PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Options

Comments

• crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »

Not trying to depress anyone! I love Christmas but am struggling to convince relatives to spend less / zero on me when they have little to spare. I am considering asking if they would limited amount to £5 and just use their imagination. Making something, buying in CS, or giving their time (I once gave my mum a voucher for a home made afternoon tea :D). Oh, maybe I could suggest we all do HM gifts, for fun?! It may appeal to MIL as nostalgic?

The big problem is MIL. She simply cannot consider spending less than currently, when in reality she could spend her money on much needed home improvements to help her daily living. I tired suggesting we just do secret santa, so limiting spending but she must buy for everyone ( and, please don't think I am ungrateful, but the items often go to waste because she buys things we already have. She is over generous but I am saddened that she could spend on her needs when I have enough so I feel guilty, iyswim).

I need to raise the issue now and see if I can lower the cost of Christmas for our family!

I understand completely. My mum was made redundant when her branch of morrisons shut, after 17 years there. And out of the blue, my sister was made redundant after 20+ years in a company. But everyone still goes OTT for Christmas, especially mum and especially with the new baby. Nothing you can say or do will make them see sense. And I hate that people will then struggle because of Christmas which should be fun and relaxing.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've got round the problem of being given 'things' for Christmas by asking not for a big present but for an 'OXFAM' gift aid instead. Both DDs buy into that readily and we've given orchards, chickens, goats, school dinners, school supplies, farm seed to sow etc. OK it doesn't sit under the Christmas tree but is way better for us than getting another vase or pair of slippers.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We've got round the problem of being given 'things' for Christmas by asking not for a big present but for an 'OXFAM' gift aid instead. Both DDs buy into that readily and we've given orchards, chickens, goats, school dinners, school supplies, farm seed to sow etc. OK it doesn't sit under the Christmas tree but is way better for us than getting another vase or pair of slippers.

That is what my Dad has always got the kids since they were small, we were keen to show them that giving to those in need is important and they have loads in comparison - was alway a laugh guessing what grandpa had bought this year Goat? Water? Mosquito nets? Lovely idea X
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Snorkypants
    Options
    If anyone is hankering after a new (second hand) Christmas cookery book, now might be the time to look - I got Delia's Christmas book yesterday on Amazon for a penny + p&p. The prices will go up nearer the time.

I've borrowed Christmas cookery books from the library too which is free of course.
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yarn arrived today for mil scarf, have been searching for a nice green gradient yarn and finally found some in a sale, so will cast on this evening so ready for posting nearer the time. Also bought 2 little gifts in Argos sale for nephews less than £6 for both
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some really good ideas, thanks everyone! It's the guilt that they are wasting their money on me.....
    I think I'll approach the brother and sisters in law to see if we can agree something and, as suggested, giving time/skills via 'vouchers' and maybe cheap HM edible would be acceptable.

wish me luck!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Apple-shaped
    Options
    for anyone looking for baskets for hampers ect.. just been on home base and they've quite a few in the sale and some reasonably priced non sale ones. Wicker,fabric, plastic ones ect.. small ones for under £2 and some large ones under £4. Stocks low at some stores though.
  • Apple-shaped
    Options
    PS.. they are under storage boxes & drawers category x
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Top tip, Apple shaped, thanks! I do two food hampers for older relatives so I shall take a look
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Handbag59
    Handbag59 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    On FB I saw a Christmas related post suggesting a different advent calendar idea. Have a box that you put something into each day to give to the food bank, they suggested dropping it off on Christmas eve but I think that would be too late!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure