PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Things you should not do...

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do not 'defrost' mince in a pyrex dish on the hob!! I was cleaning that up FOREVER!!!

Do not take the lid off the pressure cooker until it is depressurised.. standing dripping with stew is NOT a good look!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Dont.......put some bread into a toaster that you know can be dodgy and not 'pop up' sometimes, then walk away and forget about it.

Result......kitchen on fire...

I was 16 is my only defence.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »
    Dont.......put some bread into a toaster that you know can be dodgy and not 'pop up' sometimes, then walk away and forget about it.

Result......kitchen on fire...

I was 16 is my only defence.

and don't try getting it out with a knife!!!

*frazzle!!!*
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • man_of_faith
    man_of_faith Posts: 194 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dont try to hide a pre cooked chicken from Morrisons in the microwave from the cats.

Then wander what the smell is and gut the kitchen, get the kitchen sink pipes off, check under the kitchen units. Take the entire kitchen contents out of the kitchen, then find the smell has followed.

Never really use the microwave before or since
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 July 2014 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Don't buy cheap bin liners.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    and don't try getting it out with a knife!!!

*frazzle!!!*

You know even though I know it's wrong, I still go this all the time when i'm at work and in a rush...!!!
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2014 at 11:50PM
    Options
    New_start wrote: »
    Mine was putting the pot of my slow cooker in the oven with the lid on to try to speed up the heating up of the contents, but I completely forgot that lid had a plastic handle!

Me too!
    My disaster today was running the washing machine for almost a complete cycle before realising I hadn't put the washing powder in! :mad:

It took me three weeks of picking crusty deposits off the duvet covers (and clothes) to realise there was very little water going into the washing machine - certainly not enough to dissolve the washing powder.

Twenty years ago, so I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was a complete catastrophe.
    Don't but cheap bin liners.

I've lost count of the number of times I've made that mistake. They don't reach the bottom of the bin or they split while I'm carrying them (full) across the carpeted dining room on the way out for collection.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank goodness the FR chickens I now buy from Aldi come minus giblets. The number of times I've cooked them inside the bird complete with plastic bag beggars belief. Including many a turkey on Christmas Day!!!
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't drop and smash an almost full bottle of olive oil on the kitchen floor. This made me cry at the time but it taught me a valuable thing - that cat litter is great for clearing up any oil spills. It soaks up the oil and makes it so much easier to clean up. Plus it's cheap and widely available; I always keep some in now.

Don't drop a tin of custard powder before you've double-checked that the lid is on properly. The tin landed on its bottom and the contents shot out and covered just about everything and everyone in the kitchen. It took longer to clean up than the olive oil!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't trip over and drop the full and dirty cat litter onto the sofa whilst transferring it outside to be emptied and cleaned!

Don't fall asleep whilst boiling eggs (not me this time!)

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing