Options

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Minihumph wrote: »
    Hi all - quick question.

The HTB ISA's limit is £250k - does anyone know if this goes up to £500k if two people with HTB ISAs buy a house together?

Many thanks!

No it doesn't.

The £250k limit applies to the property, not the number of people buying it.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mussonn wrote: »
    Many thanks
    The 2030 is hypothetical but the minimum period to get the full 3k is about 4.5 years and that takes me to 2222.
    You might wish to consider a lifetime ISA instead then, as this is a quicker way to larger bonuses, in that you could earn £2K of bonus within a year from now and £1K/year after that.
  • zeemouse
    Options
    Hi all, I can't find the answer I'm looking for online or in this thread so I'm turning to you lot, the experts! :)

I bought my first house Feb 2017, solely, utilising the help to buy ISA bonus. My girlfriend has now moved in and has a help 2 buy ISA. I have a 2yr fixed mortgage on my own (till Feb 2019).

When it comes to re-mortgaging, we've discussed changing it so that we have a joint mortgage as tenants in common with her adding a deposit to match my value owned as much as possible; to have a more even share in the property and to pay off the mortgage quicker. Need to discuss this part with a mortgage adviser and/ or solicitor.

My question: Because she's a first time buyer, can she use her help to buy ISA + bonus to 'buy into' my property as such, as she wouldn't want to waste it of course.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    This came up in a recent thread (in the context of LISA rather than HTB but same principle) in which one of the better-informed forum members answered that if it's handled as a proper sale/purchase (rather than just remortgaging) then it should be OK.
  • Simon_Richards
    Options
    Hi all.

Not sure if this has been asked in previous posts but....

Myself and my partner shall be hoping to buy in the coming months. She is a first time buyer and has the Barclays Help To Buy ISA, i currently own a house in my own name.
    Once we buy somewhere together i intend to keep my property on in my name and rent it out. Will this have any implications on the matter or not?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    No problems, as long as the property being bought with a HTB ISA is going to be the buyer's main residence.
  • Ellabeth
    Options
    A question.
    I am going to work in Qarar for two years, can I still pay into and qualify for help to buy ISA?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Ellabeth wrote: »
    A question.
    I am going to work in Qarar for two years, can I still pay into and qualify for help to buy ISA?
    No, you can't pay into any ISA when not resident in the UK (but can keep any that are already open): https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts/if-you-move-abroad-or-die
  • smicksticks
    Options
    Hi, I wonder if someone can help me.

A friend of mine opened a help to buy isa 2 months ago and unfortunately didn't deposit the initial £1000 within 21 days. At the minute he has deposited no money at all into the ISA.

Would you possibly know is there any way for him to still take advantage of the £1000 initial deposit? E.g. Maybe close the ISA and open a new one with a different bank?

Thank you for your help :)
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I wonder if someone can help me.

A friend of mine opened a help to buy isa 2 months ago and unfortunately didn't deposit the initial £1000 within 21 days. At the minute he has deposited no money at all into the ISA.

Would you possibly know is there any way for him to still take advantage of the £1000 initial deposit? E.g. Maybe close the ISA and open a new one with a different bank?

Thank you for your help :)

He should close his existing account - and once it's closed then open a new help to buy ISA and deposit the £1000 lump sum in that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback