£170000 in 10 years

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Don't under estimate work done sitting down!

My work is mostly sedentary, but doesn't make it any easier, just makes it harder to stay fit as you have to try and get your steps in outside of work!

In fact it used to be a big issue (one of many many issues I might add) with my XH who was at home all day. He used to say I couldn't possibly be tired when I got in from a day's work, as I had been sat down all day.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh yes ,i have heard people say that before ,that is very frustrating .I am trying my best but do find it a juggling act remembering to move money from one account to another ,i seem to have endless notebooks on the go ,i also do all the work for my husbands business and thats another juggling act working out appointments and accounts thats before i start on the listings on ebax so yes i guess it is a job in a way .Thank you eating the elephant.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Midweek and absolutely nothing sold this week on ebax ,i must get lots more listed today .16 pence interest paid in one of the current accounts ,food budget seems to be on track ,savings on track .Next month we are off on holiday so there will be no money coming in to our household for almost two weeks ,this will have to be made up from our savings ,i have paid for the holiday monthly so that is paid for but all the bills for the month will have to be paid so it will make an impact over the month ,not sure what if anything i can do about this yet.
    Its another beautiful day here today ,i have at last let my aga out i do miss it in the mornings it is so cosy but i have had it on since September and i have woodburners in 2 other rooms if it gets chilly again all the wood for the woodburners i have found advertised free its just been a matter of collecting it all so thats been a great saving .Two lots of washing to be hung on the line now and mortgage to be paid early ,no overpayments but hopefully save a couple of pence interest by paying early in the month rather than at the end when its due every penny helps .
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like you also have a part-time job as hubby's assistant!

Ooh, two woodburners and an Aga, how I envy you!! Next house... :D
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Options
    Yes does sound a bit like that doesnt it themadvix .They are lovely but very hard work and messy ,we use coal on the aga so there is always lots of fine black dust settling over the worktops ,blinds in fact it covers everything so has to be cleaned everyday .Also all the toing and froing through the house with bags of coal and cleaning it out every day and the same goes for the woodburners ,all the wood has to be chopped to size then ferried through the house and then cleaned out after each use i often wish i could have gas and i could just switch a button that would be bliss.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Well the end of week 15 2017 ,where have those 15 weeks gone ?This week i made £80.12 on my make £10 a day challenge so i have passed the £70 which is brilliant .Savings target for the week has been reached too and i am aiming for £13,000 by the end of the month this is in line with my £1000 a moth overall savings .Food budget is on track too .No overpayments this week but i am hoping to make a very small overpayment this month if i can keep to my budget
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Just catching up on your diary and it looks like you have had a great week Try Harder.
    I agree with Mad Vix it definitely does sound like you do have a job doing the admin for your husband's business. You do massively undervalue what you do.....so far I have gleaned from your diary ....you have brought up 5 children, you do the admin for your husband's business and run a small eBay business, you run a house and in your spare time walk the dogs and look after the grandchildren. Oh and in and amongst you have managed to save £12k this year. It doesn't. sound very lazy to me, in fact it seems to me that you are working very hard to support your husband and family. So ( with my bossy head on) I don't want to hear anymore about you being lazy - no more L word :)
    With regard to your holiday, have you thought about having an emergency/holiday fund. I have a pot of money that I don't count towards the mortgage total. This is more fluid and pays for things that crop up unexpectedly and also holidays. I don't count this in my savings totals and therefore it isn't as painful to take money out of there. I usually have about £1500/2000 in my emergency pot.
    I hope you are having a good Easter, I imagine you will have a full house. :easter:
  • try_harder
    Options
    Ah Busy mee1 you always know the right things to say ,you are always so comforting .Strange as i just posted on your page and hadnt seen this .I will try not to say the L word any more but oh i shouldnt have said that but i do feel bad when i read how hard everyone works here and i wish i could help more with the family finance ,my husband is so good he has no money himself and he lets me spend his money however i like to and i have been bad in the past and feel sorry for him still having to work so much but i will stop with the whining and think of the positives ,i have now taken control and thats good .
    We have all but one of our children here today ,she lives in London so a bit too far for her to come ,i am sad though as she loves Easter and always loves traditions but i will speak to her later this afternoon .I love to have all my children together ,it is very special to me but i never say these things i never want to put any pressure on them .
    That is a very good idea ,i dont have a holiday budget ,i am hoping to add another thousand a month to my total making £21000 by the end of the year once i reach the 20,000 i might put the one thousand in to another pot like you and carry that over to next year ,We may have a weeks holiday later this year but it will just be cheapish ,christmas will be the big crunch for me ,my budget for birthdays and christmas has been way out so that will need to be looked at for next year too and probably doubled .Thank you for all your help Busy Mee1 ,not long until your holiday now ,i am really looking forward to mine.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Today is the last day of week 16 and it has been a very quiet week on the money front i think this is because 3 of the days were Easter holidays and the rest of the week i have been unmotivated so unfortunately not one penny has been made this week on the £10 a day target ,the food budget has definitely gone out of control and i have completely lost track of it but thankfully my husband has saved the day yet again with lots of extra work and savings on track for another £1000 to be added this month -target £13000 plus one very ,very small mortgage overpayment made .Today is day 7 of my week so maybe something will sell on ebax today ,i have quite a few items listed so fingers crossed.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    I think Easter threw most people out of sync last week and I definitely noticed last year that Eb@y is really quiet during school holidays. I decided it was hardly worth listing during school holidays.
    You are still doing really well though, it is a great feeling of security having some savings isn't it ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure