Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Minor celebrations today, I've managed to successfully batch cook for the past couple of weeks. Nothing earth-shattering, just chili, soup and casserole, but it is SO great to have some delicious food practically ready-to-go when I get home from work.
    Why didn't I do this years ago??
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Batch cooking gets me through the week .. oh and the slowcooker :rotfl:

Did you get the snow?

Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I'm still thinking about getting a slow cooker, I have this fantasy of waking up to creamy porridge or coming home to a delicious casserole. Of course, in this fantasy someone else does the prep and the washing up :rotfl: So I might continue with my old-school way of doing it and see how I get on.

We did get snow yesterday! :T It looked lovely but has now completely disappeared :(
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    :rotfl: google 'Dump bags' for the slow cooker. Takes batch cooking to a whole new level. I'm not that organised yet but one day!
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Ooh I will! :)
    Thanks Wannabe, I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world :)
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Really enjoying rediscovering all the unread books on my the Kindle ( posted about this last week). I'm reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed at the moment, I was so absorbed by it that I nearly missed my station this morning!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Slow cooker is the way forwards for winter cooking in particular! I drag it out on a weekend, prep everything and throw it in, and then switch it on to run overnight (Economy 7 so cheap electric overnight for us!) and leave it to cool, through the following day before portioning up and eating the first batch for that nights meal. Yum! I love having home made ready meals.

Did something similar the weekend just gone with a huge pan of roast veggies and a bit batch of cauli/broccoli/pasta cheese bake - looking forward to some of that tonight now! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Echoing EH and the slow cooker. I’m on Economy 7 as well and put it on overnight. It’s so convenient when you’re in work full time - and lush as well!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Thanks for the slow cooker votes :) Is it good for porridge? I think it would be so amazing to wake up to ready made porridge.

I'm really enjoying the fruits of my batch cooking at the weekend though. I've been having baked potatoes with batch-cooked chilli or stew for dinner, stick the potato in the oven for 30 mins and then start heating up the chilli/casserole etc. Even though it isn't a particularly quick cooking time, it is so good to have something that needs minimal attention from me, so I can multi-task with doing a bit of studying or a little bit of housework (or card writing/present wrapping this week). And so delicious and cheap! Excuse me while I have a brief smug-fest :)
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Carry on with your smugfest. It's great tonhear of them. No idea about porridge in the slow cooker, but I guess so, you can do rice pudding (although I've never done it successfully.)
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure