal branch. The other posts on this thread are pretty much identical to my story - the long queues (1.5 hours with a 19 month in tow - not exactly fun at 9pm at night) and pressure to buy additional insurance once finally seen are two of the main recurring themes.

My long story short. I declined their offer of insurance and like previous posts a holding fee was applied to my card (mine was 900 EUROS). I was told to check the car which I did to the best of my ability in the pitch darkness (because it was now 2hrs after we arrived at the end of the queue) and couldn't spot anything that hadn't been mentioned in the initial report by the clerk. Fast forward 5 days to car return day. I drive in and hand my keys to the Gold Car employee with my contract. Immediately he points to a comment on my check out sheet that said "LOCK OK" (I admit I didn't think twice about the comment when I saw it first time when warning alarms should have sounded) and then points out the lock on the passenger side of the car which has the tiniest of marks on it. He then tried to tell me someone has tried to break into the car and the lock must be replaced (it still worked with the key no problem incidentally). And it will cost 300 EUROS. I'll save you the blow by blow account of the conversation but needless to say I was outraged. But it was also clear I had little wriggle room to debate with a flight leaving shortly and a tired family by my side.

My gut feel is the "LOCK OK" is a type of code they use (or similar ones) so that the check in clerk can hone in on a simple pre-existing fault to extract money from people who do not take their full insurance option. Why would someone write "LOCK OK" on a form meant to identify damage? They didn't single out the windscreen for being "OK" or the hubcaps for being "OK". It is clearly a marker.

Anyhow my story doesn't quite end there. I asked to pay the 300 EUROS (paid under duress) on my debit card as I didn't want the payment to go on my credit card. I was told my 900 EUROS had been refunded on my CC and the 300 EUROS was taken from my DC. Well guess what I've just got off the phone to my CC provider and no 900 EUROS was refunded - the charge is still on there AND I've suffered the added indignity of paying them another 300 EUROS from my DC. Now I'm faced with a long, protracted struggle to get the 900 EUROS back which I'm sure won't be easy or in fact possible at all given other experiences I'm reading about.

At first I thought the staff were utterly incompetent but now I am sure the whole staff inefficiency piece is a calculated ploy to make the check in and drop off as prolonged as possible directly impacting the one commodity its 'customers' do not have - TIME. Under pressure you forget simple things that even as an experienced traveller I am totally kicking myself about as I sit here tonight reflecting on my experience with this cowboy outfit ("LOCK OK" I should have acted upon - my fault).

Right, enough is enough. I'd never heard of Gold Car and I sure wish I had. I simply can't believe how many customers they have been ripping off for several years now and seemingly getting away with it (they are still in business and have long queues at every branch so it seems). So it begs the question - what are we to do? The time to act is now.

I am happy to build and start a website stopgoldcar.com for starters where people can post their own goldcar stories. But I'm looking for more direct action too and would welcome any advice or ideas people have on a) actions I can take to get my money back - has anyone had success here b) making more people aware and warning them from using Gold Car (with the prevalence in the rise of car rental voucher sites - this Gold Car issue will only intensify)

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure