Charge for copies of my bank statements

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    One letter, one cheque, multiple accounts at the same bank.
  • Samuel_12
    Options
    Hi,

Just been on the phone to Nationwide, asking how I request statements on my Flex Account dating back to 1998. I was told they are £5 each, so basically around £550 to pay even before they send them out. The guy on the phone then asked was the reason why I wanted them to claim back charges, to which I said yes. He then rudely informed me that he would shut all my Nationwide accounts down if I went ahead with this. Not sure what to do now, any advice anyone? If I go ahead with this, and they give back my charges, will I also be reimbursed for the cost of getting my statements off them?

Cheers

Samuel
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    As above posts, all requests for info/statements should be put in writing using the Data Protection Act at a cost of £10 maximum and not via a phone call as all banks can and do charge for copy statements. Incidentally the limit for claiming back is 6 years.

As regards Nationwide, it does seem they are closing accounts and not just the account being claimed on. This should be reported to the Financial Ombudsman.
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An exception to the above rule is Capital One who doesn't charge a fee for providing the statements, and people seem to get them quicker just by ringing their free phone number.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • denise29
    Options
    This is my first posting, hope that anyone out there can help.

I am trying to claim bank charges from Lloyds TSB, I called them to ask for my statements going back 6 years and was told (after I had paid the £10 fee) that there would be more costs involved and the charge would be £25 per hour to get all my statements to me.

Is this right, if its not could someone out there please tell me how do I get my statements from this bank and if so what address do I write to.

Please help cause i'm sure they are trying to stall things.

Thankyou:confused:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    You need to send the letter in Martin's article, linked below where you ask for all the information/statements (ask for charge details) held on you under the DPA. Address to send to is in the first post in the Reclaim Help Thread linked to in my signature.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip
  • denise29
    Options
    Don't call them write to them using the template letter, enclose the £10 and send to:

Nationwide Building Society
    Member Account Servicing
    1st Floor Electra House
    Farnsby Street
    Swindon
    SN2 1SR

They will send you all your statements going back 6 years.

I am at the court stage now and they are fighting the claim but i'm a tough cookie and seeing as they are getting away with paying me 18 years of my bank charges (cause i'm only claiming for six and have been with this bank for 24 years) i'm going to fight them all the way.

Don't let them bully you just do it all by mail, but make sure you OPEN ANOTHER ACCOUNT and transfer all your bills and DD. Good Luck:D
  • mingmong_2
    Options
    Hi got a credit card with Solutions Finance which is ran or part of Barclays bank i think, just rang them to ask where to write to for copies of my statements, they gave me the address but also told me it will cost £3 per statement, is this right or are they just trying to put me off.
  • saint1d
    saint1d Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I went into my branch of HSBC this lunchtime to request a copy of my last 6 years statements on both my accounts, and correctly assumed they could post them out to me.

The cashier disappeared for a few mins, and came back to advise me that they would charge me £1 for every page they had to print out. Obviously I was pretty disgusted at this and asked her if this is what it actually cost the bank, to which she said yes !! The cashier estimated that the statements on both my accounts would cost me around £150.

Ok I know you said I was to write to request the info, but to be honest I would love to go back to the bank, but this time know my rights. I guess the data protection act means they have to give me the required info, but surely it's not right they can levy such high charges for doing so?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to request them using a specific phrase and then they can't charge you more than £10, no matter how many there are. I will try to find more details for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure