Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Ugh. Reading through some of my earlier entries and trying to rediscover some of the enthusiasm I used to have because I am finding everything such a slog at the moment. It's frustrating not having much progress to report either, but I want to keep posting here to keep myself accountable.
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh. Reading through some of my earlier entries and trying to rediscover some of the enthusiasm I used to have because I am finding everything such a slog at the moment. It's frustrating not having much progress to report either, but I want to keep posting here to keep myself accountable.

I feel the same. Posting here helps keeping on track. I bought something yesterday then realised last night - I don't really need it, do I? Returned today. MSE and YNAB daily logging helps. It pains me to enter reckless spending in YNAB. Reading messages on this forum (and posting) is almost therapeutic :)

ps. love your name, just saw the film - the Duchess - it's on Netflix
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Thanks Plush! Glad to know its not just me :)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Talk to anyone on here who's been through the process of paying something off whether debt or a mortgage or both and you'll find that everyone hits that wall from time to time - you can't see the progress, you can't pay anything new, so it all feels a bit meh. Remind yourself how far you've come so far though - and that you ARE still making progress, it's just that it's not always visible at a glance. Little things too - you've planned for a rent increase of X amount but it's come in under - that's great, and will mean that the difference will still be able to go to the debt too - that's great! Stuff like that thing with the toothbrush too - honestly, look back a way, would you have found that out about the warranty? I suspect not - you'd just have gone and bought a new one as it was easier!

You're getting there. One step at a time remember.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    GeorgianaCavendish Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 December 2017 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Have decided that I need to go on a reading "diet" before Christmas. Some of the blogs and threads that I regularly read are making me feel awful with the amount of money being spent and drama being caused by Christmas preparations. Hard to explain what I mean, some of it is straightforward feeling a bit envious of someone's Christmas shopping, a bit of guilt at the strictly budgeted Christmas shopping I've been doing for loved ones compared to the enormous amounts of money that people seem to be spending :eek: , but there is also a bit of weird second hand stress at reading endless lists of Christmas busywork. Does anyone else ever feel like this? It isn't necessarily things that I need or even want to do, but somehow it makes me feel stressed and guilty that I'm not doing it? Arrrrggggh! I think I have tinsilitis!!

So, I think I'm going to give a lot of my usual reading material a big swerve until we are well into January! I'm going to focus on reading some of the unread books on my Kindle. I've got the app on my phone so whenever I feel the urge to kill time by checking social media or reading a blog, I'll try to read a couple of pages of a book instead.

I feel really silly needing a strategy like this but there it is :o :rudolf: :o

I think you have a point GC. I refuse to get stressed by not doing the Christmas activities too and just treating December as a normal time of year. It might be because my son in law who loves Christmas is in hospital at the moment and will be over Christmas too so I cannot get any enthusiasm at all for it this year. I wrapped up a few presents this week and am not going overboard with food and drink this year so am keeping it as low key as possible.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Thank you EH! :) That is true, I would've just bought a new one in the sales and told myself I'd "saved" £80, regardless of the fact that they are NEVER full price!

Trying to keep myself inspired but I think this time of year is difficult with all the Christmas kerfuffle and over the top spending that surrounds me.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hate Christmas. Everything about it and if I didn't have small ones I definitely wouldn't take part in anything related to the day.

I don't have social media but reading around other places I do feel like I should be doing more for the small ones, gifts, events etc. But I think even if I wasn't trying to get rid of the debt or even if I was a millionaire I'd choose to indulge in expensive Xmas things or Huge piles of expensive presents.

So while some things make me question what I am doing and how we celebrate Xmas I soon snap back to knowing that whatever we do there will always be others doing it differently.

As long as you're happy with what you're doing and its enough for you then its enough! x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    What style of blogs do you read?

I find the lifestyle/home/family ones are quite cheesy and a lot of it is sponsored content and I always wonder would they post stuff if it wasn't sponsored or if they didn't get money from click through to websites linked on their page.

Luckily I like frugal and smallholding blogs, they don't seem to have the same one-upmanship that some blogs have and no one goes overboard with anything.

Good idea to read some Kindle books, the other alternative is to find some diaries on here and have a read. I recently finished reading one which started in 2010, it was like a good book and kept me gripped for weeks. I was almost disappointed to catch up to present day as I have to wait for posts!!!

Please don't be jealous of people's Xmas shopping, no doubt some people are getting in to debt for it whereas you are not. Your gifts will be appreciated as much as the people who are spending loads.
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weirdly (as it's been mentioned above!), I've spent the whole day reading your entire diary on and off and I just wanted to say how positive and inspirational you are!
    Also, I've taken so many tips and ideas from your posts - I've signed up to the student free trial of YNAB, added the 5 second book and Dave Ramsey books to my Amazon wish list, downloaded AVG as my virus protection ran out ages ago. I feel really motivated again now, so I definitely agree about reading other people's diaries! Thank you for posting :)
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi GC. Just echoing the various posts above about blogs, Xmas spending and debt! You’ve only got to look back through your diary to see how well you’ve done. My main online reading and listening these days is the MSE forum and things like Money to the Masses and Dave Ramsey. I’m on Pinterest but I’m saving for a new kitchen so it’s solely give me ideas!

Enjoy reading your Kindle books!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts